Shore Caught Common Skate

Gillies

Myself and my mate went Common Skate fishing from the shore last night, his rod had a small run ... followed by a big run a few mins later ... 20 mins later there was a 158 lb fish at the waters edge.

He's already got the British Record for the Common Skate, so knew what to expect when he hooked it .... the area is reportedly full of Common Skate... but no one has properly went fishing for them with the heavier gear until now, so we'll be fishing it again over the coming weeks no doubt.

Here are two photos that are posted elsewhere also...

common5.jpg

common9.jpg

I got a great series of photos of the capture which I'll be posting later no doubt ... form the hooking of the fish, to the fish coming in .. to measuring wingspan/length, to returning the fish to the sea.

From looking at the photos, the fish possibly was a wee bit bigger ... as the right wing tip is slightly curled up when measuring.

An enjoyable nights fishing .... first time I've seen a Common been caught.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Incredible stuff!

Any chance the full story could be used as a news article on the main part of Anglers' Net? It would make interesting reading to non-forumy types.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Look forward to reading the reports - I would imagine a skate finding itself in shallow water is a very different proposition to one being brought to a boat.

Well done that angler!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Myself and my mate went Common Skate fishing from the shore last night, his rod had a small run ... followed by a big run a few mins later ... 20 mins later there was a 158 lb fish at the waters edge.

He's already got the British Record for the Common Skate, so knew what to expect when he hooked it .... the area is reportedly full of Common Skate... but no one has properly went fishing for them with the heavier gear until now, so we'll be fishing it again over the coming weeks no doubt.

Here are two photos that are posted elsewhere also...

common5.jpg

common9.jpg

I got a great series of photos of the capture which I'll be posting later no doubt ... form the hooking of the fish, to the fish coming in .. to measuring wingspan/length, to returning the fish to the sea.

From looking at the photos, the fish possibly was a wee bit bigger ... as the right wing tip is slightly curled up when measuring.

An enjoyable nights fishing .... first time I've seen a Common been caught.

Gillies

:D Send me the story and good picture and there could be a rod on the way next month, supposing nothing bigger is caught of course. That'll give the Welsh boys something to beat. :D

I take it your mate isn`t a member of AN? Otherwise Norrie might have competition for the Skate trophy B)B)

What trophy Paul ??? :rolleyes: Not too interested in Trophies to be honest...only reels and rods !!!! :P :P

Gillies, did your mate tag the fish ??...cracking capture ....well done him...:) We had a go at a shore Common a few years ago...but I think the wrong area was targetted....obviously...:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

What trophy Paul ??? :rolleyes: Not too interested in Trophies to be honest...only reels and rods !!!! :P :P

Gillies, did your mate tag the fish ??...cracking capture ....well done him...:) We had a go at a shore Common a few years ago...but I think the wrong area was targetted....obviously...:)

Aye Norrie.

Not much of a market on fleabay for trophies. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!