Float under = No fish?

Ash87

Hi all, went fishing this morning at my local lake/pond to try out my new grey's prodigy float rod (lovely bit of kit so much more fun then using a carp rod) caught 2 small carp and a roach. :)

Towards the end when I was loose feeding with maggots my float would go under and stay there but there would'nt be anything there and the maggot was still on the hook now this happend about 4 times any idea as to why I didnt catch?

I had the depth of the hook set towards the bottom if that make's any difference

Thank's

Ash

Short and sweet!

I put crayfish at the head of the suspects!

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

Ash,

This can be a problem when fishing fine tipped floats (the stillwater blue was a particular suspect)

If your float is fine tipped it takes a while for the boyancy to start to bring it back up, try a slightly thicker tipped float. Somefloats can be so sensative that the currents formed by the fish attacking loose feed can sink the float.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I fished a lake where this was a big problem...and the more i missed bites the finer I fished...I even went out and bought number 10 and 12 shot so I could dot down the finest floats...things got worse.

Took a mate along who fished a peacock waggler and he hammered me...basically if his float was under it was because a fish was tugging it. I was missing loads of bites

learnt my leason and ever since if I miss several bites I fish far less fine rather than finer .

One other thing to bear in mind...if you are fishing soft baits such as corn/bread or casters it may be an idea to check your hook is still sharp and hasn't had the point turned over on a rock . easiest way to do this is try fine hooking a maggot...if it doesnt burst you know it is still sharp. It may also pay to go UP a hook size rather than down thinking the fish are being put off.

Every venue is different...so note what is happening and try different solutions.

Cheers

dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Frustrating, isn't it?!

Sometimes this can happen a lot. I'm afraid I'm never sure exactly why. I agree that sometimes it's a case of fishing TOO fine. Sometimes I think it can be the bait dragging along the bottom due to a change in depth of water. Every lake/pond has an undertow and it will make the float move across even on a calm day with no wind. If the bait catches the bottom it can cause the float to go under.

It can also be shy-biting fish. Or tiny fish that are too small to swallow the whole bait. Or big fish that are very wary?

Other theories are that the fish are 'biting' the shot on the line thinking it is food.

If you're spraying in maggots it might help to shorten your rig so that it is higher in the water. This way fish will take the maggots "on the drop" i.e. before they get to the bottom.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.