York bans bonfire night

Ian FG

Well as usual this thread as run the full gamut of opinions, swaying away from the topic, through several others and nearly back again. :D

First, (if I've read the report right) it's just one Bonfire in York that's been stopped, not Bonfire night itself.

Then there's the matter of fireworks, I believe that they go on sale much too early. It's a bit like Christmas, the season seems to get earlier every year. (we've been getting them going off for over a week now).

As for the religious theme. Most of you will know that I am an atheist, but I cannot understand the venom with which anyone who has a 'belief' is attacked. If a person has a belief then that is there right, just as it's mine to not believe.

I am coming to the conclusion that those who attack the 'believers' are over compensating for their own 'doubts', rather like the religious zealots who bomb those who don't believe in their particular 'brand'.

The outcome of the attack is not as fatal, but the intensity of feeling is similar.

But then again, I'm an atheist so what would I know about such things? ;)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought I was celabrating the Birth of Santa at Christmas ! ;)

As for Guy Fawlks Night celibating the torture and death in a unspeakable way of a poor Christian well I think Easter created the President for that, celabrating the marterdom of some Poor sole for a noble Belief why stop it ? Quite a few saints days Would Have to go if you do !what then? What will we lose Poppy Day? NEVER! :nonono: And many celibrations of other great cultural practicies and events, In one breath Poeple will moan about The gradual errosian of What makes us British then in the next breath want to ban British things. If you want to ban somthing British that is truly Offensive start with Pea's Pudding :yucky: Bl00dy awful stuff and in my opinion dangerous,Bonfire Night is fun I love it so do most kids,If you had to apply for a fire works licence at the local council for a tenner before you could buy fire works at a retailer that would control the yob element to a large degree Quite often Divali falls at the same time as Bonfire night and fire works play a big part in that celibation too.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Have to say that for me, attending an organised display never approached being as enjoyable as a family bonfire night party. Quite apart from standing in a crowd of strangers in a muddy field, being a participant was much more fun than merely being an observer, even if the participation was only being allowed to choose which firework an adult would let off next. Choosing the fireworks in the shop, helping to load them into the obligatory biscuit tin (and having a good look at them at the same time) was all part of the fun.

Edited by Steve Walker

Fireworks will be banned eventually,same as flying the flag on St Georges Day...

As a point of interest (well, it interested me) and as a proud Englishman that flies his cross of St. George whenever he feels like it, I phoned over 30 councils covering pretty much the whole country and tried to find one that banned the flying of our flag. Not a single one of them had ever banned it. Seriously - not one.

The only cases of restriction involved fire safety, where people had smothered their houses with highly-flammable flags. I can see the sense in taking action against that.

It's almost as if the Daily Mail and its kind were scaremongering. Whatever next? :rolleyes:

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I actually like the whole flag obsession thats occurred over the last few years. In the 80's and 90's, people who chose to fly the Union Jack (Yes, I know) or St Georges cross were viewed as members of the far right. I'm not a flag waiver myself but at least now, people can raise their national symbols without any of that cr@p.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I actually like the whole flag obsession thats occurred over the last few years. In the 80's and 90's, people who chose to fly the Union Jack (Yes, I know) or St Georges cross were viewed as members of the far right. I'm not a flag waiver myself but at least now, people can raise their national symbols without any of that cr@p.

Yeah, but only if a national team is playing that week, otherwise you're a facist :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The Flag of the Union and the cross of St George regularly flys next to the Jamaican Flag in our house and if the folks from Ireland are over They would be welcome to hiost a Tricolour Your flag is a bit of what you are isnt it? or at least an expression of belonging, there are instances when when it is inaproapriate , but even a laugh can be missedplaced. Most parents teach thier kids manors it is an extention of that common sence that should be used when Flag raising.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Yeah Ken, I just thought I'd kick off the Fireworks thread first this year instead of joining in towards the end :D

PS surprised to hear Jesus is no longer considered to be part of Christmas though :D

Lucky bugger, wish I could get out of it that easily !

Mat

Mat

Speaking as a Scot, residing in Southern Ireland for the last few years, I have absolutely no problem with the flying of the cross of St George. I think it should be flown a lot more than I see it now. I always think that the English are scared to make a show of national identity in case it offends someone.

The English have a lot to be proud of and have given the world many great things which they should celebrate. It almost seems that the people in power are more worried about upsetting minorities than celebrating Englishness.

The union flag is not the English flag even although some un-educated elements think they are interchangeable. It should be used when celebrating Britishness. Most Scots and Irish I know have absolutely no problem with the English flag.

In Ireland Flags abound. Everywhere flys the tricolour. The one thing that takes some getting used to over here is the sheer plethora of other flags.

Every Irishman supports his county and there are 26 of those. Each has its own flag.

They have their own sports played under the GAA (Gaelic Games Association), and turn out in huge numbers to support their local hurling or Gaelic football teams. (All amatuer) Average crowds are around 20,000 with Croke park in Dublin filled to capacity regularly with 88,000.

Now imagine every house in every village of every county flying their county flag whilst that county is still involved.

Then there are the local games involving each village playing to reach their county championship. They each have their own flags as well. After 2 years I still cant identify half the flags I see.

The English should celebrate being English the same as I celebrate being Scottish. I feel more Scottish now that I have been away for a couple of years.

When I finally get home permanently next season, and am chasing those elusive Ferox surrounded by Midges, I wonder if I will still feel as Scottish. lol

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

Ive recently been involved in some equality imapct assessments and guess what, when those numpty Councils decided to ban Christmas did they consult the minority groups they thought they were representing, like heck they did. Not surprisingly most of the groups wanted Christmas left as it is they join in with everyone else and enjoy the public holiday! I'm sorry but the people "banning Christmas" bonfire night etc etc may be well meaning but they are misguided and quite possible in breach of the legistlation that requires local authority policies to be equality proofed, ie they have to ask the people affected.

My kids were brought up as Catholics, did they go to bonfire parties and do they now? what do you think, of course they did!!

mutter mutter mutter rant rant!!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com