What small rivers near London are near a station?

tiddlertamer

River Roding near Buckhurst Hill station, small river, quite pretty along that stretch, some nice fish. You could also use Redbridge Station although the river is less aesthetically pleasing along that stretch it is a bit wider and can hold some decent roach and chub.

River Lee/Lee Navigational Canal near Tottenham Hale, all species including Carp and Pike, although not an overly pretty place to fish.

Water is no more than 10-15 minutes walk (if laden with tackle) in any of the above.

I live in London and don't currently own a car - which restricts my options when going out fishing.

I've only just dicovered angling but I have fallen in love with coarse fishing on small rivers.

I'm learning to trot a float and occasionally freeline.

My main problem is finding a spot on a beatiful stretch of river in the heart of the scenic countryside without having a car to get me there.

Can anyone recommend a spot on a river not too far from London but also within reasonable walking distance of a station?

The River Wey at Farnham is free fishing and only 2 minute walk from the station.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Thank you to everybody who has responded to this thread.

I hope to fish each and everyone of these rivers over the next few months.

I'll aim to post a report on each visit with details of how successful my tiddler taming has been...

There's something about trotting a river which is magical as there is a real sense of movement. I'm wondering if fixed reel spools are the way forward though? Centrepins seem to be popular. However as someone who has only recently taken up angling, I am seriously bad at casting and tangle will surely become my nickname. Any views anybody on which reel I should be using?

Keep those suggestions for beautiful spots to go river fishing near a station, not much more than an hour from London, rolling in.

Many thanks

Tiddler Tamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• 2 weeks later...
The River Darenth at Horton Kirby is a small river, with plenty of Chub, Dace and Perch. There is about a mile of free fishing, which is a 10 min walk from Farningham Road station.

Also, the river Medway runs parrallel with a railway track. At East Farliegh, you can fish both downstream and upstream from the station (not where the boats are though) for quite a way. It can be a challenge, but good Chub, Roach and Carp are not too hard to find. There are also stretches at Yalding, and Maidstone (you need Maidstone West station) town centre is very good at this time of year.

Always good to know about free river fishing, especially near a station not too far from London.

Methinks Horton Kirby is perhaps not quite the scenic countryside experience that I was looking for though. I just came across Chris Yates 'Falling in Again." (A splendid read...). He talks of the semi-urban surroundings of north-west Kent. According to Chris: "After a particularly dodgy night at Horton Kirby, which may have been a well-known carp water but was also, after dark, the setting for all kinds of other dubious activites, we felt we must make more effort to track down our own ideal pool."

I am fascinated by the river Darent though. I believe it virtually ran dry in the early 1990s due to too much water extraction. I believe a lot of work has been done to bring the river back to life. How is it now? Much water? And of course, are there many fish? Are these fish the origianal wild fish of the river or have the Environment Agency restocked the river?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Always good to know about free river fishing, especially near a station not too far from London.

Methinks Horton Kirby is perhaps not quite the scenic countryside experience that I was looking for though. I just came across Chris Yates 'Falling in Again." (A splendid read...). He talks of the semi-urban surroundings of north-west Kent. According to Chris: "After a particularly dodgy night at Horton Kirby, which may have been a well-known carp water but was also, after dark, the setting for all kinds of other dubious activites, we felt we must make more effort to track down our own ideal pool."

I am fascinated by the river Darent though. I believe it virtually ran dry in the early 1990s due to too much water extraction. I believe a lot of work has been done to bring the river back to life. How is it now? Much water? And of course, are there many fish? Are these fish the origianal wild fish of the river or have the Environment Agency restocked the river?

Shallow chalk stream with some deeper areas, Used to have commercial boat traffic on it untill the turn of the centry so it was obviously deeper and wider once.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

• 3 weeks later...
River Roding near Buckhurst Hill station, small river, quite pretty along that stretch, some nice fish. You could also use Redbridge Station although the river is less aesthetically pleasing along that stretch it is a bit wider and can hold some decent roach and chub.

River Lee/Lee Navigational Canal near Tottenham Hale, all species including Carp and Pike, although not an overly pretty place to fish.

Water is no more than 10-15 minutes walk (if laden with tackle) in any of the above.

Which stretch of the river Roding near Buckhurst Hill station is best. The part north of Roding Lane behind the David Lloyd Lesiure Centre or the part south of Roding Lane.

What sort of fish doea the River Roding hold and what tactics are best to catch them at this time of year? (Winter)