back fishing after a 10 year absence (lincolnshire)

steve1971

hi folks,

i like the site and have been reading it for a few days now, so thought i'd introduce myself

im back to fishing (coarse) after a 10 year gap, and have been wetting the line over the last 3 weeks with 10 or so visits whilst on holiday from work

living in cleethorpes there seems to be many ponds and lakes around here and ive frequented "cheapside farm pond" which is easy to fish and my personal tally is literally hundereds of small 6" carp (hybrids??) small tench, silverfish, a barbel and the odd few 2-3lb carp, mainly fishing halibut and scopex flavoured pellets, red maggot, sweetcorn, prawns?? and believe it or not i had a stonking roach caught on a plastic immitation maggot yesterday!! all for £5 / day (barbless hooks and no nets)

ive also fished the "joy of koi" pond in nth somercoates, i enjoyed this venue as its not open to the wind at all, i caught small crucian carp, silverfish and 5 nice 3lb carp and the "one that got away" estimated at 5lb as it rolled and spat the hook

was going to fish my childhood haunt that is fulstow ponds, however, my tetaness jab needs a booster to fish there!!, shame as it fishes well, but is just a dump now

3 visits after re-starting i invested in a pole set up and havent looked back since, however, im suffering backache after long spells of holding the pole and cannot rest it due to the constant bites ;-)

there are plenty of local venues around here and talking to folk bankside you always here of more, so hopefully some winter fishing may be done (fingers, nose and toes permitting!!)

want to do some river fishing, so if anyone has hints on teney lock and the ancholme (venues and tackle) then i would appreciate it

all the best

steve

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve, welcome back to the wonderful world of Angling.

I live in Tetney and have fished cheapside farm pond which i found a very enjoyable venue.

I always threaten to fish Tetney lock in the winter months but never seem to get round to it.

When i have fished it ive always struggled to catch any decent sized fish.

This year ive been fishing North thoresby fisheries but they have fished poorly and i suspect a lot of the bigger carp have been netted out.

The "joy of koi" pond in nth somercoates sounds interesting, do you have a web addy or info on how to find it?

Im thinking of fishing the Bain at Coningsby for some of the big chub that resides there.

Have you bought the book fish it! Lincolnshire by Chris Keeling, its a very handy book to have for day ticket waters.

there is a cracking pond in Tetney but alas its membership only and £170 a year but its a very scenic place and stuffed with fish.

Some years i join but its a tad too easy so other years i do day ticket waters for a change.

hi,

the joy of koi as reached from "our end" by entering nth somercoates, via applebys ice cream way, when you reach the crossroads with the axe & cleaver pub on your right, you turn left and slowly drive down because the entrance is about 100yds on your right.........

http://www.joyofkoi.co.uk/

Nth thoresby ponds, is that the private one with the fly pond in the front, or Thoresby Bridge ponds??

I use to fish Thoresby Bridge ponds as a kid, my dad was mates with the farmer and i was allowed to fish anytime & and we used to have our caravan there for summer hols, always caught, but as its close to the louth canal, its plagued with eels!!

i will look out for the book you mention

it wasnt you who was pegged next to me on sunday at cheapside was it?? he was from Tetney, the carp where taking everything he threw in except his bait

have youmfished bradley pond (just passed the woods)?, ive fished it once but found it very slow going, but it was a scorching day........locally people have said its slow going there, i was thinking of joining but dont know yet??

we'll have to get together some time

steve

hi,

the joy of koi as reached from "our end" by entering nth somercoates, via applebys ice cream way, when you reach the crossroads with the axe & cleaver pub on your right, you turn left and slowly drive down because the entrance is about 100yds on your right.........

http://www.joyofkoi.co.uk/

Nth thoresby ponds, is that the private one with the fly pond in the front, or Thoresby Bridge ponds??

I use to fish Thoresby Bridge ponds as a kid, my dad was mates with the farmer and i was allowed to fish anytime & and we used to have our caravan there for summer hols, always caught, but as its close to the louth canal, its plagued with eels!!

i will look out for the book you mention

it wasnt you who was pegged next to me on sunday at cheapside was it?? he was from Tetney, the carp where taking everything he threw in except his bait

have youmfished bradley pond (just passed the woods)?, ive fished it once but found it very slow going, but it was a scorching day........locally people have said its slow going there, i was thinking of joining but dont know yet??

we'll have to get together some time

steve

Hi Steve, no that was not me at farm ponds on saturday, that would have been Tom my next door neigbour.

Im 49 and Tom is 16!

I used to be a member of Thoresby bridge about 4 years ago but found it was filled with stunted roach.

You could get some nice carp if you went stalking with bread on a evening.

Yes im a member of the private ponds with the fly pond at the front, alas ill not be joining it again as its proved to be a bit of a letdown this year.

Ill be fishing cheapside farm ponds this saturday all being well.

Check out my Tetney pond diary from last year.

http://www1.freewebs.com/carcrashes2006/ty...ponddiaries.htm

Ive not fished Bradley pond but have checked it out and i was put off by a group bivvied up sat drinking larger and not really fishing!

I may give it a bash next year.

Im up for a days fishing especially if you fancy a trip to the trent for some barbel bashing.

If i join Tetney pond next year ill guest you for a day.

Thanks for the joy of koi pond info, ill give it a go.

Regards,

Mal (Tyke)

cheers mal,

im not really kitted for barbel or big rivers, will take you up on your tetney offer and was thinking of joining myself next year, but ive heared there is a waiting list?

ive also heared that thoresby isnt much good this year, i spoke to a member who is a bit pee'd off with the whole situation with the pond and the owners?

will pop down on saturday and may even be fishing myself if the wind stays down

i'll be the one with the pole looking like he's struggling with it and getting back pains!!

ps......im 36 and not a teen either

steve

Steve, how do you rate Joy of Koi compared with the farm pond?

Ive looked at the website for joy of koi and it looks like it could be a nice place to fish.

No waiting list for the pond at Tetney, i live 2 mins away and i know the owner.

Its down Inghams road just of westlands ave and can be hard to find as its well back from the road and as no signs to it.

Ill show you where it is one day if your serious on joining.

Mal.

having only fished the joy of koi once, i was impressed

water was black and not brown (dont know if that helps??) and about 5ft deep in my swim

i fished the peg with the "old" garden shed directly behind me

its not pole friendly though, with the pegs being natural and sunken so shipping back was awkward

i got there at 7.30 and caught on my first cast without any feed

i then cupped in some ground bait and free offerings

and was pretty consistantly catching roach to 5oz with some bigger, small crucians (on lifting up the pole??) and a ghost carp

then it quietened off from 1 until 4 ..... with more experience i perhaps should realise why? maybe its the time of day or the bait had been eaten, however, i re baited the swim and hit into some nice (for me) elastic stretching carp (about 3lb), finished at 6 pm ish

didnt have scales but reckoned i bagged about 15-12lb

i was using red maggot, didnt try sweetcorn and pellets didnt do anything (halibut) but they where sonubaits hookers and i thought them to be hard??

i liked the venue because there was no wind at all, nor kids running about, there where a couple of rats scurrying about, but hey its nature, and you have to be watchful of the ducks, they creep up behind you and snaffle your bait, there are toilets and a portacabin with a vending machine

3 maggots in the ducks direction, then a few to your float, keeps them away from your swim

im getting bored with cheapside now as its a bit prodicatble and you only seem to get small carp type fish and the odd very small tench, ive had a barbel there and a couple of nice roach

yes......i'd like to visit the tetney pond some time

im thinking of going to the caistor ponds on saturday morning to watch the match (if they allow it) to see if i can get some pole fishing tips...........im intersted in the baiting techniques of how much / when etc.........i feel i over feed or under feed and just cant keep the swim consistant

at least now im back into fishing im thinking it through and trying to differ my style rather than just sitting it out

if your going to the "joy" or the farm pond over the weekend then let me know i'll pop for a chat

steve

Well, you couldn't get much more coincidental for a first post if you tried.

I'd be Tom, the illusive nextdoor neighbor. Twas a good day at Cheapside, regardless of a lack of fish coming out the water for me, cannot believe all those little carp, eating all that bread yet being able to completely ignore the hooked piece! At one point there was a ghostie nosing around, but in the end he wasn't that interested.

"i feel i over feed or under feed and just cant keep the swim consistant" You're not the only one!

Can't wait to have a bash at Joy of Koi tomorrow, should really be asleep in order to help myself get up in time, but yano, people to see, things to do and all that. Would be good if you popped down.

Tom.

did you go to the joy of koi??

i bet it was you fishing opposite the island with the big hat??

was going to pop over and chat but never made it

i had a belter of a day

started off with a 4lb 4oz mirror, then consistantly caught 12 x 3-5lb mirrors all day long with one topping at 6lb 10oz and a 2lb bream

was well chuffed and was my best day ever in my life of fishing

my neighbour caught 1 carp of about 3lb and that was it

i was fishing 6mm punched luncheon meat over a bed of 4mm VDE feed pellets, i occasionally switched to worm, fished out on the pole at about 10m, both on the bottom and about 12" above the bottom

my personal best fish to date (didnt realise how fat n bald i really am ha ha )

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r51/alhtdi/SP_A0037.jpg

the venue

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r51/alhtdi/SP_A0034.jpg

( i hooked into something that shot off and wrapped around the platform to the left, my elastic was a full stretch and the platform was rocking as the fish or line hit it, there must be an anchor cable or something ?? i eventually bullied it and lost the hook)

cant make it fishing next week as im working saturday and the off to milto keynes for a week on a work course (VolksWagen)