What small rivers near London are near a station?

tiddlertamer

I live in London and don't currently own a car - which restricts my options when going out fishing.

I've only just dicovered angling but I have fallen in love with coarse fishing on small rivers.

I'm learning to trot a float and occasionally freeline.

My main problem is finding a spot on a beatiful stretch of river in the heart of the scenic countryside without having a car to get me there.

Can anyone recommend a spot on a river not too far from London but also within reasonable walking distance of a station?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

I live in London and don't currently own a car - which restricts my options when going out fishing.

I've only just dicovered angling but I have fallen in love with coarse fishing on small rivers.

I'm learning to trot a float and occasionally freeline.

My main problem is finding a spot on a beatiful stretch of river in the heart of the scenic countryside without having a car to get me there.

Can anyone recommend a spot on a river not too far from London but also within reasonable walking distance of a station?

How far out of London?? A lot of the R Kennet is close to village halt type stations on the Kennet line. The lovely Barton Court fishery - which gives excellent small stream trotting sport in the winter (and is a DT water) is walking distance from Kintbury station (about an hour from Paddington).

See:

http://www.riverkennet.co.uk/index.html

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The River Darenth at Horton Kirby is a small river, with plenty of Chub, Dace and Perch. There is about a mile of free fishing, which is a 10 min walk from Farningham Road station.

Also, the river Medway runs parrallel with a railway track. At East Farliegh, you can fish both downstream and upstream from the station (not where the boats are though) for quite a way. It can be a challenge, but good Chub, Roach and Carp are not too hard to find. There are also stretches at Yalding, and Maidstone (you need Maidstone West station) town centre is very good at this time of year.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

The Pike in the right hand picture of that link looks huge or is it a case of hold it as close to the camera as you can?? Or indeed Photoshop, I've just had another look and it appears bigger than him!

Another case of 10ft arms I reckon :P Still a huge fish though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The River Wandle........oh sorry I forgot that this was totally destroyed in my area by Thames Water :angry: Oh "again" that should read.............

On a more helpfull note try looking to see if there is an easy connection from you to Kingston/Hampton Court.Some excellent (and free I believe?) fishing on the Thames there.Or is that a bit to big?

Exactly what part of London do you live in and what do you prefer/want to fish for?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The River Wandle........oh sorry I forgot that this was totally destroyed in my area by Thames Water :angry: Oh "again" that should read.............

On a more helpfull note try looking to see if there is an easy connection from you to Kingston/Hampton Court.Some excellent (and free I believe?) fishing on the Thames there.Or is that a bit to big?

Exactly what part of London do you live in and what do you prefer/want to fish for?

Not sure how to find it, but there was a similar topic I started a while back which turned into almost a list of London fishing tips.

I'll see if I can dig it up.

Cheers,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Not sure how to find it, but there was a similar topic I started a while back which turned into almost a list of London fishing tips.

I'll see if I can dig it up.

Cheers,

Simon

Here's the thread I mentioned. Focusses on mainly North London but still interesting:-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Fishing...l&hl=London

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Not exactly in the heart of the countryside, but the Wey at Guildford is about 10-15 minutes walk from the station and there are regular trains from Waterloo. Some good chub fishing (or used to be, haven't fished it for years), plus dace, perch and a few trout (some quite big).