Odd ambition realised

Bob on Stronsay

Yes at last I have done it. I have realised my long held ambition in fishing. I have caught a Dog fish. In fact I got three, each between 3lb and 5lb.

I know you all catch them all the time but these could well be Stronsay's first ROD caught doggies.

At the same time we also discovered we have loads of very large Sandeels around Stronsay (Young lad mucking about with a rig of small shrimp type hokkies whilst me and his dad anchored for other stuff).

What you need to realise is, all the fishing up here in the past has been on the drift with handlines and with our fast tides the only fish caught have been Pollock, Coalfish, Cod and Mackerel (In very large numbers). Its only in the last couple of years me and a few mates have set out to learn about angling with rods. So far we have doubled the species count and are expecting to raise our total over the coming years.

Looking forward to my next ambition now. One of Davy's mates or that Porbeagle who keeps on nicking my Coalfish and pretending to be the bottom.

Bob

Dogfish between 3-5lb!!!

These are iether bullhuss, or stronsay Doggies have been eating thier porridge! A 3lb Doggie is a whopper...A 4lb Dogfish is a potential record breaker..

Well done on getting a few new species.

Shaun

Tight Lines

Shaun

There are several ways to tell the difference but the best method when you don't have the two to compare is by their nasal flaps on the underside.

The LSD has a joined nasal flap and a more pointed mouth and the Bullhuss has two distinct nasal flaps and a much blunter mouth.

The skin on a bullhuss is generally less rough and the spots are generally fewer and bigger on the huss

They sound more like huss than doggies to me.

We get the odd sneaky small huss in a bag of doggies from the shore.

Small huss and smooth hounds seem to pal up with the doggies down here until they get too big and get kicked out of the shoal.

As chappers says if you have a suspected LSD with bigger spots than normal then take a look at the nasal flaps.

At five pounds the odds has to be it is a huss rather than a doggie.

Hiya,

I doubt it would be Huss, you dont get them much further North than the Clyde and that's wayyyyyyyy South of where Bob was fishing.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I have checked some fish ID web pages and they are definitely LSD's.

Shame we don't get Huss up here but I will be keeping a record of all other catches from now on, just in case we get some species you lot don't get.

I will be back out this week so will take a camera and some more bait.

Bob

They are monsters in any terms, a 2-08lb fish is a really good one down here.

Dogfish, Lesser Spotted (Scyliorhinus caniculus)

Boat 4-06-08 Port Logan, Scotland G Griffiths 1994

Shore 4-15-03 Abbey Burnfoot Kirkcudb. S Ramsey 1988

[ 27. June 2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

They are very big LSD's, be nice to see some photos of any others that are caught.

Spurdogs, we rarely see now as they have been wiped out by commericals, 15 years ago when you hooked one, a dozen would follow the one(s) you have hooked up to the surface. They were deemed a pest when fishing for other species ... I think I seen one caught last year.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com