River's?

Ash87

i used to fish the suffolk stour around sudbury, not that far from you. sudbury angling club have a lot of the river, i had some great fishing there, chub to just under 5 pound, perch up to 2 pound and bream to 7. plenty of pike, roach and nice dace as well. give it a go :thumbs:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Don't take offence but you don't need an apostrophe just because the word is plural.

No offence taken as you will find/found out my spelling and Punctuation isnt that good but I try :)

Thanks starlight sounds good, how do you go about getting a day ticket for there?

Also has anyone tried the Little Ouse river at Thetford?

Also has anyone tried the Little Ouse river at Thetford?

Yes, a lovely little river. Chub, the odd trout, roach, dace, gudgeon and (amazingly for norfolk) some grayling! I believe there was a trial stocking of barbel a long time ago, but I don't know if they've settled in. There's the odd decent pike too, and probably perch.

We used to fish it in the summer with dry flies, catching chub, grayling and dace. If you trot maggots you'll catch all sorts. I didn't try it, bit I suspect the winter chub fishing would be good.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thetford's the wrong side of Norfolk for me. I have fished the Little Ouse about 3 miles downstream of the town a few years ago now and had a fair few good Dace (I think the river once held the record, many moons back), a few Roach and not much else.. The river actually felt a little on the barren side but I think that comes from not knowing it too well.

Chris Bishop could possibly be the man to ask about the Little Ouse. He writes the fishing reports for that side of Norfolk and Fens for the Eastern Daily Press.

I don't know anything about the Suffolk Stour as it's the wrong side of Suffolk for me.

A little further than those two is the River Gipping around Needham Market and downstream, it looks like a charming little river if but a little sluggish. I've had some nice Chub from the stretch behind the Lake at Needham but again I don't know it too well..

But you're not actually too far (about 25 miles) from some of my favoured haunts on The Upper Waveney Valley. If you fancy a trip across this way then I'd be happy to PM you with some info..

Anderoo are there thought to be many Grayling in the Little Ouse? They are indeed very rare in this part of the world, infactt I've never caught a Norfolk Grayling. Theres a few in The Wensum around Bintree way but all on private stretches..

It's been a long time since I fished there, but we used to catch loads, on a free stretch too. I'll PM you the location. In summer we would just wear shorts, wade into the river and walk upstream casting flies (little white moths or black gnats were good, and if there was a hatch of hawthorns a little imitation hawthorn would be incredible) alongside weedbeds and tree lines. I didn't ever weigh any, but I suppose the biggest was about a pound and a half. In addition, the little chub and dace were suckers for a fly.

Trotting maggots would get you a million gudgeon and lots of other little fish. I once saw a huuuge pike swim almost through my legs before striking into a shoal of roach (the water was crystal clear, although it went a bit brown after that! :lol: ), and I once caught 5 brown trout one after the other trotting a worm under a loafer through incredibly shallow and broken water. I never did get one on the fly! My biggest chub for a long time (about 3lb 8oz) was caught on a hare's ear nymph from a deep pool by a bridge - that was a surprise!

A really lovely bit of water. I have a feeling we barely scratched the surface...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music