Anglng Gizmos that Failed to catch on.

BoldBear

(In the same vein as the "Angling advances and changes" thread),

Does anyone know of any Anglng Gizmos/Inventions that failed to catch on?.

I remember the Magipult (I think thats what it was called) which was promoted by Bob Nudd.

I still have one in my shed, it was used for one handed feeding of maggots when pole fishing.

However it made an awful loud bang when used and was quickly assigned to the back of the shed.

Whatever happened to the rods which had the line threaded internally?

It seemed Ideal for stalking rods which could be poked through undergrowth etc. I think Diawa had a couple in their catalogue. But of course the Idea failed when weed attatched itself to the line, or the line stuck to the internal walls of the rod when wet.

Anyone think of some more angling gizmos that failed???

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i once bought these leads that had a slot in the side of them. the idea was that you injected a chosen flavour and milk into a little gelantine capsule, placed it into the slot on the lead and held it in place with a rubber band. the capsule would then dissolve and hey presto a lovely cloud of flavour around your hook. ideal for winter carping said the article. so off i went one february evening to the lake i was carping, armed with my new method. i was not at all impressed in the morning when after a takeless night i reeled in and all the stuff was still in the capsules because they had not melted! i would not mind but it was not even that cold! a total waste of money! :angry:

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Gardner Rollerball-no one could get them to work!

Nash Boillie gun -er strangely enough these neither.

Mabby maggot boats.

Newark Needle floats.

Pole roller gloves.

And loads of others that elude me at the moment.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Gardner Rollerball-no one could get them to work!

Nash Boillie gun -er strangely enough these neither.

Mabby maggot boats.

Newark Needle floats.

Pole roller gloves.

And loads of others that elude me at the moment.

The 'self striking rod rest' (don't remember who made them).

The 'clockwork reel' ( if I remember right it had a spring that tightened as a fish ran, and then reeled in as the pressure was eased).

The 'seesaw' float that was designed to 'tip up' if you got a bite.

I was only talking about 'The Mabby' recently Budgie, I believe the late great Ivan Marks endorsed it. :o

I still have a couple of Walter Bowers needle floats and the weights that went with them, I have caught a few fish on them as well!

I also seem to remember someone making a motor bike, that had a compartment under the seat you could slide a holdall into, and a carrier for your box on the back. One of the weeklies had a competition to win one.

Aah, memories :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Shakespeare produced an excellent, programmable gizmo for taking and recording water temperatures at required depths, as well as acting as a supremely accurate depth finder. Brilliant! But they didn't include the word 'carp' in the title, bad mistake, and so it drifted into undeserved obscurity.

Do you mean Newark Needle Weights - came in when lead was being banned - I could never cast them with getting a tangle...

Chris, the 'Needle floats' were on sale in the early 70s, along with the weight system, then the 'leger needle weights' were introduced. They were supposed to eliminate snagging in the rocks that were found in a lot of swims on the Trent.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Lesney bread Bait Press:

http://www.vintagetoys.com.au/breadbaitpress.htm

"It proved to be very successful".

Yeah, that's why it was only produced between 1954 and 1957... :rolleyes:

Mind you, I had mine in 1964, so they must have been knocking around in the dark corners of tackle shops for some time after the last production run!

I bought a thing which is a combined float and feeder (Maver - maybe). Set it up on a float rod, filled it with maggots and attempted a cast. Near snapped the rod, didn't go more than six feet, caused the worst tangle I've had in ages, and is now consigned to my garage. Looked like a good idea in the shop !

When you stop enjoying it, stop doing it.

Rodge.