Waders

Scatman

If you will use them often enough and especially if you will use them much in warm weather then IMO they are well worth the extra cost over rubber ones.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

They are used by duck hunters in the US more than the other sort and they spend hours standing in water that is at or very near freezing.

For walking as you would when fishing, the additional flex is a bonus.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

They are used by duck hunters in the US more than the other sort and they spend hours standing in water that is at or very near freezing.

For walking as you would when fishing, the additional flex is a bonus.

They're great in the cold, and better than rubber all year round, but can be very warm in the summer. If you're going to be mostly wading spring-autumn then I'd go for some lightweight breathable waders (wear extra layers under in cold weather), otherwise for all round use (and durability) neoprene's better.

I like cleated soles with studs as a good compromise - OK on wet stones where plain cleated soles tend to slip and as good as ordinary cleats in mud. You can buy studs to screw in yourself if the wader doesn't come with them.

Will

Are you after chesties or thigh waders?

I've never found a pair of thigh waders up to the abuse I put them through and now buy cheap rubber ones (as cheap as possible - usually under a tenner). They will usually see me through a season if I'm lucky.

As for chesties - I bought a pair of Scierra Aqauatex Breathable's 2-3 years ago. Excellent bit of kit - and much more comfortable to wear in summer than neoprene - they don't come cheap though!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

For my money don't even THINK about rubber!! However you look after them they will perish!! Get a pair of Neoprene or if cost is an issue look for some Nylon topped ones!! I have a pair here which cost me I think £30!! And the neoprene ones were £50 while rubber I could have had for £25 but having had several pairs of rubber waders over the years I would not waste my money again!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I have had a pair of Neoprene for 4 years and have used them often. They are Chest high with rubber boots attached. They are WARM in the late Spring and Early Fall, but during the Winter, I am more than Happy to have them on. I will not TRUST the rubber ones as they are so easily torn or punctured. Where I fished previously, the bottom was mostly gravel and mud. The rubber boots were definitly a PLUS. JMHO!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Go for Neoprene, my thigh waders have lasted several seasons without problems.

You may want to up the boot size and use thick socks, for added heat retention. What ever you do don't buy if they are tight.

Andrew Boyd