Hard Duck

MatNewman

Hello All,

Forgot to mention this earlier. Anyway - I went fishing on Saturday and was amazed when a mallard swooped onto the pond and grabbed what looked like a small roach! The fish must have been about 5/6 inches long! The duck had the fish in his mouth for a few minutes with his duck friends all trying to steal it, eventually he turned it his mouth and swallowed it whole.

I didnt think ducks ate fish! I have since been on a few sites and cant find any reference to them eating fish as part of their diet. I did however read about their sexual activity and found it quite amusing - See below (Source - Wikipedia)

"Mallards also have rates of male-male sexual activity that are unusually high for birds. In some cases, as many as 19% of pairs in a Mallard population are male-male homosexual[7].

When they pair off with mating partners, often one or several drakes will end up "left out". This group will sometimes target an isolated female duck — chasing, pestering and pecking at her until she weakens (a phenomenon referred to by researchers as rape flight), at which point each male will take turns copulating with the female. Male Mallards will also occasionally chase other males in the same way. (In one documented case, a male Mallard copulated with another male he was chasing after it had been killed when it flew into a glass window"

Hello All,

"When they pair off with mating partners, often one or several drakes will end up "left out". This group will sometimes target an isolated female duck — chasing, pestering and pecking at her until she weakens (a phenomenon referred to by researchers as rape flight), at which point each male will take turns copulating with the female. Male Mallards will also occasionally chase other males in the same way. "

I once saw the above happen - it was a bit disturbing to witness - a female was being royally harrassed by about ten males and often one male attempted to copulate and they both disappeared beneath the waters surface. After about 10 minutes or so of this, I think the female had drowned.

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Arf!

My garden backs onto a park with ponds and duck rape has been spotted a few times. My wife sometimes chases the males off. Also seen one eat a pretty hefty frog. Lovely.

You may wish to rephrase this. I can almost picture the Crimewatch episode now.

"Following the attempted sexual assault police are seeking a male with a green head and large bill."