Advice on waggler fishing

Sportsman

I'll bet when I get the answer to this it will be obvious.

When I was fishing a carp fishery the other day I was advised to fish tight to an island about 4 rod lengths out. I was using a crystal insert waggler taking 3bb.

The wind was a bit gusty from my right to left and if I didn't sink the line the float was being dragged off position rapidly.

I know how to sink the line by casting beyond the desired point, putting the rod tip underwater and winding back, but how do you do that casting to the island without pulling you float too far away from the island?

Is that why they use those poles, I knew there had to be a reason :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I'll bet when I get the answer to this it will be obvious.

When I was fishing a carp fishery the other day I was advised to fish tight to an island about 4 rod lengths out. I was using a crystal insert waggler taking 3bb.

The wind was a bit gusty from my right to left and if I didn't sink the line the float was being dragged off position rapidly.

I know how to sink the line by casting beyond the desired point, putting the rod tip underwater and winding back, but how do you do that casting to the island without pulling you float too far away from the island?

Apparently you can submerge the tip below the water and 'strike' upwards with it so the tip stops just before the surface, I've not had much success trying this though... can anyone else explain better how this works.... or if I've made it up? :-)

Edit - ahhh twitching it down, that might explain why it never worked for me :-)

Edited by Errrm

That's why! Nasty expensive things, though. Anyway, what advantage would a waggler have over a light leger/quivertip rig in this situation?

That's why! Nasty expensive things, though. Anyway, what advantage would a waggler have over a light leger/quivertip rig in this situation?

The advantage for me would be that I had a waggler, but I didn't have the other stuff you mention. :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Guest Wilko 09

Sportsman,

Try back shotting, that's where you place a small shot about a foot behind the float (between the float and the tip ring) and use a line sinkant or washing up liquid solution on the last metre of line.

Martin

Another good tip is to put a few drops of washing up liquid on a sponge that you attach to a rod rest - cast out, place the rod on the sponge (between the top 2 eyes works best) and reel in. This can be repeated as necessary. It's a technique I used to use a lot in my late teens when match fishing in similar situations to this. I don't use it often now as I have a pole, but it's still useful when fishing beyond pole range and not wanting to use a feeder or lead.

Will

Dave ,the technique you need to use is called "cutting".Developed by the commercial match anglers for just the situation you describe.Some have come close but here is how I was shown to do it and it certainly does work.Dead easy as well.

Cast out and dont wind in any slack.Push the tip of your rod well under the water sinking as much of the line as you can and strike up wards.This will cut the floating "belly" section of the line under the water without having to wind the float towards you and therefore out of position.Give it a go its really easy.

I always use Maxima mono for all my waggler work be it still or river. Sinks well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dave ,the technique you need to use is called "cutting".Developed by the commercial match anglers for just the situation you describe.

Crikey, I didn't know that had a name. They should have just asked, I've been doing it for years :lol:

(To be fair, that's not exactly what I do, but the key points of bow in the line and very sharp yank to sink the line without moving the float are something I thought everyone used)