Taking fish for food?

Errrm

Thats a perfectly fair assumption to take. Fresh Trout and Grayling are both fine eating fish. As long as theres a strong head of Grayling in the stretch then theres nothing wrong with taking the odd fish to eat.

My only concern might be about the Grayling, is that some Trout syndicates encourage the taking of Grayling to reduce the competition with the Trout, to the detrimetion of the Grayling population but as long as that is healthy then, I'm sure if you wanted to take that odd fish, it would do no real harm.

Edited by dant

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they allow cooking and eating them on the bankside, I would say you should try it at least once and if you like the taste, you could certainly do it again. Cast iron skillet works perfectly for the job.

Otherwise, unless you can ice the fish pretty soon after catching them, you'd be better buying fish at a market because the taste isn't nearly as good if there are several hours at normal temps between killing the fish and cleaning/eating it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The Quality and size of the fish in some waters would benefit from people taking a few home, but this depends on which water where talking about.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

The Quality and size of the fish in some waters would benefit from people taking a few home, but this depends on which water where talking about.

We are allowed 2 trout over 12 inch or 1 pike under 10 lb in our club, I once knocked a couple of brown trout ,my wife cooked them for tea and they tasted of mud I felt really guilty after and have decided that they are better off left in the river .I have never taken pike ,I once killed a roach to use as dead bait and I didn't like doing it so now I use mackeral,I have heard grayling taste good but I don't think I could kill one ,guess I just don't like killing things.

Guest Rabbit
Funny how attitudes change isn't it?

I was putting a worm on a hook this afternoon and it was so obvious that it was harming it and that it was in pain that I felt quite bad about it. Oddly though, I didn't feel the same as I put the maggots on the hook. This stuff's a bit confusing.

Anyway, I think I'll stick more to lures and bread etc in future.

Killing fish for food and harming living things for fun/sport seem to be entirely different to me. If I'm aiming to eat a fish killing it is trivial (pike or trout or mackeral or bass etc). However, when the fish ends up tasting of mud I have to admit to some regret and even guilt for taking the life of the fish.

I'm even not entirely happy about harming fish with hooks. But on the hand virtually all the other aspects of the type of fishing I do captivates me so I continue.

My attitude to fishing is complicated by this strange belief/suspicion/feeling I have that the human race (due to our unique position) should be the guardian and protector of all other life on the planet and that somehow it is a responsibility we have a duty and are almost honour bound to take on.

At some point I guess I'll have to construct a reasoned argument using facts that suit me and other stuff to substantiate my emotional state.... but quite honestly... I'd rather go fishing. We're all stuffed anyhow so it's not really worth the bother.

:-(

MC

You really have put into words how I also feel about fishing and my urge to fish in spite of the fact that I wouldn't want to harm a fly. Perhaps it's a very powerful throw back when man HAD to hunt to survive, its a part of us that hasn't been reasoned out by our brain that we no longer NEED to fish.

But fishing comes in many guises, and I guess we have all different reasons for doing so, but one thing is for sure the motivation that we anglers have to fish is unsurpassed, I feel sorry for folk who have never experienced the reasons why we fish.

So MC put your guilt to one side and just enjoy... I do :)

As far as bream, roach and similar fish taken with the use of commercial groundbait, I have become very suspecious about taking it for food. The effect they make on fish, e.g. fish swallowing the groundbait madly without picking out live food, makes me think that some kind of psyhotropic drugs are used in that stuff. And what will be, if we eat that fish?

We've got drug control and sanitatary control to protect people. And who is protecting fish; cats and other domestic animals, I wonder?

As far as bream, roach and similar fish taken with the use of commercial groundbait, I have become very suspecious about taking it for food. The effect they make on fish, e.g. fish swallowing the groundbait madly without picking out live food, makes me think that some kind of psyhotropic drugs are used in that stuff. And what will be, if we eat that fish?

We've got drug control and sanitatary control to protect people. And who is protecting fish; cats and other domestic animals, I wonder?

[/quote)

Sorry Youve lost me mate! :blink: But my Dog and Cat have started to listen to Hawkwind and seem a bit vacant Dont tell me they are stoned :o;)

Now to the question Errrm.

Knock a trout on the head by all means! but be prepared for a pretty ordinary feed, stocked fish need to spend ages in good water to lose that Bl00dy awful taste.Wild fish taste great but what are you going to get off a 8oz brownie the larger ones are rare and breeders and I would leave well alone My self Grayling are nice to eat, but nicer alive to see swim away.

Smoked Eel First class! with Good bread, Unsalted Butter, creamed Horse Radish and A Good Dry White wine, But eels are getting Scarce and soon Catching a worthwhile eel will be as Novel as catching a Grayling. I havent had one this year Sea or fresh water Fishing I find that disturbing.

In my opinion no one should feel bad about a fish for the table but should be mindfull of the impact on the area from wich it is taken.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

My take is quite simple, APPLAUSE for a FORWARD thinking club which is NOT afraid to allow members to take fish!!! FAR too many RULES and REGULATIONS ij life without fishing going the same prissy way!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

My take is quite simple, APPLAUSE for a FORWARD thinking club which is NOT afraid to allow members to take fish!!! FAR too many RULES and REGULATIONS ij life without fishing going the same prissy way!!

Its just the way it is mate! :huh: if the rules arnt there someone would tare the 4rse out of it so we have them and we hate them. Burocracy :wallbash:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

agree totally :thumbs: