Trout water piking

Neil G

caught my pb pike from Chew. On a large abu salmo spoon ( a bigger than usual toby). Boat partner had a 30, on....a copper/red spoon. I also had a 19 on an toothy critter spoon.So, spoons have done the biz there, don't leave home without 'em. Tight lines.Too far away now to go!

Hi Kreid

Butterstone opens for Pike in November :rolleyes:

http://www.butterstonelochfishings.co.uk/blfdraft3pike.htm

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

caught my pb pike from Chew. On a large abu salmo spoon ( a bigger than usual toby). Boat partner had a 30, on....a copper/red spoon. I also had a 19 on an toothy critter spoon.So, spoons have done the biz there, don't leave home without 'em. Tight lines.Too far away now to go!

Cheers fo the info there...I do happen to have some large spoons in my lure bag!

I've also decided to use a single rod for deadbaiting large mackerel...I can't think of any other bait more suitable as they cast like bullets and stay on the hook well.

Just thought I would add a follow up to this thread.

I went to Chew yesterday and had a couple of dropped runs but nothing on the bank...few knocks/pulls on jerkbaits etc. A lot of my mates were catching jacks and perch in numbers (on undersized grubs/jellies) which was okay but TBH jacks and perch are availaible all day long locally on the river!

I did however get the pleasure of seeing a chap next to me catch a great 32lb pike..I helped out as his other rod went off at the same time so I found myself next to him playing a lively rainbow! Never seen a pike over 30 and my god was it fat...just huge, took some photos for the chap and held the scales for him as he was shaking so much!

Just goes to show that being in the right time and place is what matters!

Possibly going back for another crack next month

Yep....fell to a half mackerel (same bait I was using) without pop ups etc.

Lures (especially the bigger ones) didn't seem to get much action...I do have a few more teeth marks in some of my jerkbaits though from mad jacks hitting the lures but not connecting up properly!

this subject is right up my street as ive lots of experience of this type of fishing, both in former trout waters and current ones too !!

deadbaits... will pick up the occasional pike but you would stand more chance using 'sink and draw' tactics with your deadbait. float fished deadbaits (midwater) seem unnatractive to pike, but strangely if you inflate the swim bladder of your small deadbait (? 3 or 4 inch roach/freshwater fish only) then the pike have been known to take them off the surface, this is great value while free-lining a floating dead, very spectacular and not documented very often, works well in the margins, give the 'dead' a jerk every 15 mins....

lures/spinners/spoons ... seem to work well on these waters and will also take perch should the stripeys be in close proximity. nice to keep warm in the winter but not as much a killing as a live bait on these waters.

livebait ... the absolute top-draw bait for these waters, 3 or 4 inch roach/rudd/perch seem to go down really well, strangely the first 3 hours of light and the last 2 hours of light seem to be the most productive, ive done a survey on bite times for pike, these are my findings.

im presuming that the water in these trout waters is clear !!!

this subject is right up my street as ive lots of experience of this type of fishing, both in former trout waters and current ones too !!

deadbaits... will pick up the occasional pike but you would stand more chance using 'sink and draw' tactics with your deadbait. float fished deadbaits (midwater) seem unnatractive to pike, but strangely if you inflate the swim bladder of your small deadbait (? 3 or 4 inch roach/freshwater fish only) then the pike have been known to take them off the surface, this is great value while free-lining a floating dead, very spectacular and not documented very often, works well in the margins, give the 'dead' a jerk every 15 mins....

lures/spinners/spoons ... seem to work well on these waters and will also take perch should the stripeys be in close proximity. nice to keep warm in the winter but not as much a killing as a live bait on these waters.

livebait ... the absolute top-draw bait for these waters, 3 or 4 inch roach/rudd/perch seem to go down really well, strangely the first 3 hours of light and the last 2 hours of light seem to be the most productive, ive done a survey on bite times for pike, these are my findings.

im presuming that the water in these trout waters is clear !!!

Note that you must not possess or use lives or freshwater deads (ie coarse, lamprey, pollan, trout etc).

Pike & Preds forum has a current thread on Chew. Pics of a 16 lb brownie that came out yesterday on mack and mentions some of the other fish that have come out inc 30s of 38 & 32.

I'm sure a livebait would be a killler...if you could use them at Chew.

The guys there were actually going round checking baits to make sure there were no freshwater baits being used.

I am going back for another day there in Nov..going to leave the lure rods at home this time and sit it out at one spot...am going to give the old drifter float a crack for some long range work.