Earths Wildest Waters - The big fish

wotnobivvy

Sorry folks but its about time we stopped knocking every fishing tv program. Good or not in our opinions it still promotes angling. Yes we all loved a passion for angling but those shows are very few and far between and apart from anglers not really watched by the general population. TV has tried many variations over the years some good and some bad , but to put down every show that promotes angling will only see it decline further.

• Like 1

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Sorry folks but its about time we stopped knocking every fishing tv program. Good or not in our opinions it still promotes angling. Yes we all loved a passion for angling but those shows are very few and far between and apart from anglers not really watched by the general population. TV has tried many variations over the years some good and some bad , but to put down every show that promotes angling will only see it decline further.

If this particular show brings in new recruits in droves, and if they were attracted by the garbage dished up by the (less than?) average TV producer/presenters who serve up this bilge, then I don't want to be fishing amongst them.

Am I an angling snob? I don't think so, but I don't care if I am or if anyone thinks I am. :fishing1:

• Like 3

Not knocking every programme, just this one. The camera work was vastly inferior to that shown on APFA, inferior to that of "River Monsters" and inferior to that of the Robson Green series.

I agree with Ayjay, angling is not so desperate for recruits that we should accept any old rubbish served up by an increasingly uncritical TV industry.

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Watched the first episode, fell to sleep. Missed the second.

Didn't watch many of Robson's either. I would imagine most fisherman would be driven mad if they were trying to fish with him on the bank. Most fishing programs seem to be trying to bring a bit of the football supporter mentality to fishing. All that shouting and 'high fives' is not what angling is about for me.The last series where an ex athelete and his mate were taking others fishing was much the same.

Sorry if that upsets, and nothing against football, but they are about as different as you can get.

• Like 1

There are few angling programmes that I really like, some I can tolerate if there's nothing else on the box, and others I can't stand. This latest effort is not my 'cup of tea', it's more 'Strictly come angling, with a big brother bake off challenge' type of programme. The one with Dean what's his face, and little Ali I couldn't stand. That's how it should be. Just because it's about angling, doesn't mean we should all automatically like it. We all have different tastes and preferences within angling, so what appeals to one, might not appeal to others.

Personally, I don't think that angling is a very good spectator pastime, it's as much about what's going on in your mind, as what you're actually doing.

Ayjay's right, in saying that anyone taking up angling solely on the basis of this type of programme, doesn't do any of us any favours. I've been called an 'angling snob', and even an elitist for saying this before, but that's by people who don't know me. I prefer to think of myself, and those of a similar mind, as trying to protect angling from being dragged even further into the commercial mire, that it's already paddling in.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

In terms of what this does for angling, I like the fact that they have men and women of different ages and backgrounds. So many people think angling is for old men sitting by the canal in the rain, catching nothing and complaining about things. I like the fact that they are introducing the audience to some (mostly) likeable people who love to fish.

I like the way that the format is exposing how much of a part luck does and doesn't play - you can see that, but you can also see that some of them are just better than others, even when thrown into unfamiliar territory.

I like the way that the show is finding a new angle on the angling travelogue format by chucking some ordinary people into new situations.

My nephew and niece asked me to take them fishing after watching Robson Green. They don't act like he does on the bank, but he did fire their interest.

I used to think as you do Steve, but my opinion has changed over time.

Your nephew and niece are lucky in having an uncle that fished, and could explain things to them. Those that aren't so lucky, often copy what they see on these programmes, because they don't know any different. I feel the demise of the old type angling clubs has partially caused this. They were places where new anglers, young and old, could get a grounding in the basics, and progress. Now many just get the tackle they are told they need, and head to the nearest commercial type water, and fish. In my experience, they are often surrounded by 'anglers', that started the same way, so it becomes an ongoing thing, that eventually becomes the norm'. We had the noisy, couldn't care less ones around 'back in the day', but they were soon shown the error of their ways by the rest of the members.

This latest programme is not as bad as the Dean Macey and Ali one, but I feel it's trying too hard to be 'all things to all people', and falling short of being much of anything.

One thing that struck me though, was how old Matt Hayes looks, It made me feel positively ancient. :wheelchair:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

That's a wider problem, though, of the culture of angling not being passed down because people are not entering the sport at their grandfather's knee, or via a club of older people. It's not directly the result of TV, and it looks as if the choice may be people entering the sport via other routes or extinction. And, to be honest, there is such a variety of personalities in this group that people will get a broader idea of what it's like to be an angler than if they just watched Robson Green or John Wilson or Rex Hunt. It's not all hollerin' and whoopin', certainly not from the older posh lady anyway!

How a non-angling TV critic sees it;

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/earth-s-wildest-waters-the-big-fish-bbc2-review-great-british-fish-off-should-be-a-flop-but-the-a6698821.html

Last review of a fishing programme I read in the Independent was of a John Wilson episode twenty odd years ago and included the phrase "murders a family of trout", so I would say that is pretty positive.