Fishing Patrols

Fastd

i did a few years ago, come across suppected fish theft, on a water I was fishing at the time,with my fishing buddy, we heard a commotion to one side of us, the owner had his vehicle across the gate,

then there were police everywhere, I went over to pay at the machine, and spoke to the guy who owns the water, who told me that over in the bush he had found a few big carp, so I went and had a look sure enough there was quite a few large carp in there, plus he had caught a couple of guys, kosvans

who the had some more in bag, the police had taken them away. it was not just carp, there were tench as well. now consider that big carp are not cheap. to replace these fish would become expensive, then who starts paying for replacements, I think that would be passed down to us. restoking of rivers if needed who will pay us, licence fees rising, thats assuming the problem is as bad as people are saying.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did a few years ago, come across suppected fish theft, on a water I was fishing at the time,with my fishing buddy, we heard a commotion to one side of us, the owner had his vehicle across the gate,

then there were police everywhere, I went over to pay at the machine, and spoke to the guy who owns the water, who told me that over in the bush he had found a few big carp, so I went and had a look sure enough there was quite a few large carp in there, plus he had caught a couple of guys, kosvans

who the had some more in bag, the police had taken them away. it was not just carp, there were tench as well. now consider that big carp are not cheap. to replace these fish would become expensive, then who starts paying for replacements, I think that would be passed down to us. restoking of rivers if needed who will pay us, licence fees rising, thats assuming the problem is as bad as people are saying.

Did the problem continue after that Mick?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I recall reading about camera phones changing the world in a technology magazine. If you see something fishy like people netting your local lake then take photos of the incident and more importantly photos of the vehicles with emphasis on the number plates. Report the incident to people who can take it further.

With the dramatic reduction in the cost of technology I'm surprised more clubs and associations haven't taken on CCTV technology to apprehend poachers?

Some cameras can utilise both infrared and day colour sending the footage wireless back to a recorder, even viewed in a web browser from any computer.

Taking fish is one thing, selling it is another.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

My veiws are much the same as Johns.

I ask the question of "who has actually seen it" every time this subject comes up....and every time very few answer yes.....sadly even those who seem to make the most noise about it!

I dont do this to "disprove" that this sort of thing is going on.I dont even do it to discredit those who seem blinded by the race/nationality/legality issues.I do it purely to make sure that I MYSELF havnt got it wrong! I just cant believe that with the amount of fishing hours I do,in the places I do,in the areas (with high immigrant levels) that I live and the humdreds of pounds worth of tackle Ive sold Poles etc THAT I HAVNT PERSONALLY SEEN IT Im simply trying to find out if (in other areas) it is indeed the problem some would have us believe.If so I would like to know so I could add my voice to the baying crowd.But once again Im left doubtfull.

A couple of additional questions if I may?

Have any of the fisheries that have posted these signs in foreign languages actually- a) had a problem of any significant level before errecting these signs? B) If so has the problem reduced after the signs have appeared?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

With the dramatic reduction in the cost of technology I'm surprised more clubs and associations haven't taken on CCTV technology to apprehend poachers?

Oh god! not MORE CCTV cameras! :lol: I actually thought that myself until i imagined the places i fish with huge camera poles rigged up.... the average person is not a criminal and yet is already caught on cctv cameras on average around 300 times a day! I for one would hate it if this intrusion reached the banks. I agree with the camera phone though, although approaching groups of fish-takers is not advised, gathering evidence is much more helpful and less risky if done discreatly.

It is sad though that we are all in this situation i probably wouldnt do anything if i saw something happen purely on the basis i'd worry that my tackle would still be there once i got back! So in a few years are we going to be fishing in barbed wired CCTV'd fishery compounds, and always in pairs, or is there another way? like the saying says theres more than one way to fillet a carp! :rolleyes:

P.S. Just wanted to make an obseration on this board. Subjects like this ALWAYS create one heck of a debate, i remember another hotly discussed debate about camo not so long ago and it always starts with a seemingly innocent(ish) question asking for peoples opinions on a subject. The board sooner than later forms a kind of 'for and against' debate and then it deteriorates into bitter argument. We are ALL interested in the wellbeing of our hobby/sport and thats what should matter, and we shouldnt persecute individuals for having an opinion.

Edited by fishy_con

Connor.

P.S. Just wanted to make an obseration on this board. Subjects like this ALWAYS create one heck of a debate, i remember another hotly discussed debate about camo not so long ago and it always starts with a seemingly innocent(ish) question asking for peoples opinions on a subject. The board sooner than later forms a kind of 'for and against' debate and then it deteriorates into bitter argument. We are ALL interested in the wellbeing of our hobby/sport and thats what should matter, and we shouldnt persecute individuals for having an opinion.

It's strange that you should make that comment.

I was just thinking to myself, how civilised and reasonable these discussions have become, compared to some in the past.

This is surely part of what these forums are so good at, people from different areas, different background and different disciplines, get together and discuss topics and how they effect each other.

You will of course get a differing of opinions, but I think that's good.

I don't think anyone has been insulted, or slighted on this thread. Or am I too 'thick skinned'?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Did the problem continue after that Mick?

not sure as I stopped fishing for a while, but started again the last couple of years, do know that they keep a watch on the lake if thay are about. did hear at one point that they would move them on, if they were found fishing.

I don't think anyone has been insulted, or slighted on this thread. Or am I too 'thick skinned'?

i didnt mean to sound like i was making an accusation, just wanted to keep some perspective. In some cases it seems like it might be a better idea to 'agree to disagree' than peddle on the same argument lol

Connor.