Camping, Fishing & Eating Your Catch

Elton

Posted on behalf of Tom. Please add all replies to this thread. I'll also post a link from the fly-fishing forum, as that may well be a more appropriate suggestion.

Let's not send this one down the "just do what the immigrants do, etc.", please... :)

I have found it very difficult to obtain the information I am looking for from just browsing the net and wondered if you could enlighten me somewhat.

A friend and I have recently got quite keen on fishing and have done a fair amount of coarse fishing at a local club. We have both mentioned how great it would be to go camping for a weekend next to a lake or river and as I am a keen wannabe chef, would love to catch our meals and generally live off the land Ray Mears style for a couple of days.

I appreciate that there are obviously laws governing: where you can fish, and what, at different times of the year. We are quite keen on sticking to open land and not staying at a campsite to make it a really peaceful break away, but I’m finding it hard to locate a suitable place where we can legally fish, camp, and cook.

I really want to find out where we can legally fish and camp in the open countryside, and what laws would affect us. I have mentioned we would like to eat some of what we catch but also realise there are environmental laws governing how much one is allowed to take for personal consumption.

I try to be as environmentally aware as I can and although quite keen on a trip of this nature; I would want to know that we’re both being responsible, and obviously not doing anything illegal either.

Any advice on where we could go and the necessary permits needed would be greatly appreciated.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As good as it sounds I don't suppose there are too many locations that would allow such activity. Perhaps Scotland West Wales Cumbria or Ireland might be worth considering. I am sure our Emma could help, especially with Cumbria, As far as eating of fish, then of course you would want the cleanest of rivers I suspect, perhaps Brown and Brook Trout, the odd Salmon and Perch too, not to mention eels.

There was a TV series recently called the Reel Wars on Sky, two anglers competed over a two week period or so to catch 'for the pot' living off the land. The location was Scotland, and the venues were coast and lochs.

Good viewing too I thought, best of luck.

As good as it sounds I don't suppose there are too many locations that would allow such activity. Perhaps Scotland West Wales Cumbria or Ireland might be worth considering. I am sure our Emma could help, especially with Cumbria, As far as eating of fish, then of course you would want the cleanest of rivers I suspect, perhaps Brown and Brook Trout, the odd Salmon and Perch too, not to mention eels.

There was a TV series recently called the Reel Wars on Sky, two anglers competed over a two week period or so to catch 'for the pot' living off the land. The location was Scotland, and the venues were coast and lochs.

Good viewing too I thought, best of luck.

Welcome aboard Rabbit :clap2:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

While appearing open and remote in comparison with many parts of England, Cumbria is not the wild- west, and is subject to the same laws as the rest of the country. The Lake District national park which covers a large area, but not all of the county has some additional regulations which might impact upon your plans.

There are some campsites located on the edge of waters in which you could fish for your dinner. Ullswater springs to mind (http://www.parkfootullswater.co.uk/). The lake contains a decent head of brown trout and perch, bait fishing is allowed, and the fishing is free, but you will need an EA licence and there is a fair chance that this will be checked. Hawks head has campsites (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2234) and is close to Esthwaite water, a mixed trout and coarse fishery which has sections where any (non fly) methods are allowed, and you can take away your allowed bag of rainbows, of even buy them if you blank! There are thousands of other sites to ‘Google’ through and follow up with phone calls.

However you are unlikely to experience a sense of wildness at these locations, your fellow campers will be likely to surround you eating more conventional campers fare and even take aways from the towns.

The best of anglers, even on water which they are familiar with sometimes blank, when that happens on a usual type session it just means a refection session often after a hearty dinner wondering ‘where did I go wrong?’ However if you are relying on catching in order to eat then the blank might mean an uncomfortable hungry night.

The area does not abound with game to the extent that you are likely to fall over edible goodies. It’s unlikely that anyone will give you permission to shoot even their vermin without some prior arrangement.

If you are adventurous to the extent that you are happy to disregard the law, then you are liable to get more interesting ingredients, for example there are lots of wildfowl (which are often not especially ‘wild’) on the lakes and these can be easily caught with some simple devices, throw some bread around and in areas where they are used to being fed by tourists they will flock to you, in such situations a bit of bread flake and a size 8 to 2 hook works well, you have to kill the buggers quickly those as they make a racket and so are liable to alert upholders of the law.

You might find food literally ‘lying around’ in the form of road kill, the A66 between Penrith and Keswick usually produces something, if you want a culinary adventure have a go at eatin’ semi squashed fox! You can eat as many rabbits as you like and yet will still die of starvation (Wiseman 2004), but of course that should be a problem over a weekend.

If you want ‘veg’ with your meat then read up on the edible plants of the country and perhaps watch some episodes of ‘River cottage’ as Hugh seems quite clued up on them, be aware many parts of the lake district are harsh and barren.

You might be ok with small crawly things which no one especially cares if you eat, snails are fine, but need to be scoured for a few days before consuming, so not much unless you’re going to be out a while. Lobworms make an excellent source of protein and are easily caught in the right area, like on short wet grass at night, and it rains every day in Cumbria. Just run your forefinger along ‘em from head to tail to squirt the gritty soil out then fry ‘em up. Try mixing them with wild bird eggs (we are on the illegal option now).

Time of year is crucial, wild brown trout are already out of season, migratory trout and salmon go out at the end of this month. ‘Brook trout’ as someone suggested are an American species of Char and are only going to be in commercial enclosed fisheries. Winter is a difficult fishin’ time on the big lakes for any species.

If you are going to ‘do’ the lakes, then I would take with me some ‘wild’ type food, maybe some pheasants or pigeons, and I know at least one properly organic deer farm who will sell you a lump of ‘bloody beast’, that way combined with what you catch you will get the ‘flavour’ of wilderness cooking. As a fail safe I can give you the numbers of a couple of excellent local take aways. I recommend the prawn chilli masala!

Wiseman. L (2004) SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea. Harper Collins, London

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Back in the late '60s, living in Australia, I would sometimes go into the bush for a few days solitude (with some cans of beer, a bedroll, and a .22 rifle')

I found it hard adjusting to being back in London, all concrete, smelly traffic etc

So Dad and I decided a fishing/camping trip, heading West would provide relief.

That's when I discovered that every square metre of England was owned by someone, and fenced off.

And roadside verges attract those whose idea of fun is to remove tent pegs at 2am.

(And nowhere in the UK is far enough away from civilisation that you don't hear the sound of some kind of engine)

So, we mainly had to camp next to others in designated camping sites. :(

We were fishing in the sea, and back then caught plenty of fish for the pan.

But freshwater fishing rights are similarly the property of others.

If you want the kind of free outdoor experience and 'living off the land' that you seem to want, then I'd suggest Australia or the USA :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

If you are adventurous to the extent that you are happy to disregard the law, then you are liable to get more interesting ingredients, for example there are lots of wildfowl (which are often not especially ‘wild’) on the lakes and these can be easily caught with some simple devices, throw some bread around and in areas where they are used to being fed by tourists they will flock to you, in such situations a bit of bread flake and a size 8 to 2 hook works well, you have to kill the buggers quickly those as they make a racket and so are liable to alert upholders of the law.

This is unlikely to promote the public's view of anglers, no?

Unbelievable.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This is unlikely to promote the public's view of anglers, no?

Unbelievable.

Possibly said a bit tongue in cheek Anderoo?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Possibly said a bit tongue in cheek Anderoo?

Possibly. A lot of posts now end up about hunting and shooting or other various ways to kill things, it's just starting to irritate me. I guess I see fishing differently to a lot of people. Anyway, sorry to take this off topic.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I would have thought MC's sugeston of a coastal path yomp would have been the more apealing,(easily)legal and tasty option.

With maybe an estuary along the way to provide a bit of variety?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John