Fly tying kits

Sheepy

Might I add just a few points from my own experience of learning fly-tying.

I would add to the materials list, cock pheasant tail and hairs ear. I found that the cock's tail was easier to work with as I tend to be clumsy, and a GRHE is indispensable for my part of the country.

I found a magnifying glass to be very helpful. If possible one of those desk mounted things with a built in light.

A decent book, manual, guide covering the basic techniques is so helpful when starting. Also a 'recipe' book. Yes, I know there's a mass of info on the net, but for me that isn't a substitute for a good recipe book at the bench.

One point about the tying 'kits', sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) complete kits show up on eBay from someone who is retiring, or possibly a deceased estate. I agree that the commercial kits are of very little use, but a kit from an experienced tyer could be excellent value.

PS. I still can't make a decent Invicta, they always end up looking like an obese blue bellied bumble bee.

Good luck to anyone taking up the hobby.

When you stop enjoying it, stop doing it.

Rodge.

Might I add just a few points from my own experience of learning fly-tying.

I would add to the materials list, cock pheasant tail and hairs ear. I found that the cock's tail was easier to work with as I tend to be clumsy, and a GRHE is indispensable for my part of the country.

I found a magnifying glass to be very helpful. If possible one of those desk mounted things with a built in light.

A decent book, manual, guide covering the basic techniques is so helpful when starting. Also a 'recipe' book. Yes, I know there's a mass of info on the net, but for me that isn't a substitute for a good recipe book at the bench.

One point about the tying 'kits', sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) complete kits show up on eBay from someone who is retiring, or possibly a deceased estate. I agree that the commercial kits are of very little use, but a kit from an experienced tyer could be excellent value.

PS. I still can't make a decent Invicta, they always end up looking like an obese blue bellied bumble bee.

Good luck to anyone taking up the hobby.

For hobby, read obscession :D . You will also start to tie every pattern you have seen in the mags.

Dosen't matter what they look like to begin with.

This guy rocks http://www.cudafly.co.uk/acatalog/FlyTyingKits.html

You probably can see what comes with it.

He shows some proved flies on the site including competition winners.

There is some fly tying instructions on the site. He also deserved of some attention.

Beware of purchasing fly materials. Theres different grades and quantities of materials.

You can also purchase 60 flies cheap as on E-bay but the hooks can be less than desirable not to mention some of the flies.

If you find a supplier that intends long term business its in their best interest that they provide value for money.

Something about the owner of the store that you see less of these days. He actually fishes. B)

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!