Genealogy

Paul_D

we were lucky the family had stayed in the same place for generations and just were tipped into the plot and their name added to the stone ,we also found my grt granny on the stone which verified it.

unfortunately i didn't bother to get information from my parents before they died but clues were left in cuttings in a scrap book by my mum ,the family split up in the late 30's and my mum lived with her mum and the rest with my grandfather (such as things were then) and then completely hushed up giving the impression my mum was an only child.

even stranger i found an advert for my great grans house for sale a couple of years ago( she died in the 60's) and finding a pic with my mum and gran standing in front of it in the 50's showed only minor things had changed ,its a small world once you start to dig

My dad's side have lived in the same town for 280 years and only strayed 4 miles for one generation, yet my mum's side consisted of Mariner's so are spread all over, and to say its hard to trace is an understatement, its all very fulfilling once you start to find what your ancestors used to do, most of my dad's side all had big families 14 children some generation's, there was no coronation street then!

Edited by happymondays

Chesters, you're so right. Too late now but I now so wish I'd pressed to find out what the family history was when I'd had the chance.

if you have relatives you still have the chance ,my only remaining aunt (out of 14 kids) :o ,filled in the family on my dads side (several of my dads bros and sisters died in infancy) and theres scores of relatives ,but unfortunately my surname is common and london large so were still no further back than his dad :( she's getting old now so not long for this earth ,i have a seemingly genetic uncaring side so never bothered to find out anything about my family and with my genetic loner gene didnt really care at the time.

after all these revelations and frantic searching in reality i'm not sure i can be bothered to look harder ,its all being done by cheri my sons partner who luckily doesent share my genes :D

i'v even lost my (whatever she is) mums sisters daughters email address who seemed excited to find me , i expect my short responses (remember i thought my mum was an only child and didnt have the intelligence to spot long dead aunts were infact mums sisters) put her off as i didnt really know anything about anyone .

she emailed reams of who's who on her side of the tree and much about her life and kids, i mentioned i collected reels ,i'm such a sad person and have seemingly become very blinkered to all but that effects me in my daily life ,i would like a hermits life with broadband but i know my mrs wouldnt live in a cave :(

"My dad's side have lived in the same town for 280 years and only strayed 4 miles for one generation, yet my mum's side consisted of Mariner's so are spread all over, and to say its hard to trace is an understatement, its all very fulfilling once you start to find what your ancestors used to do, most of my dad's side all had big families 14 children some generation's, there was no coronation street then!"

most of mine were in service or worked on the land so no long lost money for me ,poor seems to be a family trait :D

one of my mrs's ancestor has a commemorative stone to be proud of ,mine probably picked them up from fields

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson