Buying A Rod For A Youngster

Elton

Posted on behalf of Cris. Please add all replies to this thread:

I need to buy a fishing rod for my son's sixth birthday: just for pond fishing. Would a roach pole be best, and if so:

1) What make/model should I go for?

2) Where can I buy it considering that I live in Highgate (London N6)?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

IMHO kids should always be started off fishing with a float for small fish/whatever comes along.A shortish whip (up to about 5m) but kept light is a good starting point.If you do buy a rod and reel combo please dont get one of those stupid "Boys" rods that are in effect short spinning rods.Get a proper float rod.Yes if the kid isnt big enough to handle a full size 13' match rod then fine but these days there are plenty of good quality,reasonably priced 10 or 11' match/float/cannal rods available.

Far better to start them off with the right gear and cheaper in the long run.I made a "Mimi" match rod for my grandson when he was very young and small from a broken full size one,completely scaled down both length (and diameter of handle) to his size.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Far better to start them off with the right gear and cheaper in the long run.

At age 7, I started with two garden cans, joined with brass ferrels, straightened and patterned over the gas ring, and with modified safety pins whipped on with cotton for rod-rings.

A cork handle and a wooden reel.

It's not so much the rod as when the float goes under, that's important at that age :)

(Actually still the same now, I never did grow up much!!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

At age 7, I started with two garden cans, joined with brass ferrels, straightened and patterned over the gas ring, and with modified safety pins whipped on with cotton for rod-rings.

God how I hate you tackle tarts! :rolleyes:;)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Posted on behalf of Cris. Please add all replies to this thread:

Is that the Chris/Cris (?) who approached me at Highgate bus stop ?. I suggested he log on here for the free and friendly advice. :-)

In terms of places to buy theres Ebay and plenty of online Tackle shops.

Theres been a recent thread on Tackle shops in the N London area. The closest to you will be Sharps in Gospel Oak or theres one in Finchley.

To give AN regulars some background - I spoke to Chris/Cris about fishing Hampstead ponds. He used to fish when he was younger and his boy is now showing an interest.

For a child/beginner I'd recommend the boating pond. I've been the last couple of weeks and caught plenty of gudgeon, small perch and last week a small Crucian.

I agree with Budgies advice - a whip or roach pole is ideal, I'm thinking getting one myself. I also agree with him about those Boys rods, I see a lot of kids on the heath trying to fish with those and getting into all sorts of difficulties.

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

please dont get one of those stupid "Boys" rods that are in effect short spinning rods.Get a proper float rod.Yes if the kid isnt big enough to handle a full size 13' match rod then fine but these days there are plenty of good quality,reasonably priced 10 or 11' match/float/cannal rods available.

Sorry Budgie, but I disagree. If the boy is only 6 years old then a 6ft 2pc rod or even an extendable rod will be far easier for him to handle. Fine, he might want to progress to a "proper" rod in a year or two's time but spending £20 (if that) on a little starter rod is not a false economy.

I started with a little 6ft rod a short while ago (ish, less than 30 years anyway), and I still use it on occasion for float fishing. I can honestly say that I've caught more fish on that little rod than all my others put together. At 6 years old I don't think that I would have been able to control a longer rod.

It will be easier to set up, look after, and control for a young lad, and yet still capable of landing a decent fish on. I would suggest that spending a little more and getting a reasonable reel would be a better investment.

If you want the child to enjoy fishing (and to grow up enjoying fishing!) please do not buy one of the so called "starter kits" or "childrens kits".

They are absolute rubbish! Buying one of those for a child will put him off fishing for life when the reel packs up or the tackle fails in some way. They are designed to catch the would be angler - not fish!

I would far rather spend a few bob extra and get a decent rod that he/she can use for a while, and buy a second hand reel (I've got a couple in the shed, as have most anglers).

If you set the child up right, they will be able to enjoy the sport much more, and that is what we anglers want the youngsters to do.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription