I HATE Vista

ColinW

I must admit, I'm using Vista Ultimate and IMO its miles ahead of XP, in usability and functionality.

I'm running it on 2 pc`s and XP on my laptop (would on the laptop as well but its not quick enough for Vista).

Yes XP may be less resource intensive, but no where near as good.

PC 1

Athlon FX60

Dual 7900GT graphics cards

4GB RAM

PC 2

Athlon XP 3500 (2.2ghz)

Nvidia 7600 GS graphics card

2GB RAM

Well I've calmed down a bit!

IanR's post made me look into calming down a few of Microsoft's newness for newness's sake features and I've got my admin account looking pretty much like XP now (I'm not into learning new stuff unless there's a real good reason) so I can now find my way around. The girls can keep their accounts with the Aero malarky and, since they will be the main users, I suppose I'll just have to wait for them to make their minds up. I won't be disabling UAC because having had another play, when I wasn't trying to install new stuff, it is just about bearable.

It still brings to mind a fat old tart. She might be able to afford fancy clothes and be prepared to do stuff young girls won't do......

....best not go there :rolleyes:

Had heard from a few blokes that 'Vista' was a bit difficult, so, when I went and bought my new lappie, I mentioned this to the sales man and he advised me to load 'Mozilla Firefox'.

Tried the vista for a day and could not get around the "bumf", ergot, I installed Mozzie. Simple.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Had heard from a few blokes that 'Vista' was a bit difficult, so, when I went and bought my new lappie, I mentioned this to the sales man and he advised me to load 'Mozilla Firefox'.

Tried the vista for a day and could not get around the "bumf", ergot, I installed Mozzie. Simple.

My pC came loaded with XP Media Centre Edition, with a voucher for a free upgrade to Vista. It remains unused.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I put Vista on a new entry level PC I bought for my mum, and I thought it was OK. According to the specs, the machine wasn't really beefy enough to run Aero, but I turned it on and it was usable. Not quite snappy enough for me, but fine for mum, and very pretty if you like that kind of thing.

The user access control is superficially a pain in the butt for Windows users. To be absolutely fair to Microsoft, though, it's a feature they should have had in Windows ages ago, and which would have gone a long way towards preventing Windows becoming such a target for malware. Every version of Linux I've used had the same feature, provided that you aren't logged in as root (which you shouldn't be). I'm very happy that mum (or rather anything running on her machine) won't be able to install software, modify Windows firewall settings, etc, without asking me first.

I'm very happy that mum (or rather anything running on her machine) won't be able to install software, modify Windows firewall settings, etc, without asking me first.

That's why I'll be leaving UAC active. Since I don't expect to use that compter much it might at least stop my daughters installing all the nasty spyware ridden MSN extras, toolbars etc that ended up on the other computer :rolleyes: I'll just have to take a chill pill whenever I need to use it!

To be absolutely fair to Microsoft, though, it's a feature they should have had in Windows ages ago, and which would have gone a long way towards preventing Windows becoming such a target for malware. Every version of Linux I've used had the same feature, provided that you aren't logged in as root (which you shouldn't be).
It's also what a Mac running MacOS will do when you start to do sysadmin type things. It is not really fair to castigate MSoft for selling insecure Operating Systems in the past, and then to whinge at the inconvenience of UAT. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote