Roach fishing - Lechlade

The Flying Tench

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,I fished the opposite bank from the "Riverside" while working down in swindon,Oct 2001,borrowed some gear from a tackle shop in 'Farringdon?',and following their instruction fished about 200yds upstream of the bridge where there was a cut-in or bay on the far bank,where apparently the bream stuck around.Having only a waggler rod and maggots the bream didnt show,but I did enjoy some quality roach fishing on the waggler about two thirds accross,but was pestered by bleak from the start.Found that by placing a no.8 an inch or so from the hook kept the bait down close to the bottom and presented it better for the roach.I know it was a while ago, but hope it can be of some help and you enjoy your day as much as I did.

Nice first post MoreGear and welcome to the forum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Welcome indeed MGLF. And thanks for useful info. By 'quality' would that mean you were getting roach up to, say, 1lb? That's what the bloke I met by the Kennet said, but it would be good to have it confirmed.

I do hope you enjoy AN. I've found it both helpful and enjoyable for a few years now.

John

john clarke

Thanks Newt and Flying Tench, I don't think I had anything at a pound,probably 10oz or so best roach,some dace and a fair few bleak in a 10-12lb net.Although I do remember the guy in the tackle shop telling me of better roach on the stretch,but more through the winter,I may have been a few weeks early for those bigger fish.Perhaps I will get to find out one day,but I live 400 miles away in bonnie Scotland,and chances are slim.So I look forward to hearing how well you all do.

• 2 weeks later...
Im going to have to give this a go, i live not that far from Lechlade. So if the Riverside only sells tickets for the weirpool who deals with the rest of it?

I've heard there's a lot of trout in Bibury, also quite close

The Trout Inn sell day tickets :lol:

Bibury Trout Farm yes they are plenty, but sooooo easy those girls.

If its the river you want to fish, then I am afraid you cant.

Well you could but you would probably get shot by the chef in the Swan Hotel

Edited by Rabbit

• 1 year later...

Hi. First post here. I am a reasonably new angler ( fishing for 3 months), a member of South Cerney and really desperate to cut my teeth away from the lakes and onto the rivers. I know this is an old thread but has anyone been out to Lechlade lately?