what am I doing wrong

Andykelly

ok ive been float fishing for about 3 months started on my local pond and was catching loads of roach i have also seen big carp in there but they stay well away from me :schmoll: I then went to another venue with a friend and caught about 92 1lb ish carp in a 8 hour session.so i thought every thing was good i just wanted to maybe start getting some bigger fish. So i have been to 2 other ponds local to me that i am told are full of perch roach bream tench carp the problem i have with these two ponds are i dont seem to do any where near as good as the other two but they are suppose to be just as good or better,I done a 8 hour session on 1 on satday and caught 3 fish perch roach and a bream no bigger than mymiddle finger also on 1 of the pond u can see the fish nible at the maggot through the water but my float dont move am i doing anything wrong .On a plus side i went to the origanal pond i started on yesterday just for a couple of hours and caught a 4lb tench which i find strange because i have fished the pond about 10 times and not pulled any thing else out apart from roach .any tips

Hi Andy, you don't say how you were fishing, depth, distance from bank, how you were feeding etc.

All this info would be of help in giving advice.

What type of waters are they? The one where you caught 92 fish in 8hours, (that's averaging more than 11 fish every hour, one every 5-6 mins!), sounds like an over stocked carp water to me.

If the others are stocked to a more normal level, you will have to work more to catch.

Give us some more info' and we might be able to help.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

ok ive been float fishing for about 3 months started on my local pond and was catching loads of roach i have also seen big carp in there but they stay well away from me :schmoll: I then went to another venue with a friend and caught about 92 1lb ish carp in a 8 hour session.so i thought every thing was good i just wanted to maybe start getting some bigger fish. So i have been to 2 other ponds local to me that i am told are full of perch roach bream tench carp the problem i have with these two ponds are i dont seem to do any where near as good as the other two but they are suppose to be just as good or better,I done a 8 hour session on 1 on satday and caught 3 fish perch roach and a bream no bigger than mymiddle finger also on 1 of the pond u can see the fish nible at the maggot through the water but my float dont move am i doing anything wrong .On a plus side i went to the origanal pond i started on yesterday just for a couple of hours and caught a 4lb tench which i find strange because i have fished the pond about 10 times and not pulled any thing else out apart from roach .any tips

The people who will know the water the best are the bailifs and the other people fishing there. Next time you go watch how other people are fishing, what they are fishing with, how much loose feed etc. Then have a chat to them if they are doing well, or even if they aren't just so you know not to try that.

Apart from that then as the above post says, if you could give some more information then it would help.

The people who will know the water the best are the bailifs and the other people fishing there. Next time you go watch how other people are fishing, what they are fishing with, how much loose feed etc. Then have a chat to them if they are doing well, or even if they aren't just so you know not to try that.

Apart from that then as the above post says, if you could give some more information then it would help.

more info for you guys im float fishing with a size 18 hook mainly 12-15 feet from bank just using maggots and loose feeding them .any tips on how I can improve .yes the carp place i went must be over stocked because someon pulled 160 in a session the other day not sure how long he was there for they are all around the same size 1lb but they are also some bigger ones but not managed them .

can anyone help

Isn't the answer to this prob. , work it out yourself ? Sorry to sound harsh !

The rest of us had to , instant fishing success is no benefit to you , surely the joy is slowly changing approach with increased results ?

Refine , refine , bigger better catches...............shoot me down !

varying depths depending where im fishinshing but every time im fishing on the bottom i have plumbed the depth.

Still more info needed. If you can see fish attacking your bait but there is no indication on the float, that suggests that i) You're using a float that isn't sensitive enough or ii) that it isn't shotted down until only a tiny bit remains above the surface or iii) there is too much distance between your hook and bottom (telltale) shot.

We know that you're using a no 18 hook (which might be a bit big for a single maggot bait - try a 20 or 22), but what line are you matching it with? For that style of fishing (assuming the carp continue to stay away and you're concentrating on roach and perch), then a 1.5 lb bottom will be suitable. Anything heavier will likely be a contributing factor in fewer bites.

Try using lighter tackle, with the bait only just touching the bottom, rather than laying hard on it.

can anyone help

Sorry I forgot to add another reply...

Try varying feed i.e. if you are getting no line bites than try more loose feed if, you are getting line bites try less loose feed. Try fishing close to features i.e. lillies, trees. Honestly though your best bet is to talk to other people on the venue and watch how they are fishing.

Errrm

Edit - I agree with the post above, are you using a shot between 6in - 12in from the hook? If the fish are taking the bait on the drop then the float won't settle because this shot will be held up in the water and so you should strike. Also if you are trying to avoid the fish taking the bait on the surface then perhaps try a bigger bait like a single piece of sweetcorn on a size 18 hook fished on the bottom.

Edited by Errrm