prowler15 elite or trident

Coastal Kayak Tours

It seems from the comments that the 'horse for courses' adage fits perfectly.

The only thing I can forsee is some of that breed of angler where 'newest and flashest is best' ( tackle tarts I appreciate are more common in coarse match angling....Ooh a new 20 metre pole I must have one....) will buy one. They may well then criticise it because it is just not for them, unjustly.

I think the 'try before you buy' motto that you guys always qoute is exactly the right policy. My P13 fits the bill perfectly for my circumstances and obviously the Trident is ideal for the more serious heavy tackle guys. Forums like this are perfect for research before parting with your cash.

Fairplay to OK for covering all bases.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark feel free to cut and paste.

The fishfinder hatch just isn't for me. (personal preference) I did not go to public school and was never very good at touching my toes :rolleyes:

I prefer my finder closer, just past my knees. I'm not very good at stretching. Again this would be difficult in the Trident because of the centre hatch.

But as I said earlier great for sarnies or tackle that you want to hand without exposing the the inner hull if in a chop.

This just demonstrates that even one of the most thoroughly thought out designs, and it is, just can't tick all the boxes. As Isetafox says "horses for courses".

Paul

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I totally disagree :rolleyes:

Backslapping yes,but there has been no cuddling to my knowledge :schmoll:

We'll leave that to the boys that can touch their toes :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I've kept away from this discussion for obvious reasons, only paddled the Trident breifly and ideally would like to do some rough stuff to see how the calm water feeling of stability works out in poor conditions. For me the most impressive Yak that I've paddled was the Scupper Pro which I'd put in the same class as the Dorado. As an Angling Kayak it falls slightly short of our expectations these days, but most will heavily customise to suit their own requirements anyway.

I would be interested to know the market that the Trident was designed for. Logically, it was designed for the biggest Angling market in the world, which I would assume is the US.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Now I'm kinda glad that someone brought up the subject of horses.............cos there is a saying..............

" You can take a horse to........."

......nah, not that one yer moonyakin fool....

:rolleyes:

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I have paddled both and have to say that I preferred the Trident,that is not to say that the P45 elite isn't a great yak and as you say---very well thought out. Ocean Kayaks have put a lot of thought(and no doubt money!) into making the Trident a serious fishing vessel and the fact that they had top kayakfishermen involved in the design is obvious for all to see.

Fishing kayaks are developing so quickly and comprehensively now(especially in O.K.s case)that a year old model like the P45 Elite looks dated against the mod cons provided with the Trident and now that O.K. have enlisted the help of Experienced yakfishermen, the future is certainly looking rosy :clap2:

go on, get a Trident---you know you want to! :yeah:

Have we got the names of these "Experienced Yakfishermen" so that we can pass our ideas on to them Richi?

Here's one to get started; If there have to be sandwich boxes fitted to any new models, can they be made to accomodate sandwiches from different bakeries and can the centre hatch be made a bit narrower so that anyone with legs thicker than knotted string can sit in comfortably? It can be done I'm sure.

Maybe as well, a return to fitting a neoprene cover on the front hatch would solve the problem of loads of water getting in the hull. :thumbs:

Stu. :)

Have we got the names of these "Experienced Yakfishermen" so that we can pass our ideas on to them Richi?

Here's one to get started; If there have to be sandwich boxes fitted to any new models, can they be made to accomodate sandwiches from different bakeries and can the centre hatch be made a bit narrower so that anyone with legs thicker than knotted string can sit in comfortably? It can be done I'm sure.

Maybe as well, a return to fitting a neoprene cover on the front hatch would solve the problem of loads of water getting in the hull. :thumbs:

Stu. :)

No "we" haven't Nifty,but then "we" haven't got the name of the designers of our car,our washing machine our kids bikes or anything---it is an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Luckily for us though,Ocean Kayaks look at the forums and any ideas that are deemed worthy----especially from people that have actually fished from the yak,get passed on to the design team ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph