Centrepin question

Jigotai

For a little while now I have been making myself a centrepin reel. I have almost finished, just a bit of polishing and plating to do.

While playing with the ratchet and seeing how long it spins for, as you do, I started to wonder about the weight. With this in mind I weighed it and it came in at 265 gms. Now can any of you regular users of centrepins tell me whether this is heavy for a pin or not.

Thanks

Andy

For a little while now I have been making myself a centrepin reel. I have almost finished, just a bit of polishing and plating to do.

While playing with the ratchet and seeing how long it spins for, as you do, I started to wonder about the weight. With this in mind I weighed it and it came in at 265 gms. Now can any of you regular users of centrepins tell me whether this is heavy for a pin or not.

Thanks

Andy

265gms, that's about 9oz in real money, (I never went metric).

I don't think that's too heavy Andy, I'd guess my Aerial weighs more than that.

I think too much is made of weight, as long as the rod is balanced, with the reel attached, a couple of ounces are not going to make a difference.

I tried it myself many years ago. It took me ages to scrounge the materials, I'd turned the spool and back plate, got the bushes, and bearing housing, spindle and reel mounting, all ready to assemble, and some swine broke into the work place and stole a load of gear, my 'pin included. I was gutted.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Shots for fun

Hi there,

The weight range of most centre pins is between 250gms and 280gms so you appear to be spot on, please post some photo's when you have finnished the reel. :thumbs:

Not bad at all. Out of interest I've weighed mine roughly on kitchen scales:

Allcocks Match Aerial - 280g

Free Spirit Match Aerial - 325g (Didn't realise I'd got two of these - bit of a suprise!)

Youngs Rapidex 2 (narrow) - 260g

Arnold Kingpin - 325g

Youngs B.J. Lightweight - 225g

Paul

How big is it? I've got a wide drum 4in 1920's Paul Witcher - which weighs in at 220g - this is my lightest reel (hence gets used the most). I have a Chris Lythe 1915 Avon which is smaller but heavier at 245g. My Youngs Purist - which is 4½in weighs in at a hefty 310g.

Weight certainly is a consideration - a full day's trotting can give me serious RSI in my wrist with a heavy reel!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to get the polishing and plating done and wish I had lightened it first.

When I finish it I'll post some pictures and maybe do a report.

John, I bet you were gutted, I know too well the time that gets put into something like that.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't want to get the polishing and plating done and wish I had lightened it first.

When I finish it I'll post some pictures and maybe do a report.

John, I bet you were gutted, I know too well the time that gets put into something like that.

Andy, is it going to be a bright shiny one like most of the new ones seem to be? :rolleyes:

Or are you more of a traditionalist?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

How big is it? I've got a wide drum 4in 1920's Paul Witcher - which weighs in at 220g - this is my lightest reel (hence gets used the most). I have a Chris Lythe 1915 Avon which is smaller but heavier at 245g. My Youngs Purist - which is 4½in weighs in at a hefty 310g.Weight certainly is a consideration - a full day's trotting can give me serious RSI in my wrist with a heavy reel!C.
It's 4 1/2" dia with a narrow drum.
Andy, is it going to be a bright shiny one like most of the new ones seem to be? :rolleyes: Or are you more of a traditionalist? John.
At the moment it's bright and shiny, but I'm going to get it black anodised. Some of the smaller parts I have made out of stainless steel and these will be polished.

Not bad at all. Out of interest I've weighed mine roughly on kitchen scales:

Allcocks Match Aerial - 280g

Free Spirit Match Aerial - 325g (Didn't realise I'd got two of these - bit of a suprise!)

Youngs Rapidex 2 (narrow) - 260g

Arnold Kingpin - 325g

Youngs B.J. Lightweight - 225g

Paul that's quite a collection of reels, have you got a favourite?

Definitely the 60's Alcocks Match Aerial - I must have it refurbished though. I keep promising myself to send it off to have it professionally done.

Paul