Picture of a recent pike

Unimexsol

Unimexsol, why I don't like leather gloves is the bulk, the increased size of the hand, and, as Budgie says, the lack of delicacy. The only reason i suggest a glove is that one of my daughters caught wheals(?) disease, a severe illness brought on by rats urine, we almost lost her. See:

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/artic...x?articleId=230

Edited by Peter Waller

Weils disease was the main reason that I started looking at gloves for myself many years back.A real dodgy disease.Im definately taking a risk with the number of small cuts and grazes I get in a season.

My recent look into gloves came about as they definately give a lot of new pikers a bit of confidence and this is really the key (IMHO) to good handling.

Uni,my main concern is the way you are holding the pike gives you very little control over the fish.Use the same grip as you would use to unhook it so you can control its head and support its body with your other hand.If you arnt sure about this or any other handling/unhooking technique then please say and I will gladly spend a day with you.

In fact maybe time for another AN Pike Teach In? Dont know if my health is up to organising one at the moment but if not if anyone does want to sort one then let me know and I will gladly come along with all the gear.For those who havnt been to one /know the format try searching on here for the previous ones.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Weils Disease is truly nasty. I know of one canoist who caught it, and a neighbours dog died from it. Even in what seems like a large stretch of water Weils disease does not get watered down, also as rats constantly urinate it can be caught from pretty much anything. Where I fish is crawling with rats (some of them are big buggers too!) so I try to be careful.

Gloves do give me a bit more confidence when handling pike, I'll take on board your comments about those gloves and will get some different ones.

Curious about the handling, I've always picked up Pike with one hand supporting the head and another further along the body. Should I be keeping my fingers in the gill plates then?

Curious about the handling, I've always picked up Pike with one hand supporting the head and another further along the body. Should I be keeping my fingers in the gill plates then?

Yes.If you use your "unhooking" hold (be it chin or jaw) you will greatly improve your grip on the fish and minimise any chance of dropping it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi, here is good video on how to handle pike. Any comments made by forumers about pike handling , on any thread, are always made with the best of intentions (pike welfare).

Youtube Video ->

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

The only things I'd add is that (1) that's the reason I always wear waterproof trousers when piking! and (2) I'd have used the landing net to take the fish back to the water rather than carrying it over that rocky shore.

I don't use gloves for unhooking because I don't like the loss of sensitivity, but the comments re weils disease are certainly relevant. Something for me to think about.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Weils disease (leptospirosis(spp)) isnt the issue you may think yes there is a risk but its mainly from bankside pudddles where the bacteria are concentrated enough to cause problems things like antibacterial gels are far more use than sporadically covering your hands other than that it is possible to be innoculated against it (i have been as I had to undertake some work years ago on a sewerage plant)

if you get a cold that lasts longer than usual get to the docs and let them know there is the chance of weils disease

other nasties out there are worse risks lyme disease form ticks tb from badgers

if you worry about these too much youd never get out