Winter's here

Norm B

:o It must be winter as the first of the siskins have arrived at my feeders. I'd not seen a siskin until the hard, snowy winters of 3 or 4 years ago then we had a few which turned into what must have been the whole of the south coasts' population, 17 plus sometimes, usually more than a dozen. I was topping up the feeders twice a day some days, then the snow melted and all was back to normal, the following year was the same, started with the advance party, then the whole flock. Last year was a mild winter and we didn't see any at all, today 2 arrived early, does this mean a hard, early winter? Nice to see them, whatever the weather. :clap:

Any idea which one? There appear to be nearly 20 different birds with that name.

As to the rest, I think I'd get ready for a serious Winter season.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Any idea which one? There appear to be nearly 20 different birds with that name.

As to the rest, I think I'd get ready for a serious Winter season.

:clap3: When they first arrived I had to get the book out as in over 20 years here I'd never seen a siskin, then we were inundated with them, probably got a latin name so I'll look later, just siskins to me though. :clap3:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

:clap3: Had a pair of siskins around again today but they got outnumbered by the goldfinches so flew away. Hedgehog is still around, obviously still warm enough for him and enough feed around to stop him from hibernating at the moment. Still a frog or 2 in the pond, I'd better clean it out soon or they'll be spawn in it like last year, don't want to get caught out again. :clap3:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

lol, winter in full effect, weve had one air frost all autumn, its currently very mild after a very mild November, still got fan on.

Weird!

It's still October here. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...