River Thames apprentice

Hackney2819

When we were kids, we had a school trip to York, to see all of the historic buildings and museums. Being uncultured little barbarians, my mates and I instead went down to the river and watched an old man fishing the stick float, I remember him catching a really cracking perch!

We also got chucked out of York Minster for quietly dropping these on the floor

sf_16299_b_1000.jpg

:D

That's the sort of puerile thing that I'd expect from Steve or Rusty!

Sorry mate i forgot to mention im fishing river Ouse in York, its also full of bream! average size 3-4lb and plenty of 5lb+ ones. I think its probably quite similar to Thames. Thats how much i pay for mine! sounds about same, its just when you said full bucket i thought you meant like 10kgs of ground bait xD So that dont sound too expensive and will be worth trying.

Thanks for your tips my friend! i will certainly give this ago.

No mate - I'm not one for spending huge sums of hard earned on bait! Although I think if you stuffed 10kgs into the river for a weekend session, you'd do quite well. Good luck!

I fish the Thames further up around the Oxford area, and even up here the one thing I would say about baiting is, it's VERY hard to put too much in! I don't ever remember thinking I've overfed when fishing the Thames, except when after roach in the dead of winter.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What I find is that you have to go for it with the groundbaiting for bream as they seem to be totally intolerant of 'topping up' - you'll kill the swim if you start balling it in again - hence the large initial baiting.

That's what Ivan Marks used to say

I don't fish deliberately for bream, but remember him making that point several times

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

No mention of liquidised bread here, so here's my bit of info. When I was a matchfisherman a few decades ago, there was an old guy named Harry Naylor, who only fished the bread, constantly picking up money in the opens with bream, while we young bucks were on maggot and caster, only catching chub, if we were lucky. My mate and I sat with him and watched what he did. A big open ended feeder, filled with liquidised bread, cast to the same spot several times on the whistle, switching to a smaller feeder, then flake on the hook. If they were there, the bream took from the off, also big roach. It worked well for us at Medley, Oxford, and Marlow.

We took the method to the Kingston opens at Canbury Gardens and over three matches, were never out of the frame with bream, against the Dorking boys on the maggot with dace. 90 minutes into the match we would add a few casters to the mix, with them on the hook, sometimes a small red worm. Two loaves were enough for a 5 hour match, again good roach would boost our weights. The bream there were in the 8 oz to 2lb range, just right for matchmen, but I've had several up to 4lb on this method. It still works today.

apparently this is good time of year for bream fishing....but i have been to the river like 3-4 times already in past 3 weeks and haven't caught a single bream :( fished few different spots, using same tactics that worked for me in summer. Have tried finer hook length line and smaller hooks then i usually use but still nothing. Not sure if they just not feeding or they just relocated to different spots preparing for winter i have no idea.

Any tips ?

Edited by Vas