Salmon double hander

Diggers

I really need a new salmon rod. I have a fifteen footer it is absolutely dandy but ban be a bit much on the twice broken right wrist so I am looking for a lighter shorter 13' or 13'6''.

I like the idea of a cheaper Sage- the VT2 13'6'' looks the biz. Or maybe the Guideline Lpxe? I'd rather spend more and be happy- a rubbish 'bargain' is no such thing.

Any suggestions?

Oh and by the way 'need', ' new' and 'rod' in the same sentence sound familiar?

Diggers

I really need a new salmon rod. I have a fifteen footer it is absolutely dandy but ban be a bit much on the twice broken right wrist so I am looking for a lighter shorter 13' or 13'6''.

I like the idea of a cheaper Sage- the VT2 13'6'' looks the biz. Or maybe the Guideline Lpxe? I'd rather spend more and be happy- a rubbish 'bargain' is no such thing.

Any suggestions?

Oh and by the way 'need', ' new' and 'rod' in the same sentence sound familiar?

Diggers

different league to me.

a couple of the guys I fish with have orvis and sage rods, they recommended a rod that surprised me for the money (just under a hundred notes), I fished with it this season with some success. It's not as pretty but it actually fished 100 times better than I expected.................the surprise to me was that it was made by a firm i'd previousley discounted in this kind of gear.....shakespeare........!

best of luck with your search, i'll pose your question to a couple of the more financially secure members of my club who are good anglers as well as being tackle tarts, and see what they recommend.

cheers

phil

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Up here the Guidelines have a good name. I really does depend on what you want to spend.There is a great buy on the market at the moment and it's the Shakespeare Oracle, will do all you want for £49.99.If you are using something that is "breaking your wrist", I would get a lesson. :D ps The 3 piece 15ft Oracle is much better than the 4 piece.Up here the Guidelines have a good name. I really does depend on what you want to spend.There is a great buy on the market at the moment and it's the Shakespeare Oracle, will do all you want for £49.99.If you are using something that is "breaking your wrist", I would get a lesson. :D ps The 3 piece 15ft Oracle is much better than the 4 piece.

Up here the Guidelines have a good name. I really does depend on what you want to spend.There is a great buy on the market at the moment and it's the Shakespeare Oracle, will do all you want for £49.99.If you are using something that is "breaking your wrist", I would get a lesson. :D ps The 3 piece 15ft Oracle is much better than the 4 piece.Up here the Guidelines have a good name. I really does depend on what you want to spend.There is a great buy on the market at the moment and it's the Shakespeare Oracle, will do all you want for £49.99.If you are using something that is "breaking your wrist", I would get a lesson. :D ps The 3 piece 15ft Oracle is much better than the 4 piece.

Many thanks for that!

I have an Oracle IV 15' an it is fine- though interestingly, you say, not as good as the 3 piece. I am lucky enough to have some fishing paid for for next season in June and was looking to buy a new, shorter, lighter rod as I am not having to finance my fishing. The reason for my wrist problem is mostly because I broke my right wrist twice in consecutive years playing rugby as a teenager. I can reasonably easily speycast the full snowbee line with the Oracle but will always get sore. I borrowed a Sage 13' graphite III for an afternoon, admitedly on a smaller river than I fish in June, and it felt like a trout rod but one that could aeralise 25 yds with hardly ant bother at all. Which brings me back to the original issue! Ie Sage or Guideline or even Oracle 3.

Tight lines.

Digger.

Hey Digger hows it going, I have fished in Ireland on my local river to gr8 sucess this year and have found that double handed rods unless you use them all the time, and are fortunate to use them all the time, are a bit cumbersume. I have had about four or five salmon around ten pound this year and a good few more using my Diawa Whisker 11ft 6" Seatrout rod with a light large arbor reel. I can't get used to using a doublehanded rod, but then again I haven't had the cash to buy a really good expensive one. I know I have probably put a lot of stress on this wonderful rod, but I would be quite comofortable using this rod even for bigger fish. The kick and play on this type of rod for lively salmon is gr8 craic. And it ain't to heavy on the wrist either.

Hope you find what suits you anyway Regards SDD

Many thanks for that!

I have an Oracle IV 15' an it is fine- though interestingly, you say, not as good as the 3 piece. I am lucky enough to have some fishing paid for for next season in June and was looking to buy a new, shorter, lighter rod as I am not having to finance my fishing. The reason for my wrist problem is mostly because I broke my right wrist twice in consecutive years playing rugby as a teenager. I can reasonably easily speycast the full snowbee line with the Oracle but will always get sore. I borrowed a Sage 13' graphite III for an afternoon, admitedly on a smaller river than I fish in June, and it felt like a trout rod but one that could aeralise 25 yds with hardly ant bother at all. Which brings me back to the original issue! Ie Sage or Guideline or even Oracle 3.

Tight lines.

Digger.

Hey Digger hows it going, I have fished in Ireland on my local river to gr8 sucess this year and have found that double handed rods unless you use them all the time, and are fortunate to use them all the time, are a bit cumbersume. I have had about four or five salmon around ten pound this year and a good few more using my Diawa Whisker 11ft 6" Seatrout rod with a light large arbor reel. I can't get used to using a doublehanded rod, but then again I haven't had the cash to buy a really good expensive one. I know I have probably put a lot of stress on this wonderful rod, but I would be quite comofortable using this rod even for bigger fish. The kick and play on this type of rod for lively salmon is gr8 craic. And it ain't to heavy on the wrist either.

Hope you find what suits you anyway Regards SDD

Horses for courses they say.

You will not fish my local river with anything under 12ft under normal conditions.

Suffice to say, go with the flow ;)

When the water is low it is great for the s/trout fishers and that is where the shorter rod comes into it's own

You don't need to spend a fotune on a "double hander".

I have and use one of the smaller Shakespeare Oracle 13' four piece rods as it has a lovely sweet action and is eminently capable it comes recommended.

I know that they are not expensive but they do a fine job

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan