Disabled slur

Bluey

In this weeks AT on the letters page has appeared a letter slating all disabled anglers as "workshy moaning layabouts"

Well Tom Burton I tell you what I'll bet there's thousands of disabled anglers who'd swop places with you, you can have their disabilities and they'll have yuor good health.

Then you can be a moaning, whinging, bitching, lazy layabout.

AT-nov-6th-o7.jpg

You know it gives me a real warm feeling to know that one of my so called "brother anglers" hates and despises me because I'm disabled. Nice one Mr Burton.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tar us all with the same brush, Bluey. Some of us like and respect you :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I wouldn't have thought a bad back would prevent anyone from taking 100lb of 'pasties' from a commercial. (Boredom yes, but not a bad back) :rolleyes:

Take no notice of this bigotted, small minded ********, Bluey. <_<

The likes of him are just another reason why I don't buy the 'weeklies', or fish commercials, for that matter.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Oh believe me I don't Elton, I was brought up to accept people for woh they are not what they seem. I just wish people like this Tom Burton would stop and think before he opens his big gob and makes the comments he does.

I belong to reels-on-wheels which is new organisation promoting help for disabled anglers website....

www.reels-on-wheels.org

On there I've met up with a friend who is tetraplegic and he goes fishing he needs someone to be with him to help him but he catches fish none the less, so does this make him one of Mr Burtons "workshy moaners" I don't think so.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing

'Struth, Blue, sounds like the wan*** is a bit jealous. Or, a tad bigotted, as Elton stated.

Here, in Mackay, the council built a special fishing platform for the disabled fishos, over the Pioneer river, complete with wheelchair holding brackets so the blokes can land a decent fish and not have to worry about the wheels moving.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Bluey - I am one of the unfortunate people who don't 'look' disabled. I have grown a thick skin over time so that the slurs don't hurt. There will always be this display by failed medical experiments who get the message that we would gladly swap our disabilities with those able-bodied that are moaning about concessions!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Don't know which is worse, the e-mail or the AT for giving the oxygen of publicity to the little bigot. Correction - yes I do - AT - for trying to sell mags on the back of a controversy of their own making. They had the choice just to ignore the little kennet.*

C.

* see (probably false!) suggested etymology on wikipedia - one way of getting around the swear filter!!! :D

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I think anyone who disrespects the truly disabled is a very sick person indeed.

The chap posting in AT may have been referring to the type of people that frequent a lot of the lakes I have fished.

They are there for sessions usually ( some stay the entire season), but had to leave during Tuesday to "sign on", but I don't think they even have to do that now.

I have even heard a couple brag how their small white vans came courtesy of the Mobility scheme.

Perhaps Mr Burton could have been a bit more sensitive in his comments, but if he has seen what I have seen, then I sympathise with the theme of his letter.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

quote name='Cranfield' post='786802' date='Nov 7 2007, 01:19 PM']I think anyone who disrespects the truly disabled is a very sick person indeed.The chap posting in AT may have been referring to the type of people that frequent a lot of the lakes I have fished.They are there for sessions usually ( some stay the entire season), but had to leave during Tuesday to "sign on", but I don't think they even have to do that now.I have even heard a couple brag how their small white vans came courtesy of the Mobility scheme.Perhaps Mr Burton could have been a bit more sensitive in his comments, but if he has seen what I have seen, then I sympathise with the theme of his letter.

Braging Cranfield or Discussing ?I dare say there are poeple who swing the lead, We all know that! And they probably P1ss off more disabled people than ablebodied, If I was Ill and thank god thats not the case, the thought of sitting indoors would drive me to Madness even looking at water makes me relax and feel better, sweetcorn costs pennies and with disabled consessions available, A cheap day out forgeting worries is probably what you are seeing Cranfield. I always thought Angling was a great leveler I for instance an ex Bouncer and site Carpenter fishing allong side a Gaurds Brigadier and having somthing in common with him .When did we become so Judgemental? on the bank we are all eqaul Ive meet more good poeple fishing than bad ones Cranfield and I bet you would say the same :D .

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

five bellies - have another read of exactly what Cranfield posted. I think you got a wrong slant on part of it.

Hiya Bluey. Nice to see you posting again. The Burton fellow who wrote that bit is a real piece of work, isn't he?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President