prowler15 elite or trident

Coastal Kayak Tours

thanks for the reviews of the trident and pics to. however no one seems to make a clear statment as wich is better. i have the elite 15 from new zealand this boat rocks. it has fish finder spot, transducer holes, and moter mount brackets. very well thought out. does anyone have an opinion on if they think the trident is better or worse than the elite 15. one of the guides in my company is going to buy a new yak. so any help would be great. my web site is www.coastalkayaktours.com and there is a direct link to my e-mail there. i have some good picture of the fish we have caught on kayaks and if you like sailing and kayaking check out the link to the hobie adventure island. these boats rock and get us out to places we could never paddel to and with the free power of the wind. it has opened the door to the peligic fishing for us. aloha tight lines and screaming reals. Boogie-D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the reviews of the trident and pics to. however no one seems to make a clear statment as wich is better. i have the elite 15 from new zealand this boat rocks. it has fish finder spot, transducer holes, and moter mount brackets. very well thought out. does anyone have an opinion on if they think the trident is better or worse than the elite 15. one of the guides in my company is going to buy a new yak. so any help would be great. my web site is www.coastalkayaktours.com and there is a direct link to my e-mail there. i have some good picture of the fish we have caught on kayaks and if you like sailing and kayaking check out the link to the hobie adventure island. these boats rock and get us out to places we could never paddel to and with the free power of the wind. it has opened the door to the peligic fishing for us. aloha tight lines and screaming reals. Boogie-D

I have paddled both and have to say that I preferred the Trident,that is not to say that the P45 elite isn't a great yak and as you say---very well thought out. Ocean Kayaks have put a lot of thought(and no doubt money!) into making the Trident a serious fishing vessel and the fact that they had top kayakfishermen involved in the design is obvious for all to see.

Fishing kayaks are developing so quickly and comprehensively now(especially in O.K.s case)that a year old model like the P45 Elite looks dated against the mod cons provided with the Trident and now that O.K. have enlisted the help of Experienced yakfishermen, the future is certainly looking rosy :clap2:

go on, get a Trident---you know you want to! :yeah:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

After fishing from both the Elite 4.5 and the Trident in the same day I must admit to favouring the Trident. I have paddled a p15 and it is a lovely yak and very responsive but there is no advantage for fishing situations over the Trident in my opinion.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

I'd say take the advice of Richi and GB as they have done more serious fishing in the Trident than I and I haven't tried the Elite. As an (relatively) experienced Prowler 15 junkie I still favour it as a bare yak, but the Trident gives me much, much more as a fishing craft. Accessible stowage, storage for fish, greater surf stability and a vastly superior rigging potential. It's heavier than the P15, but so is the Elite (which IIRC is heavier than the Trident).

If I was facing large fish on a regular basis, it'd be Trident without a doubt.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Theres lots of cuddling and backslapping going on over the Trident and its undoubtedly a fine Kayak. However I personally did not like it when I took it out on the recent conger meet. :yucky: However this was more do do i'm sure with the type of fishing I was doing ( inshore lure chucking). If I'd been able to prize it away from the other lads for a spot of night fishing loaded up my opinion may well have been more positive. The answer to the '' whats best'' question is there is no answer , all depends how your going to use them :thumbs:

Ok Prowler 13

However this was more do do i'm sure with the type of fishing I was doing ( inshore lure chucking). If I'd been able to prize it away from the other lads for a spot of night fishing loaded up my opinion may well have been more positive.

I think that's spot on Martin. I wasn't happy with it as a bare boat at all, and it needs a decent paddle and some getting used to as well as some weight. For a quick trip, light gear, my P15 is the craft of choice. I'm hoping to bag up a freezer full of cod this winter though as I love eating fish and haven't had any for weeks.

I think that's spot on Martin. I wasn't happy with it as a bare boat at all, and it needs a decent paddle and some getting used to as well as some weight. For a quick trip, light gear, my P15 is the craft of choice. I'm hoping to bag up a freezer full of cod this winter though

so am I in 2 weeks Snapper :rolleyes::thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I am with Martin on this one. The Trident is great fishing kayak (hold on to that) for the guy that wants to carry lots of ready to access gear or the bigger paddler who is fed up paddling a barge. However, for the guy that carries just what he needs or wants to enjoy the paddling experience then there are others in the OK range that will suit better.

My likes are the storage and thats it really. My dislikes are the high volume which gives the impression of sitting on a raft, it almost needs ballast for someone my size (unfortunately I like to travel light). Having to add weight is never a good thing. The high seating position (thats a personal thing). It picks up windage due to the high sides and as a paddling experience I would best describe it as neutral. None of these are flaws and many may see them as an advantage but equally it is only fair that these should be highlighted as charachteristics (wheres spell check when you need it) that may influence individual choices.

The only flaw I do see in the design is the placement of the crate. It seems a long way back from the seating area. May be I just need to get longer arms. Oh and I still don't get the Finder cover. Should be marked up "sandwhiches" :D

Would I recommend it? Yes I would but not for all. OK should be congratulated for designing a Yak for such a specific minority use. That is a brave but calculated business decision that I know will bring them benefits. But I'm with Martin on this "cuddling and backslapping" I think for the Tridents benefit some objectivity needs to be included.

So thats me off OKs christmas list then :P:D

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I'd like to quote you - and others who've tried the Trident - on my review thread if I may. The more balance and more individual users who give feedback on that thread, the more use it will be to prospective purchasers who are thinking to buy one.

I have no idea, but I would imagine that OK are likely to make use of the fish hatch and sonar shield on future angling kayaks if they prove to be of use. If your Scupper Pro (like my P15, a fast yak even with nothing in, even with a basic paddle) and Martins P13 were to incorporate those 2 mods in future versions do you think it would be something of more interest to you? Personally speaking, if I had them on the P15 I would have my 'perfect' kayak (except for surfing).

I've found the advantage of taking more stuff on the yak with me than normal - sadly the role of yak as belly-shrinker has now been negated.