Porgie or Bess?

H.A.

Hiya Ada

Can anyone ID this positively as a Porgie?

For a pal in Portugal.

Taa ....

:mellow:

I'm pretty certain it's a small mako, it's too Blue, too pointed on the nose and missing the white spot at the rear of the dorsal for to be a Porbeagle... though I could be wrong :)

Edited by Davy Holt

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I had my suspicions too, Davy. The white tip to the dorsal is usually the giveaway for a Porgy.

Then again, the Mako usually has a pronounced small secondary dorsal which I can't see. The small anal fin could show Mako too.

Guess it's the photo which isn't clear enough regarding the fins.

Ada :huh:

Edited by H.A.

All of the lamnidae sharks have a second dorsal, this is abit of a strange one it has the rounded top to the dorsal of a porgie ,but is missing the white patch(although on some it can be almost invisible apart from very close inspection). The photo doesn't show the defining characteristics very well ie the dagger like, rather than triangular teeth of the mako. The position of the second dorsal directly over the anal fin on the porgie but further forward on the mako, Also not clear in the photo but looks to be absent is the ridge on the tail which along with the general shape of the fish is tending me towards it being a shortfin mako.

I had my suspicions too, Davy. The white tip to the dorsal is usually the giveaway for a Porgy.

Then again, the Mako usually has a pronounced small secondary dorsal which I can't see. The small anal fin could show Mako too.

The secondary dorsal is there, it's just not very clear on the pic as it's showing up as a dark patch on it's back about quarter of the way along it's back from the tail.

I'd go with the Short fin Mako as the most likely candidate

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

All of the lamnidae sharks have a second dorsal, this is abit of a strange one it has the rounded top to the dorsal of a porgie ,but is missing the white patch(although on some it can be almost invisible apart from very close inspection). The photo doesn't show the defining characteristics very well ie the dagger like, rather than triangular teeth of the mako. The position of the second dorsal directly over the anal fin on the porgie but further forward on the mako, Also not clear in the photo but looks to be absent is the ridge on the tail which along with the general shape of the fish is tending me towards it being a shortfin mako.

Geeeeez....catches one and he's a f***ing expert... :P

(was with Gareth when he caught his first Porbeagle in July)

Edited by jabee

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."