Waders

Adam Si

I know this topic has come up many times before after searching the forums but rather than the debate of they are dangerous. they are not dangerous argument etc for the people using them what ones do you have (make, material and type) eg Ron Thomson, Neoprene, Chest and if you were to buy again would you buy the same or is there another version you would get

For the people that dont like them what dry trousers and dry boots do you use were they keep you fully dry when launching etc as where I launch I have to go up to at least just past my knees before I get on

Hope the above makes sense

I might be wrong but aren't the neoprene ones are alot safer as they float? Even if you use the Ron Thompson ones and fall in the water, immediately lift your knees to your chest and paddle backwards. Friend of mine had to jump off a high diving board in a pair of waders as part of his fish farming course at university. Might be a bit different in the open sea though - especially on a kayak!

I know this topic has come up many times before after searching the forums but rather than the debate of they are dangerous. they are not dangerous argument etc for the people using them what ones do you have (make, material and type) eg Ron Thomson, Neoprene, Chest and if you were to buy again would you buy the same or is there another version you would get

For the people that dont like them what dry trousers and dry boots do you use were they keep you fully dry when launching etc as where I launch I have to go up to at least just past my knees before I get on

Hope the above makes sense

eek, that sounds like concrete boots to me.

The way I think is this how much are you going to spend on your waders, dry trousers ect compared with the cost of a dry suit that we all know does the job better and in a capsize in winter could save your life.

Most if not all of dry trousers and tops are more suited to sit inside kayaks with a spray deck/skirt, but for us we have to take all of the weather like it or not.

As for dry trousers this is what I do using a wetsuit and boots with no zip, put on the wetsuit trousers and tuck the boots inside, make up a Velcro strap and put is round your ankle make sure it is really tight to make a good seal, once launched release the strap you will have no wet feet and will keep you warm,I use this set-up when the water temperature is not too cold

I know it is a big out lay buying a drysuit, but well worth it in the long run.

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Can anyone using them please let me know which ones you have I am ready to buy a pair but would like to get the same as others are using and happy with.

All waders are perfectly safe for the application you describe. I use 5ml neoprene stockingfoot chesties and over them I wear 5ml neoprene divers booties. This is purely for warmth as I use mine for float tubing and will be immersed from mid thigh down for several hours at a time.

I have been out when I have had to break the ice with no problems.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Adam

I own a pair of neoprene snowbee chest waders which were great for about a year, then they started to leak at the seams :angry: . Aquasure sorted them out. Don't know how long you should get from a pair of waders but expected more than a year!

Can't really recommend them.

Thanks all for the replies might go with the stocking foot and diving boots as that sounds good unless someone can suggest dry pants (bib style) and shoes that would be as dry for under 70 ?

• 1 month later...
I might be wrong but aren't the neoprene ones are alot safer as they float? Even if you use the Ron Thompson ones and fall in the water, immediately lift your knees to your chest and paddle backwards. Friend of mine had to jump off a high diving board in a pair of waders as part of his fish farming course at university. Might be a bit different in the open sea though - especially on a kayak!

Is this true that if you do fall into say a lake or slow moving river in neoprene waders you lift your knees to your chest and paddle backwards you will be ok???

Born to fish forced to work