Fly-fishing in Winter

Charley

The days are getting shorter and colder, we're almost in the time of year I would put my fly rods down and pick up a spinning rod, or a newspaper. However, last year I had an excellent days fishing in February for Grayling on The Test. I'm not sure I can stretch to the expense again this year, and certainly not more than a days worth, but my eyes have been opened to the benefits of keeping the fly rods out all year round.

Trouble is, I live in London, where Grayling are sadly short on the ground! I was wondering how many of you keep fishing through the Winter and what you target? I know I could visit my local lake for Rainbows, is that good sport (I'm guessing I need to invest in a line that doesn't float)? Would I have more fun changing targets and going after Pike, Perch or Chub? Or should the only flies I handle be those on my trousers?

The days are getting shorter and colder, we're almost in the time of year I would put my fly rods down and pick up a spinning rod, or a newspaper. However, last year I had an excellent days fishing in February for Grayling on The Test. I'm not sure I can stretch to the expense again this year, and certainly not more than a days worth, but my eyes have been opened to the benefits of keeping the fly rods out all year round.

Trouble is, I live in London, where Grayling are sadly short on the ground! I was wondering how many of you keep fishing through the Winter and what you target? I know I could visit my local lake for Rainbows, is that good sport (I'm guessing I need to invest in a line that doesn't float)? Would I have more fun changing targets and going after Pike, Perch or Chub? Or should the only flies I handle be those on my trousers?

Pike,chub on the rivers.Plenty of stillwaters around in Surrey/Sussex for rainbows with the odd tiger.I fish all year round both fly and coarse.

Floating line will still see you ok on the stillwaters,perhaps a sinktip or a sinker on the deeper waters.If you like using nymphs,buzzers etc,just continue with them,they will still catch even in the cold,just fish em deeper.

Thanks, I've got a 9'3 #6 set up which I use for stillwater Trout, I imagine that would do fine for Chub and Perch too, but would I not need something a little heftier for Pike? I've been thinking about either having a go for them at a nearby reservoir, although there's a stretch of the Thames outside the M25 which might be fun, I know it holds Perch and Pike, not sure about Chub, though I can see no reason why they wouldn't be in there. There are some nice Roach in there too.

But yes, my other main fly rod is an 8'6 #5, do I need something heavier? I've seen the Masterline Toothy Critter fly-rod out there, though I've only heard bad things about it.

Thanks, I've got a 9'3 #6 set up which I use for stillwater Trout, I imagine that would do fine for Chub and Perch too, but would I not need something a little heftier for Pike? I've been thinking about either having a go for them at a nearby reservoir, although there's a stretch of the Thames outside the M25 which might be fun, I know it holds Perch and Pike, not sure about Chub, though I can see no reason why they wouldn't be in there. There are some nice Roach in there too.

But yes, my other main fly rod is an 8'6 #5, do I need something heavier? I've seen the Masterline Toothy Critter fly-rod out there, though I've only heard bad things about it.

Yes,you do need to step up the gear.An eight weight really and traces of course,thinking of having a bash myself either on the thames or a stillwater somewhere.

Some sevens would be fine but 8 or 8-9 in 9' or 9'6'' ideal. I wouldn't get a 10'+ as the leverage can be tiring on the wrist. I also prefer a slower rod with bigger flies to throw a more open loop. You might do well to get a rod rigged for saltwater which would also do well for sea trout/salmon if you happen to be in the right place at the right time. Some multi-section rods- I have an old Loop adventure 4 piece that has caught me pike as well as salmon, bass, mackerel, pollack and sea-trout- can go in your bag on the off chance. You could try Simpsons of Turnford (off the A10) on the way to fish the Lea? They have rods you can try & huge experience.

Thanks guys,

I figured on using American Fishing Wire for my traces, attached to the fly with a jam knot and to the mono section of the leader via a loop.

In The Adaptable Flyfisher, Lou Stevens suggests using a close braid of mono tied into the fly when chasing Pike. Admittedly, he's referring to Jack's, but their teeth are no less sharp in my experience! I might consider it if I was fishing for Chub or Perch, as a bit of insurance, still not very comfortable with it as a practical solution to Pike teeth. For Chub and Perch I fancy a #6 weight rod would be fine and anything above that is starting to get overly heavy.

There seem to be some good value #7/8 and #8 weight rods available on the Tacklebargains website, though I wonder if these might be on the light side for large Pike and the heavy side for anything else. The Toothy Critter fly lines seem to come only in #9 or #10 so it looks like a 9' #9 is the best bet, at least then I can be confident it will cope with the large flys and wire traces.

All I need now is to find some water with Pike in! :g: