12-15 October Eastern Meet report

Mark Crame

Day 0

The meet began for me on Thursday afternoon with a launch from the beach to put my lobster/crab/prawn traps in the harbour, a gentle half mile or so warm up with the aim of making a crab bisque for one of the evenings.

a.jpg

The tide was right out and I tied the traps on to some metal railings (that would soon be covered) with as short a piece of string as I could in the hope that no thieving gits would be able to hoist them up the wall and steal them like last time. Weighted down with stones off the beach and filled with waste from the fish merchants (a fine selection of salmon, hake and bass) I dropped them down one at a time and headed in. Trolleyed up I rang Richi to see where he was and was informed he was in town having followed the diversion – a pity really as the diversion was for the roadworks at the top of my road, 200 metres past his digs for the night! I gave him directions to get back there and met him when I came off the beach on the side of the road. Of course we had a natter and then he went to get checked in while I walked home.

That night Richi popped over for a cuppa and we went over the charts, beneficial to both of us as I got an insight in what to look for and he found his mark for the morrow. After a few hours of nattering he went to get some kip and I did the same, both of us having an early start.

Day 1.

My early start was relaxed until my wife left for work just after seven and I opened the windows in my daughters room – to see a capsized blue Trident on top of a car across the road. Starvin looked well rested! I got the girls downstairs, dragged him in and proceeded to cook a breakfast for the four of us, dosing him up with coffee and getting the girls ready for school and babysitting before taking them and heading for the Broadland Holiday Village to meet up with whoever was piking (Richi had gone out for the evenings dinner). That’s when I met Darnsarf and Lozz and together with Starvin we hit the broad in search of pike, 3 Tridents and a Scupper Pro - after navigating the local equivalent of the Thames Flood Barrier of course, proving that we don’t need that big fancy rubbish them there city boys do. And that Lozz has a big arse.

PA121449.jpg

The Scupper pro was first off the starting blocks and away, Darnsarf laughing as he left the Tridents floundering in his wake…

PA121450.jpg

While we of course relaxed in the marina and allowed him his headstart

PA121451.jpg

before heading to the marks that actually held fish.

My Big S wasn’t swimming right, going through one of the places that has an above average strike rate with a lure that was veering and not wobbling was not on, so I went back with the same lure not wobbling after picking up some weed. Starvin was nearby casting lures when I came back through the third time

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PA121452.jpg

and got a hook up

PA121454.jpg

And so came the first fish of the meet in freshwater (presumably Richi had already caught by this time on the sea).

PA121456.jpg

Estimated around 4lb and a good scrapper

PA121458.jpg

It was soon unhooked and back in the water none the worse for the experience. It was nice to have Starvin on hand to take some pics too.

I paddled around for another hour or two, stopping for a chat with Lozz then went off to find Darnsarf who had headed up the Dyke. Passing a few boats I eventually came across him anchored up at the mouth of an inlet in what looked to be a very pedunkle spot. I was just heading in to exchange pleasantries when

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

PA121459.jpg

Fish two had fallen for my huge Rapala Magnum, the first fish to take it since I bought it. This fish had bitten off more than it could chew though as the front treble was cleanly in the scissors while the rear one was hooked in behind the dorsal fin. I guess the lure was 2/3 of the length of the fish! Greedy bugger.

Lozz and Starvin then joined us and we all baitfished as unsuccessfully as Paul, Lozz finding a super spot that just didn’t want to produce

PA121460.jpg

while Starvin just hung about nattering

PA121462.jpg

OKReally then called to say he was nearly there with the trailer full of toys for us to play with so I said I’d head back down and see him in a few minutes if I didn’t catch a biggie on the way. I left Darnsarf and Starvin to it and followed Lozz down

PA121463.jpg

I set off faster than normal, with two lures still out when

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (That is Z’s in upper case ‘cos it was a biggie)

Again the Super Shad Rap had done the business, and this fish was a lump. It didn’t want to come up (I guess the speed had got me lower in the water where the bigger ones lay) and was giving a good pull, taking line, so I tightened up the drag. She came to the surface and went mad, thrashing 50 yards or more away

And threw the hook. I can honestly say that that pike was as good as, or better than, any I’ve had out of the broad, a definite double (I don’t think it went to twenty though). Ah well, that’s how it goes sometimes.

Paddling in I met up with Andrew and we had a natter while Lozz got bettered (and battered) by the local hooligan who didn’t like the cut of his suit

PA121464.jpg

while I looked over the trailer – all bar the Yaksport were in yellow! How thoughtful! Onboard were Prowler 13, Prowler Big Game, Prowler Elite 4.5, Prowler 15 Trident, Drifter, Caper, Scupper Pro, Yak Sport and of course a long thin thing that we all wanted to see – the Sprinter!

Well, that was it, I had to try the Sprinter and as soon as Andrew left I launched it. I nearly fell off before I got afloat. I wish I’d had some scupper stoppers as two jets of water soaked my arse in no time but I paddled out with all the grace of a rhinocerous in stilettos and proceeded to teeter off up the broad. Clutching my paddle tightly I paddled around a bit and then grabbed hold of a cruiser to realign one of the rudder pedals – I hadn’t thought about that beforehand and one leg was in the correct position whilst the other was nearly upright. Paddling was much better and I played some more before heading in. Later some of the others gave it a spin with the rudder attached (I hadn’t put it on) and will no doubt speak of it. It was quick and nimble, accelerating away very easily, and once you had a few minutes under your belt (and a bit of speed) the panic bells stopped ringing and it was a nice ride. Rather narrow on the hips it didn’t cause me any grief surprisingly. I enjoyed it as it happens but I couldn’t imagine fishing from one!

Stopping and chatting again to Darnsarf and Starvin, I watched with amusement and amazement as a jack turned up…but that’s Starvins story to tell! Sadly I had to leave then and pick up the girls, who then came down the broad with me a bit later on with some supplies before going home to get dinner on for my long-suffering wife.

Coming back later with a big bag of frozen chips and some beer we set about enjoying the craic, deep frying batches of chips while cooking some of Richi’s cod and failing to cook others in order to poison Starvin and Darnsarf. That’s their reason for their illness anyway, certainly not the reason for mine! I felt slightly odd on going home around midnight…..

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell me he's related to someone on here .........................

Half the people from this neck of the woods are related to their own wives and husbands, more often than they are to their own brothers and sisters.

Edited by Mark Crame

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Firstly thanks to Mark Crame for his hard work in organising the event and his hard work during the weekend to ensure that it was a success :D

Day 1:

Launched alone on Friday morning at about 0730 near the Lowestoft pier and headed out directly east.After about a mile (or so ;) )I could see 2 fishing boats so decided to make my way over to where they were fishing.Had some ragworm and a box of squid (thanks Mark)and 3 rods out,one with full squid and two with rag/squid cocktail.

Anchored up and was joined by a couple of birds!

IMGP0418.jpg

After about half an hour had my first fish that was a doggie that let go of the bait at the surface.I was thinking "what if that is my only fish and I didn't get a photo!".Soon my worries were eased as I brought a whiting to the yak for a pic

IMGP0410.jpg

after that it was a doggie or huss(no good asking me!)

IMGP0414.jpg

IMGP0439.jpg

Soon after I had a small codling or two and then they started coming bigger.

IMGP0411.jpg

I ended up with seven codling and four for the table-enough to feed the troops!The biggest was about 3 1/2 lb

IMGP0415.jpg

drove back to the Broadlands holiday village and had a barbeque and a few beers with the lads and Mark(Jamie Oliver) almost cooked us all Cod & Chips :D

Day 2:

Saw a later launch,I think around 10am and joining me were Lozz and Tratty.

IMGP0424.jpg

there was a little surf,just enough to give a damp cockpit

IMGP0428.jpg

we headed out and anchored up near two fishing boats who were joined by another for a short while

IMGP0433.jpg

after about an hour and just small stuff we decided to head out further to the deeper water.

As soon as we got to the deeper water things began to improve and we all caught some codling :D

with Lozz getting the biggest ones on full squid

]

IMGP0438.jpg

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

he certainly had his 6lb class rod bending!

IMGP0442.jpg

We all returned happy to the beach and were met by OKReally and a load of drunks, although I hasten to add that the drunks were not with him! :D One woman who could barely stand asked if she could have a go! :headhurt: And one lad said to Tratty"I didn't know you could catch fish from the sea here" :whistling:

We donated our catch to Mark Crame's freezer and made our way back to the Broad.When we got to the Broad I took the O.K. Sprinter for a test paddle to see how they go----and go it did, like a rocket,it literally flew from one side of the broad to the other,the faster it went,the faster and harder I paddled-it made you want to go faster.I got back to the launch point and was puffing like I'd just run 100 metres,I suppose I had -with my arms :showoff:

Brilliant tool for the experienced yakker to improve his rep rate/stamina or overall fitness and fun :thumbs:

Day 3:

Launched at about 0830 with Tratty and StarvinMarvin.

IMGP0445.jpg

Snapper,Mike and Gavstick had launched earlier.

It was easily the warmest day with fairly calm seas.We fished slightly more south than I/we were the previous two days to take the best advantage from the tide.It was a good two mile paddle before we all anchored up in 40ft.

It didn't take long before we were into fish with doggies,whiting and codling being caught

IMGP0453.jpg

even the little fellow managed a few codling :rolleyes:

We had a great day-again!

Saw the local rescue boat

IMGP0451.jpg

Tried out my bite detectors

IMGP0452.jpg

Caught some nice codling

IMGP0455.jpg

Nearly got mown down by a gin palace until I stood up with my orange hat on :marinheiro:

IMGP0454.jpg

Got a nice birdie in my Shimano(mental note to self-no more pendulums :rolleyes: )

IMGP0457.jpg

and on our return it seemed that half the village had turned out!

Met Snapper and Gavstick on the beach along with O.K.Really on our return and we all talked yaks for a while before our return to the broad.

I really had a great time

Was great to see old and new members of the yakfishing family

Thanks to Mark Crame for all your hard work and enthusiasm and Andrew Dron for allowing the loan of the demo yaks :thumbs:

I think a few of us might head up there again soon

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph