Picture Of The Month .. Nov 07.

MrWiggly

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Well it obviously wasn't your pic that lost out to a pin.

Now just read the quote below taken from here

No mention there of a pin (or a hat).

So, please tell me how do you take a picture which might be considered one of the best by a pin?

I don't know who's pic missed out because of a pin ayjay, certainly not mine, as I said, I didn't enter.

To be honest I'd be chuffed if one of mine got so far as to be even considered. :D

But as I, and some others have said, if you like two or three pics the same, and you haven't, (or feel you haven't) the expertise to judge on technique or composition, then how do you choose?

Maybe Judy shouldn't have mentioned the hat or pin, but I think she was just being honest about how hard she was finding the judging.

It seems others have used similar methods to decide when faced with this decision, so maybe a pic of yours as got through on the toss of a coin in the past, or maybe even a pin. :) Only the judge at the time will know.

John.

For what it's worth, I voted for No 5. The reason? Simply that I could imagine myself standing in that place looking out at that view. It also had a 'painting' quality about it that I liked. :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Final post on this topic

these are the comments I passed to Mr Wiggly with my choices!!!

Frosty Post ... a lovely picture of such a simple thing.made me shiver!

Newcastle Quayside

I liked the compostion so much packed in to the picture and always like to see black and white so atmospheric i thnk!

View to Polruan I thought well composed , again lots of detail for the eye to take in and good colours.A view to stare at.

A Brand New Day For Berwick I am a sucker for sunsets/sunrises just a delightful picture,spent ages trying to decide what the people on the beach were doing.

Its a Whitewash ... pure envy!!!!!!!! again a lovely picture just has something extra

Been Fishing .... nice picture,although may not be technically brilliant in regard to depth of field ,I thought it had been given some serious thought and time taken to set up quite a hard shot to get.

I did have Den's Robin as well for a time then I thought that the Been Fishing would have been the more difficult to take as the Robin was just perched not flying...

Also it was Mr Wiggly's suggestion to use the offending pin!!!!!!!!!!

As to polarizing filters how would I know when ones been used ?

How would I know if a picture was a video grab!!! ?

Thanks to this forum and the constructive comments and criticism I have received since the forum started I feel I have progressed with my photography however I know my limitations and that is the technical side ,so as I said before its The Photo of The Day from now on.

Judith

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Aw Judy, I really was looking forward to this part of the whole process. There would be a lot gained by quite a few people on here if we could read what someone likes about a photograph and it would also help increase the quality of future entries by making people think a little longer about composition etc etc etc. But, if you dont want to, I guess thats OK. :) .

Cheers.......Mick.

When I posted this I did so with no intention of causing trouble. I did it for exactly the reasons in the quote. I wasnt having a go at what photo's Judy picked. They're the ones she picked and good on her. They all have something to offer. Sorry Judy, I really didnt mean to put you in the position you now find yourself.

Thank God I won't find my self in this position again as I will be sticking to "Photo of The Day" in future after all I have won the competion three times all ready. :P

I take pictures because I love taking them,

Judith

Judy, your pics are improving all the time and I really enjoy having a look at what you've shot each time you post something. It would be a great pity if you didnt enter the monthly comps.

I'm disappointed to have lost out to a pin, I shall stick to the national lottery in future.

This to me was completely unnecessary. Judy picked her top 6 and thats that. I would think that you're never going to find 6 out of 50 picks that everyone agrees are the greatest. Photography is very much a personal thing. Something that you like in one pic might to someone else be just a waste of space. My asking Judy for her comments wasnt about getting her to justify why a pic got in. It was about seeing what she liked about each one. Ayjay, I think that that was just a big whinge. :angry:

The format of the comp' (unless I'm mistaken), was that the previous winner, had to make a decision based on his/her own choice. How they make that choice is up to them. That choice may be different to yours or mine, but that doesn't matter.

Thats exactly right Gozzer but as mentioned earlier. Part of the judging process was that the judge is required to comment on why they liked the photo's they picked. Thats all i was asking for.

Cheers........Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

Oh bugga, you posted this as i was composing my post. Judy, thats a great post. Thats all I was asking for. They're very well thought out comments and reflect what you saw in the shots. Well done and thankyou. Nuff said now.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

I can't add more to what's already been said.

December is going to be a challenging month photo wise. Its grim up here at the moment. Still, white balance shouldn't be a problem, because the sky has been a lovely mid grey for the last week.

I'm praying for a waterproof camera for Crimbo.

Lets get some good shots in there, girls & guys.

PS Hatton to win in the 8th. :)

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Morning folk :) took thif from our front bedroom window 5 mins ago.

Stormy2.jpg

Its a cracking day at the moment. Looks like I am on a photoshoot with my little Cannon compact today then.

Will say it once more,well done Judy. I found it hard to get it down to 20!!!! :D

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

cmon Judy, keep entering the comps, no one wants you to leave, they are just expressing their opinion for what its worth. if you dont agree with it ( and obviously you dont ) just ignore it.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Ok calmer today,I do ask my self if its worth continuing with competions ,anyone reading this thread will surely think twice before entering the current one

Perhaps no judge should be asked for their reasons that way the people who like to share their opinions on the pictures with us can do so with out putting anyone under pressure.

:camera: Judith

PS I didnt say I was leaving the forum just not willing to enter the competion at the moment ,I have learnt so much and there is so much more to learn from this forum and all its members ..I have to try to get to grips with photoshop yet!!!!!!!!!!! and macro shots so I'm not really going anywhere.

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Ok calmer today,I do ask my self if its worth continuing with competions ,anyone reading this thread will surely think twice before entering the current one

Perhaps no judge should be asked for their reasons that way the people who like to share their opinions on the pictures with us can do so with out putting anyone under pressure.

:camera: Judith

PS I didnt say I was leaving the forum just not willing to enter the competion at the moment ,I have learnt so much and there is so much more to learn from this forum and all its members ..I have to try to get to grips with photoshop yet!!!!!!!!!!! and macro shots so I'm not really going anywhere.

Glad to hear your feeling better Judy,

It's a shame if you don't enter, you've got some great countryside around you that would make good winter shots.

Besides that, tha's gotta keep at it lass, tha's doing it f'Yorksher tha'nows. ;)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John