Genealogy

Paul_D

My family on my Dad's side is a complete mystery, shrouded in secrecy and I was never able to get any answers as to what or who my paternal Grandfather was all about. I know he was a 'ner do well' who met a dodgy end care of the Glasgow underworld but I wouldn't mind finding out more about my late fathers side of the family. Do any of you have any advice on which of the on-line genealogy sites to subscribe to and which not to?

Paul

My family on my Dad's side is a complete mystery, shrouded in secrecy and I was never able to get any answers as to what or who my paternal Grandfather was all about. I know he was a 'ner do well' who met a dodgy end care of the Glasgow underworld but I wouldn't mind finding out more about my late fathers side of the family. Do any of you have any advice on which of the on-line genealogy sites to subscribe to and which not to?

Paul

I did my fathers side a couple of years ago got back to 1720 and its very interesting not as interesting as fishing but close, first you need to get as much info back to 1901, thats when you can search the local Births, Deaths and Marriages they only allow these records to the public from 1901, not sure but think its 100 years before the records can be made public.

First start with your Dad do you have any certificates for him like ideally Birth or Marriage?

Scott....

First start with your Dad do you have any certificates for him like ideally Birth or Marriage?

Thanks Scott. I'll need to get on the phone to my sister. She dealt with his personal effects when he died so if there is anything she'll have it. I've definitely relatively recently seen the marriage certificate though.

Paul

Thanks Scott. I'll need to get on the phone to my sister. She dealt with his personal effects when he died so if there is anything she'll have it. I've definitely relatively recently seen the marriage certificate though.

Paul

don't worry if you haven't or can't find any, just will make things easy, if you cant find them you need to go to the registry office in the area your dad was born, just explain your tracing your family history and want to apply for a birth certificate, they will give you a form to fill out can't remember what you put down but its the basics Name, D.O.B., Address if known etc,

Once you have this it will have your Grandfather's details, Grandmother, and Occupation's then you can work back to your Grandparents marriage and so on until you cant find any more info,

Its all detective work but addictive especially when you find out were they lived, what jobs they did, wish you all the luck in the world Paul and hopefully you will have a good run.

Don't pay for membership type genealogy sites, you can search for free in your local Library that has the Census records for your area, also this one is free The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

They are Mormon's in the U.S., they came over and catalogued all Births, Deaths and Marriages in the British Isles, and some are missing but this was what I used to get some info, this only works to 1901 if I remember correctly though.

I don't want to give you too much to think about all at once but hope this helps,

If you get stuck or need any help just shout out,

Scott...

Paul

don't worry if you haven't or can't find any, just will make things easy, if you cant find them you need to go to the registry office in the area your dad was born, just explain your tracing your family history and want to apply for a birth certificate, they will give you a form to fill out can't remember what you put down but its the basics Name, D.O.B., Address if known etc,

Once you have this it will have your Grandfather's details, Grandmother, and Occupation's then you can work back to your Grandparents marriage and so on until you cant find any more info,

Its all detective work but addictive especially when you find out were they lived, what jobs they did, wish you all the luck in the world Paul and hopefully you will have a good run.

Don't pay for membership type genealogy sites, you can search for free in your local Library that has the Census records for your area, also this one is free The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

They are Mormon's in the U.S., they came over and catalogued all Births, Deaths and Marriages in the British Isles, and some are missing but this was what I used to get some info, this only works to 1901 if I remember correctly though.

I don't want to give you too much to think about all at once but hope this helps,

If you get stuck or need any help just shout out,

Scott...

Thanks again Scott. Dad was born in Leicester and I live in Yorkshire so not too easy. I may well get back to you for that help. Cheers.

Paul

Thanks again Scott. Dad was born in Leicester and I live in Yorkshire so not too easy. I may well get back to you for that help. Cheers.

If you ring your local Registry office get the number for Leicester and depending on how helpfully they are there they can do a search for you and post it on when they find it. I did this for my Mothers side, her's were all over the country.

be very careful in your research ,we had little results with my dads tree and only 2 generations back on my mothers.

we left messages on all the major sites for anything on my mothers father ,2 years later a email arrived from the daughter of my mums long lost sister.

she informed us of the correct spelling of my grt grt grandmothers surname and suddenly using a distant relatives research (we havent fathomed out the relationship yet as they are a distant branch) we suddenly got back to 1762 (as mentioned as a birth date in the 1810 cencus) .

my sister visited a graveyard in edinburgh and one tomb had the lot she had generations of my mums side at her feet and another with the same surname which may no doupt be another branch even an adjoining street bears our surname.

just a simple spelling mistake stopped us in out tracks but could have sent us on a completely false trail just as easily

my mums mums surname luckily is fairly rare had it been a common name the trail is far harder to follow and far easier to stray from.

still no luck from my fathers side but my mums mum has been excellent ,my grand dads on my mums side is another problem being very common in that part of scotland.

the best thing your living relatives can do is put on their pictures they posses is the name of the person/s and who they are we have a box full of musty pictures of people we dont know but are probably long gone relatives.

my mrs's dads side was easy as her uncle was a mormon so most of the blanks were filled in ,we were surprised how well known in mormon circles he was !

his name is also a very easy one to follow and it seems originating from the isle of man as far flung kewleys all seem to originate there.

just putting an ancestor with an uncommon name in google may reap rewards it certainly did for me but theres a warning from an old guy the research may bring up pleasent memories of dead relatives and sadness too hence for the moment i have stopped just one picture of an old haunt i loved as a kid brings a lump to my throat :cry:

for the inquisitive its this one a long gone view of a place i loved where everyone knew the wee english laddy :(

seton sands still exists but long gone are the railway carriages where my great aunt lived ,the chalets and annie redhead ,uncle norrie and aunty may ,and uncle willy and violet and the 1001 other hand built holiday homes all it is now is rows of cloned caravans without souls and waves from their owners as of old ,EVERYONE knew my grannie and bob thus everyone knew me ,now the residents are a fleeting fortnights guests.

long gone are the days when kids disapeared all day to entertain themselves and only seeing the odd car go past and the distinct smell of the coal fired chipshop as a cheap supper ,for a londoner it was a marvelouse holiday and we had every holiday in the school year there ,6 weeks of bliss

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chester

your right it isnt easy unless you have an unusual name if your name is Smith, Jones your in for some hard work, there are ways to cross reference on the census to make sure your on the right track, but they only go back to 1841 then your into Parish records that are mostly in original form and hand written which are very hard to read, some have been trans-scripted into book form but not 100%, there is a lot of cross referencing to be done and local library's have some helpful people, another option is to get a researcher to confirm your results once you hit a dead end.

Also a lot of people would lie about their age on a wedding certificate as proof wasn't needed so there is lots to take into account when you get back to 1800's, the IGN the mormons did and are on Micro fiche in local librarys free to search are a good cross reference and a good way to start.

we were lucky the family had stayed in the same place for generations and just were tipped into the plot and their name added to the stone ,we also found my grt granny on the stone which verified it.

unfortunately i didnt bother to get information from my parents before they died but clues were left in cuttings in a scrap book by my mum ,the family split up in the late 30's and my mum lived with her mum and the rest with my grandfather (such as things were then) and then completely hushed up giving the impression my mum was an only child.

even stranger i found an advert for my great grans house for sale a couple of years ago( she died in the 60's) and finding a pic with my mum and gran standing in front of it in the 50's showed only minor things had changed ,its a small world once you start to dig , i can vagually remember it but from the side looking at the back door as a sort of picture in my mind and you can just make it out in the pics albeit the modern sale picture showed all the trees and shrubs gone.i can destinctly remember being sent to the mobile bakers for a loaf by my grt grt grannie at a very young age (horse and box car then) even the milkman was horse drawn and were talking of the 1960's for the latter!!!

google earth reveals my grans house today and what memories that brings up ,steam trains (famouse ones too) all bedecked with bunting flying past from waverly station taking people away on holiday.i just wish i had taken more care to remember more and listened harder but as was the custom kids were sent out of the room when adults spoke ,i remember being invited to my dads mums funeral ,trouble is i thought she was dead 20 years before :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, you're so right. Too late now but I now so wish I'd pressed to find out what the family history was when I'd had the chance.

Paul