been trying for these shots for ages

Gray-Catchpole

out today, took some nice pans, horses and some failed buzzard shots around allt-yr-ryn, near newport where i live, also managed to get this little fella, im quite pleased with them, but can do better im sure, and tips for close ups like this would be most welcome.

2.jpg

crop2.jpg

1.jpg

crop1.jpg

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

Nice shots G-C

Were they handheld? Very difficult to get a good depth of field and sharpness without a tripod and f14 or smaller, and even then, the wings would be out of focus. The other trouble is the smaller the aperature, i.e f14 and smaller, the more you could get diffraction, which can lose quality too. I've got a 105mm macro with VR and handheld, the VR a little difference, but not much when truly close up.

I've posted this one elsewhere, but this was the best I could get of a similar critter handheld. This guy was about 45cm from the lens.

Mallorca8.jpg

Focal length: 105.0mm (35mm equivalent: 157mm)

Exposure time: 0.0100 s (1/100)

Aperture: f/14.0

ISO equiv.: 160

Even then, dof not brilliant. And not as sharp as it could be. Partly lying on concrete, partly worried about rolling into the pool with my camera.

What was your chap chowing down on in the second set? Doesn't look like Gary Rhodes' finest. ;)

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Hi Westie

that is a great shot, nice one, yes they where hand held, 1/400 at f2.7 ISO 80, the camera i use (canon s3-is) is a point and shoot 12x zoom, with some manual controls it only has a range of f2.7 - f8.0 i was in such a rush to get the shots i didnt think to change the f stops or speed, i neednt have worries though, as it kindly kept flying away and landing back in the exact same spot, so i spent a few mins just hanging upside down waiting for him lol, im sure the only reason it was coming back was to finish the din dins it left behind, yes the gary rhodes garbage :)

Edited by Gray-Catchpole

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

您在来信中写道

I like the uncropped versions - no. 1 is probably my favourite. Nice capture, sir. :thumbs:

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

had a bit of a shock yesterday, the bbc southeast are using one of my pics on there gallery, comes under newport scenes part 3 http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites...show03.shtml?10

and they have also thought it worth inclusion in the "best of your photo`s"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/tours...photos.shtml?10

im very happy :)

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

您在来信中写道

Excellent pictures and such fine detail. I cannot compete with that sort of shot with my Didgi camera. Having said that as most of you know a have a static caravan over on the Mull of Galloway. The light pollution there is nil and I cannot believe the clarity of the stars in the sky !!!

A shot I want is one of the "milky way". All I can do is go onto my max optical zoom of 6x/tripod/long exposure and fingers crossed!!

This was my first and only "star shot" to date - the Plough

Theplough.jpg

Really feel ashamed to say this but its the only star body I recognise :o I must get a book out on them and read up!!

Back over in 2 weeks to close down the van for the winter. Just hoping for a clear night for this attemt

:)

Anyone taking bets?? :o

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

This was my first and only "star shot" to date - the Plough

:)

Snatcher, if its the Plough at Killingworth, I can't see the Pub, must be something up with the camera :D:D

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Snatcher, if its the Plough at Killingworth, I can't see the Pub, must be something up with the camera :D:D

Tony

Tony you are a card mate :D hope to have a beer or three with you New Years Day. The tug of war is at the Catholic Club this year :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy