Weed problem when fishing with sinking line

hpint

I've had some problems when fishing with a sinking line. The line just drags the fly down all the way to the bottom and when I get the fly out its usually covered in weed. A faster retrieve does work in summer time but in winter when the fish are slow it doesn't. Have any of you experienced the same problem and how do you overcome it? Floating fly on short leader?

Caught my PB trout this weekend at Rib Valley. 6lb 9oz. Thanks very much to John for taking a picture and sending it to me via email

post-11692-1192539279_thumb.jpg

I've had some problems when fishing with a sinking line. The line just drags the fly down all the way to the bottom and when I get the fly out its usually covered in weed. A faster retrieve does work in summer time but in winter when the fish are slow it doesn't. Have any of you experienced the same problem and how do you overcome it? Floating fly on short leader?

Caught my PB trout this weekend at Rib Valley. 6lb 9oz. Thanks very much to John for taking a picture and sending it to me via email

post-11692-1192539279_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the PB. You don't say what depth the water you are fishing is, but could you fish a weighted fly on a floating line? I fish a goldbead nymph in winter on a floating line, fished almost static. We have found that rainbows will even pick a large nymph up off the bottom while it's laying static.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Hi

to be honest I never use a sinking line from the bank, although I might compromise with an intermediate if I am really pushed.

Try a floating line with a leader of 12" to 15" and a sinking fly, maybe a beadhead or similar, and then count the fly down. Don't be in too much of a hurry to retrieve and don't be tempted to retrieve too fast. Small twitches with the occasional long pull to raise the fly in the water, then just let it sink again for a while. You will be surprised how many takes you get as it is dropping.

Good luck

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi

to be honest I never use a sinking line from the bank, although I might compromise with an intermediate if I am really pushed.

Try a floating line with a leader of 12" to 15" and a sinking fly, maybe a beadhead or similar, and then count the fly down. Don't be in too much of a hurry to retrieve and don't be tempted to retrieve too fast. Small twitches with the occasional long pull to raise the fly in the water, then just let it sink again for a while. You will be surprised how many takes you get as it is dropping.

Good luck

I would agree with the above two posts although I think Sportsmans 12"to 15" Should Have Read 12'to 15'. ;) ( unless I have missed the piont entirerly ) Greg metioned depth of water this is important A Di7 or Di 5 will bottem out in 15 foot of water in no time at, all once you hit the shelve you will be effectivly draging the bottom. Off the bank a good qaulity floating line and a intermiediate or better still a intermiediate sink tip is all you should need.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I would agree with the above two posts although I think Sportsmans 12"to 15" Should Have Read 12'to 15'. ;) ( unless I have missed the piont entirerly ) Greg metioned depth of water this is important A Di7 or Di 5 will bottem out in 15 foot of water in no time at, all once you hit the shelve you will be effectivly draging the bottom. Off the bank a good qaulity floating line and a intermiediate or better still a intermiediate sink tip is all you should need.

It was late and I was tired. Anyway, someone keeps moving the keys on my keyboard ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Congrats on the PB. You don't say what depth the water you are fishing is, but could you fish a weighted fly on a floating line? I fish a goldbead nymph in winter on a floating line, fished almost static. We have found that rainbows will even pick a large nymph up off the bottom while it's laying static.

Hey Greg. Thanks for the reply. Makes sense to just fish a longer leader and a floating line. I fish various waters and one of them fairly deep. What would you do though if you are fishing from the bank on a really sunny day with the fish on the bottom and say on a really deep reserviour (in winter time)?

Hey Greg. Thanks for the reply. Makes sense to just fish a longer leader and a floating line. I fish various waters and one of them fairly deep. What would you do though if you are fishing from the bank on a really sunny day with the fish on the bottom and say on a really deep reserviour (in winter time)?

To be honest if it was that hot I would not be fishing for trout in anything other than a river :thumbs:

And then I would think about it. But if I had too on a fishery a small nymph fished almost static on a long leader will get the ocaisional take. or look for an area of moving water areators, sluices ect.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I would fish a ptn/hares ear on the long leader again, if that didn't work I would probably stick two scruffy dry flies out. A feeding fish will usually come up to them anyway, no matter how deep it is sitting. If buzzers are in the area you could fish a team of skinnies static...(or almost so).

If it is too deep to fish on a long leader go for a sinking line and a floating point fly to keep your flies above the weed.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

I would fish a ptn/hares ear on the long leader again, if that didn't work I would probably stick two scruffy dry flies out. A feeding fish will usually come up to them anyway, no matter how deep it is sitting. If buzzers are in the area you could fish a team of skinnies static...(or almost so).

If it is too deep to fish on a long leader go for a sinking line and a floating point fly to keep your flies above the weed.

Thanks for all the tips Greg, five bellies and sportsman :thumbs: