ABU6501C Camo

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Tackle Tart'...that's a colourful label :D Come on then Budgie sell it to me! tell me how much better my life will be with it. I could put one on my meduim/heavy lure rod, which at the moment I use with a low profile Diawa, how would this one enhance my fishin'?

I an half way there, I like ABU tackle, especially the reels since using the 'cardinals' years ago. I have an ABU low profile on my lightweight lure rod and am delighted with it's performance.

Now the colour sceme, to be a true fashion 'tart', I would need to change all the rest of my stuff to match. Presently all my fishin' 'luggage' is drab olive green, lure bag, rod holdall, net case (an ex-army Mortar plotter bag), reel cases, even clothing, chest waders, waistcoats, lfe jacket and hats. The only Cammo item I have is a British army Gortex jacket, standard DPM which of course is different to the cam on the reel! see the problems of introducing a new item which would throw everything else out of kilter? ;)

Given that I only use the heavy rod from the boat, would there be much advantage in it being cammed up? All this cammo stuff does present a sort of rugged appeal, but perhaps smacks of 'rural chavishness'? for example it's an established mistake to go asking for shooting or rabbiting permission wearing camouflage gear. In any case it doesnt alone address the reasons why things (anglers) are seen. Shape, shine, shadow, surface (the texture of the item to be concealed). spacing (regularly spaced things are often out of place in truly natural surroundings, shouldnt be a big issue in angling, but lines of match anglers or carpies sitting at evenly spaced pegs might be a give away) and (sudden) movement.

Can one buy cammo braid to go with it?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Can one buy cammo braid to go with it?

Is the Pope Catholic? :D You can buy anything in camo mate!

All though (IMHO) the modern ABU's arnt a patch on the pre 1980 models I still think they are one of the best lure multiplers on the market.

I honestly dont think most buy camo for the concealment factor its just that its so pretty! :rolleyes:

"Do carp anglers use multipliers ?" If they did Cranfield I would be importing 10 cases! :D

"I would need to change all the rest of my stuff to match" I thought matching acsessories were standard anyway? ;)

Emma, if I may ask are you ex military?

That is a very nice multiplier....I am tempted as my last one fell apart :S

If you need a new multiplier mate Ive always got ABU's in a lot cheaper.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Emma, if I may ask are you ex military?

'who me sir? yes sir'`! ;)

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

The mention of the "5 S's" gave you away along with your mentionng time in Germany before. From what I remember though (even though it does affect concealment) the fith one was sillouete not spacing?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Your right, 'silhouette' is one of the reasons things are seen (according to the army fieldcraft pamphlet) and arguably the one most important one to anglers. One should keep off skylines of other backgrounds which will betray the human shape. Soldiers break up thiers by adding foliage and 'scrim' (bits of cam netting, rags etc) the thier helmets and equipment. Shooters sometimes do this esp when after pigeons and wildfowl. Anglers rarley seem to, so you can be in cammo gear from head to foot and it won't make a jot of difference when breaking the skyline or against a lighter background. It's significant too that while many cammo patterns are a good base, they in themselves may even make the wearer more obvious, for example a person sitting on a winter bank of light coloured dead grass in 'realtree' or British DPM, is going to stand out like a sore thumb, and will certainly be no more concealed than someone in 'ordinary' clothes.

Edited by Emma two

Marvellous. Tell you one thing I've taken to and it goes against most lure patterns all over the world. Painting my lure colours upside-down. Instead of painting lures say silver and black with the dark topside, light belly that real fish have to hide, I paint mine the same silver and black but mine have a light topside, dark belly. The colours are fairly natural but I want mine to be seen. Add that to a jerkbait action and you have something thats in serious trouble. What could look more obvious and attractive to a pike than a distressed looking fish swimming upside-down?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The mention of the "5 S's" gave you away along with your mentionng time in Germany before. From what I remember though (even though it does affect concealment) the fith one was sillouete not spacing?

Spacing is one of 'em, they keep ammending things. I saw an example of it yesterday when I fished a small commercial coarse fishery, this was a first for me. I have been in too much pain to get out and do my preferred type of fishin' and so opted for this place where I could drive right up to the water. My first instinct was to go home, when I discovered a match being fished there, but the owner a nice fellow assured me that they would soon be finished. There was a perfectly spaced circle of men all facing inwards and with tons of gear. Perhaps the fish are so used to seeing those purpose built fishing stations occupied that they don't get concerned by it at all? My son came along to see how I was getting on, he has spent 10 years in the army and we had a quiet chuckle to ourselves to note that we were the only ones NOT in full combat kit!