Picture Of The Month .. Nov 07.

MrWiggly

Judy do not get embroiled into politics !!! I am just getting into this game because I enjoy it. The 6 you picked were the ones you liked the most. That reason works for me sweetheart :)

Lets focus on the Dec comp lads. I hope we get plenty of Xmas Day "family shots". Try and capture the kiddies expressions as they open their pressies :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just driven some 20 miles in a howling gale to reach an Internet cafe in order to see how the Photoforum is going. My own personal computor has been taken away, awaiting warranty repair.

-----------------------------------------------------

Some time ago I decided to close down the old "Photo Challenge" competition. This was for two reasons.

1. Lack of interest. The competition was attracting fewer and fewer entrants, and apathy was setting in.

2. I constantly received PMs from members commenting not only on what they considered to be "irregularities" in entrants submissions, but also offering "advice" on how the forum could be better moderated.

-------------------------------------

A great deal of time and effort was spent in introducing and refining a new competition. Not only by myself, but also by other members.

The new competition was launched in the hope that not only would it invigorate the Photoforum in general, it would also attract the attention of AnglersNet members who were not active in the Photoforum, and tempt them into the clan..

------------------------------------------

The first run of the competition was what I would consider to be an success, attracting 56 entries and over 2,000 viewers. There was also considerable interest and entries from AN members who do not normally enter the Photoforum. This was possibly due to blatant advertising of the competition on other AN forums by your moderator.

--------------------------------------------

When the completed competition thread was finally opened for discussion, in a very short space of time it received negative comments surrounding the judges decision on the final six.. It also received some comments on the final six pictures themselves, which if fair enough.

There was not one comment on the actual competition itself, nor on the other 50 pictures entered in the competition.

I am also once again receiving PMs offering advice on how things should be conducted.

----------------------------------------------------

There is a vast difference between a picture and a photograph. That is why I intentionally called this competition "Picture Of The Month" and not "Photograph Of The Month"

This is a fun competition, and the only prize is the kudos and enjoyment of winning.. The entrants range from people who only just know one end of a camera from another to highly capable amateurs. There are also those that would like to label themselves "Experts"

That is why the competition rules allow for technical merit to be taken into account.

I do not consider myself to be an "expert" in anything. I have been taking pictures for over 30 years, and I doubt if I have produced what I consider to be 20 photographs in that time. As one poster has suggested, if you want your pictures to be assessed by photographers then there are places that can facilitate your request. Your presence will be missed ,for your input is much valued, and there are many people on here that are eager to learn from people whom they consider to be better than themselves.

-----------------------------------------

The judge for this competition has been placed under what I consider to be undue pressure, obliging her to explain her choices when it was not necessary to do so, and ahead of time.

To those of you who are fond of quoting the competition rules may I offer the following quote, also from the competition rules ..

"When the poll has finished the Judge will be invited to give a brief description of his/her choices on the competition thread ."

--------------------------------------------------

What other members of AN think of this situation I cannot begin to imagine. Within a very short space of time the new competition has been significantly compromised. The first eight days of the new competition has attracted only one entrant.

Thank you for your entry Westie.

Also, a much loved and well respected member of AnglersNet has valiantly struggled to fulfill what she considered to be her obligations to the competition, and has received considerable negative vibes for her trouble.

I have personally apologised to Nurse Judy.

-----------------------------------------

Words cannot expressed the disbelief and disappointment .

My first instinct when I saw what has taken place was to close down the competition, and possibly take more radical steps. I have been persuaded, by people who's opinions I value, not to take this course of action.

The competition will continue to run.

This is your competition, and its success or failure depends on you.

I personally hope that it will be the success that it deserves to be, and move on to greater things ...

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Well said boss :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

A great deal of time and effort was spent in introducing and refining a new competition. Not only by myself, but also by other members.

Yes, and thank you and others for your time volunteered. This represented my first entry in the competition, and quite frankly, I was amazed at the quality of the photography entered by the participants. Really. If time permits I will make the effort again this month. Good stuff.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

i think the quality of the pics was outstanding and not at all easy to judge. i think that the 6 photos that were chosen are all worthy of being there. its a great little competition and i am going to go out with my 80 euros digi, on auto, and see what i can find for the december comp :clap:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Well there you go Wiggles, not so bad after all. I shall also continue to enter sometimes, but definitely won't offer any comments again. I feel I may have sparked off the controversy, if so I apologise..it won't happen again :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic