Roach fishing - Lechlade

The Flying Tench

Hi. First post here. I am a reasonably new angler ( fishing for 3 months), a member of South Cerney and really desperate to cut my teeth away from the lakes and onto the rivers. I know this is an old thread but has anyone been out to Lechlade lately?

Hello Andy, welcome.

Glad you resurrected this thread because I’ve never fished Lechlade, didn’t know you could.

If you’re new to rivers and want to try a bit of free fishing you could do worse than a Kennet sidestream at Northcroft Leisure Centre Newbury or the river Lambourn still in Newbury. The latter is brilliant for Grayling during the Winter and the former is a good Chub stretch. I guess you’re local to Lechlade which puts Newbury not too far away.

Both are fairly narrow so don’t need any special casting ability if you’re using a centrepin. You could give them a try without it costing you anything.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Andy, welcome.

Glad you resurrected this thread because I’ve never fished Lechlade, didn’t know you could.

If you’re new to rivers and want to try a bit of free fishing you could do worse than a Kennet sidestream at Northcroft Leisure Centre Newbury or the river Lambourn still in Newbury. The latter is brilliant for Grayling during the Winter and the former is a good Chub stretch. I guess you’re local to Lechlade which puts Newbury not too far away.

Both are fairly narrow so don’t need any special casting ability if you’re using a centrepin. You could give them a try without it costing you anything.

Andy hello and welcomejust be sure not to park close to any Audi cars as they can be lethal ;):rolleyes: ,the marina at Lechlade can be fished for a day ticket fee in the winter and gives fantastic sport when the river is in flood ,Took my small boat up there a few times and it does look a great bit of water sadl;y have no idea what clubs control it .

Rusty hope you are getting some closure on the bike incident insurance wise ,the guy at the marina to contact about the fishing is Dave Deeks and will post a phone no later when i get home Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Rusty hope you are getting some closure on the bike incident insurance wise

Yup, got a nice letter from Directline authorising repairs subject to a quote. Another session at Rainsford for me today, ledgering this time for Barbel, met Mr Wogan though.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi. First post here. I am a reasonably new angler ( fishing for 3 months), a member of South Cerney and really desperate to cut my teeth away from the lakes and onto the rivers. I know this is an old thread but has anyone been out to Lechlade lately?

If you are a member of South Cerney, you have access to some nice bits of the Thames. I would suggest that the river at Kelmscott (near Lechlade) is as good as any a place to start. It's wide, deep, slow, and waggler, stick float or leger tactics will all work. Alternatively, the section downstream of Cricklade is small, fast and shallow, but perhaps more of a challenge for a beginner.

Personally, I tend to fish the Thames mostly in the Winter, because you can catch chub when it's too cold for stillwaters.

Welcome to the forum Andy!

I'm not in your area but hopefully someone who is will be able to help.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Rabbit

Hi Andy , used to be South Cerney angler, and resident!! As far as Leclade is concerned for me it's just too busy with boat traffic in the summer, but anywhere by the bridge in the faster water can produce.

There are some nice roach on the Bristol Avon at Malmesbury, which is not too far from you, you can look at the Bristol Almagated waters for details on location, anywhere in the upper reaches of the BA hold the potential for some good roach. However water abstraction is a problem, so this time of year may not be the best. 'Free' stretches are not too common but there is a good spot in Malmesbury if you look for the Fire Station, upstream and downstream of the weir hold some biggish roach shoals with the odd trout too. Travel light would be my tip, the shoals are very mobile, so must you, but if you locate them expect some good sport.