TFG Centrepin

P@UL

Whether it spins well or not isn't the point really. Improve Your 'Carp' Angling did a test a few years back by setting the reel spinning 3 times and taking and average for how long the spool rotated....garbage test. What you want to know is whether or not a your average trotting rig set into freefall from the tip of your rod will set the spool turning. That's the important bit.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Whether it spins well or not isn't the point really. Improve Your 'Carp' Angling did a test a few years back by setting the reel spinning 3 times and taking and average for how long the spool rotated....garbage test. What you want to know is whether or not a your average trotting rig set into freefall from the tip of your rod will set the spool turning. That's the important bit.

Aren't you contradicting yourself there Andy? Having a smooth, balanced, reel is what enables the float to draw line from the drum easily in the first place isn't it?

The primary use of a centrepin is on running water so a smooth running reel is essential for float control. For those who use them on stillwaters for carp fishing, obviously all you need to do is cast out and then play a fish - you're not trotting the float anywhere so you wouldn't need a smooth reel, but that's quite a small group of people there.

James

;)

Edited by James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Hello all,

I ordered a TFG x-pin centrepin off the net last night in a moment of weakness :rolleyes:

I know I should have done my research first but I did a search for topics on here and one guy says it's absolute rubbish.

Has anyone used them? What are they like?

P@UL

Not the best, take it back i would vote,

wolfie10

!You Were Wild Once Dont Let Them Tame You!

Not the same at all. You can't possibly compare a reel lying flat, set spinning with fingers with the ease in which a rig would take line from the spool.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Aren't you contradicting yourself there Andy? Having a smooth, balanced, reel is what enables the float to draw line from the drum easily in the first place isn't it?

James

;)

No I agree with Andy just because a pin "spins for ever" doesnt make it a great reel for trotting.Especially for light work.

"Spinning for ever" does show smoothness agreed but it also shows a heavy spool!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thangyoo Budgie.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

No I agree with Andy just because a pin "spins for ever" doesnt make it a great reel for trotting.Especially for light work.

They can be a real pain in my experience.

Paul

Thanks everyone for the input.

Well...The TFG pin arrived this morning and I quite like it.

It seems solidly built with no wobble. Spins very smoothly, ok maybe not for ever but as some have stated that isn't the true test of a good pin.

Looks wise its fine by me though I would rather it was a little more matted but it's not that shiney.

After comparing it to a friends Leeds It is very similar to be honest with a slightly wider spool than a lot of pins.

At the price I got it for It's fine an I'm going to keep it. It ain't no donkey but It ain't no thoroughbred.

By the way has anyone else noticed the leeds pins have shot up in price?

Take a look,

http://www.center-pin-fishing-reels.com/

P@UL