Catfish on fly...?

Pipe

This is one of my favorite fish to catch on fly! It is really fun to catch a 5kg+ catfish on a 6 to 7 weight fly rod!

I'm going to explain my simple technique I use to catch them. Firstly I look for activity on the water, then I start tapping the near the activity. I tap the fly 3 times on the same spot, then let it sink for a second or 2 and then repeat the action. Normally I stay at one spot for about 5 minutes before I move on. The strike is very aggressive and sometimes they swallow the fly!

The other technique I use is to look for fish that are rising, then I cast my fly in front of them and normally they will smack it!

I use my own fly pattern, it consist of a double hook with a red body made from wool, a tail with two long chicken feathers and black body feathers like a Mrs. Simpson fly! I use a very short leader about 50-75cm!

Is there anyone else that also catch catfish on fly and how do you do it?

I have added a photo of one of my fly caught cats!

post-12572-1194290529_thumb.jpg

Yes please!

This is one of my favorite fish to catch on fly! It is really fun to catch a 5kg+ catfish on a 6 to 7 weight fly rod!

I'm going to explain my simple technique I use to catch them. Firstly I look for activity on the water, then I start tapping the near the activity. I tap the fly 3 times on the same spot, then let it sink for a second or 2 and then repeat the action. Normally I stay at one spot for about 5 minutes before I move on. The strike is very aggressive and sometimes they swallow the fly!

The other technique I use is to look for fish that are rising, then I cast my fly in front of them and normally they will smack it!

I use my own fly pattern, it consist of a double hook with a red body made from wool, a tail with two long chicken feathers and black body feathers like a Mrs. Simpson fly! I use a very short leader about 50-75cm!

Is there anyone else that also catch catfish on fly and how do you do it?

I have added a photo of one of my fly caught cats!

Thats a big old cat Pipe we only have the Europian (wells) Catfish over here and they are an introduced speicies I dont believe they are free rising and judging by thier eyes which tiny beady things. you would need a fly the size of a Parrot to get it to notice they are also huge we would have to step up the tackle wieght for certain.

is the speicies you get what the Zimbabweians call Bundo?

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Thats a big old cat Pipe we only have the Europian (wells) Catfish over here and they are an introduced speicies I dont believe they are free rising and judging by thier eyes which tiny beady things. you would need a fly the size of a Parrot to get it to notice they are also huge we would have to step up the tackle wieght for certain.

is the speicies you get what the Zimbabweians call Bundo?

Don't you mean Vundu? The fish in the photo is a sharptooth catfish, it is related to the Vundu! I think the only way a wels would rise is if it was hunting for smaller fish in the shallows or maybe if there is birds breading near the water and some ot the chicks fell in. The wells you would probably catch at night when it is more active with a big, noisy fly. You would probably have to use a 10 weight fly rod for wells! But think it would be a lot of work!

Anybody else that is catching cats on fly? Maybe some of the members from USA?

Yes please!

Don't you mean Vundu? The fish in the photo is a sharptooth catfish, it is related to the Vundu! I think the only way a wels would rise is if it was hunting for smaller fish in the shallows or maybe if there is birds breading near the water and some ot the chicks fell in. The wells you would probably catch at night when it is more active with a big, noisy fly. You would probably have to use a 10 weight fly rod for wells! But think it would be a lot of work!

Anybody else that is catching cats on fly? Maybe some of the members from USA?

I thought Bundu was a Good attempt for a Kent Boy ;)

I think wels on a fly would be awkward to say the least although I would not discount it entirely.I do believe they take chicks off the top as you said I have only ever seen one though about 35lb so Im only guessing

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Pipe youve more or less answered your own question! Ive caught Wells Catfish on the fly (8" Dahlburg Diver) whilst they have been "fry feeding" on 4lb carp on the surface.Only did it the once (as the fight was to long for my liking) but I just simply casted out amongst the commotion and retrieved the fly on/just sub surface.I took it on a 7 weight out fit (accidently packed the wrong rod).Great fun and a good story but not to be repeated!post-142-1194412032_thumb.jpg

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Pipe youve more or less answered your own question! Ive caught Wells Catfish on the fly (8" Dahlburg Diver) whilst they have been "fry feeding" on 4lb carp on the surface.Only did it the once (as the fight was to long for my liking) but I just simply casted out amongst the commotion and retrieved the fly on/just sub surface.I took it on a 7 weight out fit (accidently packed the wrong rod).Great fun and a good story but not to be repeated!post-142-1194412032_thumb.jpg

Cricky Budgie,

I take my hat of to you, I was dubious of it being done Well done mate!

انا آكل كل الفطائر