How stupid am I (Very pleased though!)

MatNewman

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might have inadvertently solved a puzzle, that's been running through a few forums Mat.

The 'Big Perch' thread.

The pic of the fish on the ground is reported as 3lb+. Using the cig packet as a guide, I estimate the length as around 13ins, which would make it at most, a little under 1.5lbs.

If digital scales were used, set at kilos, then a reading of say .325, could be read as 3 1/4 lb, where in fact it's about 1lb 5oz, (if my maths are right) which is about right in proportion to it's length.

Just a thought.

John.

(Edit)

One of the most stupid, (and embarrassing) things I've ever done, was submit a post to an angling forum, in which the maths was so far out it was ridiculous. :headhurt:

A digital weight of .325 would be about 12oz not 1lb 5oz, it would need to register about .600 to be that.

In my defence I can only say I must have had a 'blonde' moment, (no mean feat with the amount of hair I've got) ;) .

The only surprising thing is that nobody corrected the maths, are you all being polite, or was it a mass 'blonde' moment. :blink:

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Sorry double post.

It took so long to add that I tried again.

Is it just me or is the site very slow lately?

Has Elton broken it? :o:)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think my best was many years ago, decided to drive 85 miles for a night session beachcasting at Orford in Suffolk.

Stopped at Woodbridge to pick up the lugworm I had remembered to order and to buy food so I was well prepared.

Arrived at Orford and unloaded everything from the car

well, everything but my rods, which were still leaning on the garage wall at home :headhurt:

Still, it was a nice drive

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

You might have inadvertently solved a puzzle, that's been running through a few forums Mat.

The 'Big Perch' thread.

The pic of the fish on the ground is reported as 3lb+. Using the cig packet as a guide, I estimate the length as around 13ins, which would make it at most, a little under 1.5lbs.

If digital scales were used, set at kilos, then a reading of say .325, could be read as 3 1/4 lb, where in fact it's about 1lb 5oz, (if my maths are right) which is about right in proportion to it's length.

Just a thought.

John.

Interesting thought Gozzer. My first thought was that fish should weigh 1.5lb too. I expect it was a genuine mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.

Scales can be misleading for many reasons - I've had my fair share of wierd weighings over the years, and especially this year!

On topic, I went fishing with goosequill a couple of Sundays ago. I got everything ready, which didn't take long as we were travelling light and just taking a bag, rod, net and chair, fishing for a couple of hours into dark. The only thing I needed to do was swap some bits and pieces around in my little tackle box so I had the right hooks, weights, etc. in there. Once that was done, I put everything in the car and went off to meet him. Leaving the tackle box, all neat and organised, in the shed. And my headtorch with it.

Having to beg for a hook and a couple of swan shot is a bit embarassing, and using the light from a phone to rebait in the dark is not easy :rolleyes: Still, at least there was someone to scrounge off.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A 70 mile trip to night fish at Scarborough, only to find out we'd read the wrong Tide Table, and the tide was out. Spent the night fishing in about 3ft of water in the harbour, we caught nothing.

Had to leave in the morning, just as the tide was coming in.

Gone fishing without my reels, and had to fish with borrowed line tied to my rod tip. Caught a few dace though.

Went by bus, to fish the Aire in Leeds, bought maggots on the way. I use a maggot bag, which I hung over the leg of my folding chair, strapped to my haversack.

Tackled up, looked for my bait, it must have dropped off on the 20min walk from the tackle shop.

I was just about to take my gear down, when a work mate turned up, (not fishing). He kept an eye on my gear while I walked back to the shop for more bait. 45 mins later I got back exhausted, to see my mate putting the landing net under a good roach. He'd cadged some maggots from another angler, and had been catching roach for the last half hour. I almost had to wrestle the rod from him!

Arrived early to peg out a match on a length of the Ouse. Got back to the draw site, to find another club arriving. We'd pegged the wrong length, we should have been on the length above!

We left our pegs in place, borrowed the other clubs pegs, and then had to peg out 'our' length.

We had to take 'stick' from the rest of the club on every match for the rest of the season, and for a good few seasons after. <_<

John.

Makes me feel a bit better about the original weight that I guessed it at, when you said that I was weigh off (sorry couldn't resist the pun) had to guess massively over despite what my eyes were telling me.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to have left the bait at home too! :rolleyes:

This Monday I went fishing with a mate to a commercial that was new to us. we were both fishing ledgered magots on a bait alarm and using a pole in the margins. I heard my alarm beeping so put my pole down to strike into a nice fish on the rod. As I shouted to my mate that I was into oone I could only look on in horror as my pole shot off into the pond. I had put my pole down with the hook just in the water.

luckily there was a rowing boat in the next peg so I handed my rod to my mate and set off to retreive my pole.

I landed a 2.5 Lb Barbel on my pole but my mate landed a 4.5 Lb Ghostie, I never even got to see it, I was too busy chasing my pole in the pouring rain.

To top it all my mate took pictures of me to show to everyone.

LOL - the real comfort in reading all these stories is that it is only people who fish a lot and have success who can manage the occasional dumb stunt.

At least I hope that is the case since otherwise there is no way for me to excuse several rods and one tackle box (all done at different times) that are now on a lake bottom rather than at home waiting for my next trip.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President