connecting two pc`s together?

billy50000

Hi all

right,i brought this little pc thing from the local tip and its a smart little thing(touchscreen till machine)

its a PC-POS by javalin systems running windows 98

its got an ethernet port and also three serial ports which look like ethernet ports but no (old fashioned)serial port

ive done old serial connection with two pcs before but ethernet seems to catch me at a loss.

i did the host/guest thing etc but still it wont connect the two?

can somebody help me with this prob as im trying to use my xp machine to help upgrade and fix some errors on the 98 machine!

connecting via ethernet seems the only way

the 98 doesnt have a cd rom drive otherwise id use that method etc etc

all i have is the serial (compliment of ports on the 98(3x serial(ethernet looking things)1x ethernet /1x odd floppy port(maybe some kind of mini scsi)1x parallel port and the rest are audio inputs.

any type of rundown of the networking procedures of the two OS steps would make me a happy bunny:)

Thanks for any help you can give:)

steve

im prepared to start from scratch with all this host/guest malarki:)so shoot away!

my host machine is running xp pro(before i forget

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

Its a Javlin wedge made by PC-POS.

If you need any info or spec, should be able to help as i work for PC-POS

You can connect the network ports together so long as the cable you are using is a cross-over cable.

PS:- Its actually a till from a retail shop

Edited by melpen

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Hi melpen

yep and a cool till pc:)lol

il have to get a crossover cable then:(i assumed i could get away with a straight through ethernet cable from one pc to another:)

i found i can upgrade the memory(as its old :)to something higher than 64mg:)hopefully

its got a useful program onboard called symantec pc anywhere(which may or maynot help?

it still has the till software on it:)god knows what else yet(gonna snoop later:)lol

i was looking for an incar pc(or some use:) and i saw this in the pile of televisions and brought it for a screen basically and found it to be a pc:)

if you can help find any info on it,its a

javalin inc

2013000-001(12.1 TFT)

BLACK L.C

PN-53000018 rev A

MODEL LCP

it has afew file errors like

msvxd.exe(which is why im looking to do a file repair etc)

any help or info would be grately recieved:)#

steve

Edited by billy50000

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

What tends to happen when these PC`s boot up they should boot straight into the till software, but if it cannot detect the receipt printer, bar code scanner or another type of external hardware, it will cause an error.

It is not a matter of de-installing the till software as it has been embedded into windows 98.

You may need to format the hardrive and re-install windows98, but then you will lose the touch screen capability, which is not going to be a problem because i can get hold of the program. Its called micro-touch or ELO. I think you can download it from PC-pos web site.

To connect PC to PC without the use of a hub ie:- network port to network port you will need a cross-over cable.

I will get some info together.

I now have info, alot of it. including tech tips :thumbs:

Can you check the size of the hardrive and let me know, because the max size is 2Gb, but there is a known cheat to allow larger size.

Edited by melpen

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Hi melpen:)

Your spot on with the load up thing,it states an error when looking for the host till networks etc but it has since had an error on quickaddress rapid which shouldnt be a problem to sort by uninstalling it.

also its now looking for a dual wheelmouse v5.41(95/98)which isnt with it but ive just installed it into the serial to try and get rid of the message!:)(even though its not presant and ive just fiound it failed to rid the issue but its not a problem really.:)

its quicksell 2000 pos internal error

error 3024 couldnt find file etc

Q:/qs2000/data/107presdata.mdb

qs will now terminate etc etc:)

max HD space is 3.01gb(not bad really for such a small thing:)lol

il get a crossover off ebay(they are just standard crossovers??

if so il get a 5metre one..(pretty cheap too)

il PM you my email addy and if you find any goodies for it,feel free to make me very happy:)anything i can do to return the favour just ask:)

im not sure what cpu it has though and im restricted on graphics it seems:(

steve

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

cant find the part number PN-53000018

Trying to find which model you have any other numbers?

Does it look like a wedge of cheese which is the normal type of Javelin.

Or is the Screen on a base that you can tilt with the motherboard in the base

Edited by melpen

[/img] http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/bill...turenew1202.jpg [/img]

[/img] http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/bill...turenew1203.jpg[/img]

Hi

it looks like a square 3-4inch thick screen with a fixed (4 screws )stand which attaches to the back of the screen

it has no kind of card reader like many of the new ones.

it is white and basically looks like a small flat(3-4inch thick monitor) screen with the mother board built in with(i assume)heat shield type panels along the top of the back of the screen.

i can take a piccy if you email me your addy and il do a piccy now:)

as for more numbers,im afraid the only other is a bar code number(51616)?

sorry i cannot be more help mate

from the side it looks like a arrowhead shape which if sitting has to be propped up at the back to see properly(if that helps:)Lol

no onscreen buttons at all.

not sure what else to add really mate,its pretty a pretty plain little machine looks wise.

steve

soddin tags:(

Edited by billy50000

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

ok Its the Javelin LC 12-1 Active PL not the wedge,

Have sent you schematic (LC 12-1 Active PL.pdf)

Have sent you docs that i have, will have to dig deeper in archive.

Will send, when I find them.

For your info machine was used in either a Pub (unlikly because of colour) or costa coffee(more likley)

If you have any questions you would like to ask with ref: PC, please do my technical team will have the answers.

I think I may still be able to get spare parts, need to check racking in warehouse

Hi, melpen, like billy50000 i am trying to connect a laptop to the PC. i have the crossover cable do i need anything else.

PC is running XP and the laptop Vista, will this make a difference.

I've tried connecting using the laptop but as i dont know what im doing i havent got very far.

Do i need to connect using the PC maybe.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

No XP and Vista are compatable.

You need to connect the cross-over cable to your network ports. Making sure the ports are enabled and the drivers loaded.

Then give your XP machine an I/P address 192.168.1.1 and a sub net mask of 255.255.255.0 and a computer name eg:HOME

Then on your laptop I/P address of 192.168.1.2 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a computer name of eg:LAPTOP

You could use server assigned i/P addresses and DHCP but i find this a pain when you want both PC`s to use the internet at the same time.