Two Anglers Dead After Boat Capsizes

Elton

Just saw this terrible news on the TV:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/7025388.stm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

My thoughts also go out to the families, but one has to ask the question "What the hell were three big lads doing going out in a 14ft dinghy?" In my opinion, anything under 16ft should be limited to two people for safety reasons. I've fished on 16-footers with three people and it's not the most comfortable experience. It's certainly not the safest way to enjoy your fishing either.

Whether you're fishing at anchor or on the drift, it's essential to get the balance right on any small boat. The slightest wash from a passing boat or rogue wave during a slight chop can rock most 16-footers like a toddler's toy. :(

It underlines the importance of wearing proper protective clothing and a proper life jacket whilst at sea, particularly in a small boat. Wearing has to mean actually wearing, not just having one available. I note from the Scottish report that a lifejacket was found, pity it wasn't attached to the owner <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Yes, I too am sorry for the families, but the two factors here (boat too small as Davy B said, and the absence of lifejackets) suggest this was an accident waiting to happen.

I have been as pig-headed as anyone in the past in taking risks, but the older I get, the more I want to survive to be older still!

...and the primary survival aid is ALWAYS wear a life jacket - if you end up in the water, it will be because of something unexpected happening - too late to say "where's my life jacket?"

Both Norma and I now put our Crewsaver life jackets on whilst still standing on the quay, and KEEP them on until we are standing on terra firma again. I have seen two people fall between boat and quay - boarding and disembarking can be the two most dodgy moments of a fishing trip - makes sense to have a lifejacket on.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes, I too am sorry for the families, but the two factors here (boat too small as Davy B said, and the absence of lifejackets) suggest this was an accident waiting to happen.

I have been as pig-headed as anyone in the past in taking risks, but the older I get, the more I want to survive to be older still!

...and the primary survival aid is ALWAYS wear a life jacket - if you end up in the water, it will be because of something unexpected happening - too late to say "where's my life jacket?"

Both Norma and I now put our Crewsaver life jackets on whilst still standing on the quay, and KEEP them on until we are standing on terra firma again. I have seen two people fall between boat and quay - boarding and disembarking can be the two most dodgy moments of a fishing trip - makes sense to have a lifejacket on.

:o I believe in Ireland wearing of life jackets is compulsory. :D

From a kayak anglers point of view if you aren't wearing the kit you are courting disaster. I wear a PFD irrespective of whether I am out at sea or on a river as good practice and as a life saving device. I wear a wetsuit now that it is chilly - water inside is warmed. Now that it's getting colder most of us are wrapped up in drysuits or dry trousers and cags with warm kit underneath. The majority of us carry flares and/or VHF. While we are very vulnerable, we are in boats that can be righted and paddled again if capsized or swamped and the chances of sinking are incredibly tiny. But we prepare for the worst. While this may come as holier-than-thou I must confess to having not yet obtained flares and not yet having done the VHF course so I am not the safest out there but people know where I've gone, know when I'm due back and my mobile is wrapped in a bag. The coastguard know the details too - I ring before and after. And if you go out in boats and haven't already done so, look here: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga-hmcg_res...a-hmcg-cg66.htm

I don't wish to preach - I am not qualified to do so - but I also don't wish to read of more tragic accidents that *possibly* might have been less severe. It is an awful thing to happen and if one person reads this and makes themselves safer because of it it's worthwhile.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.