Camping, Fishing & Eating Your Catch

Elton

Oh well.... got any hints on venison roasts?

:-)

I am about to take delivery of a whole deer (from Kevin the friendly gamekeeper from out the back) and it will be in haunches (and stuff). I've had some experience of making venison roasts... using trivets, tons of lard, bowls of water and silver foil, but have never really got a satisfactory roast that does not dry out after a few minutes out of the oven.

Casseroles are a different matter. I am a master.

Any tips appreciated (sod the topic).

MC

Eat it rare, if it's not been hung up by the back legs for a couple or three weeks it's not fit to eat (IMO). Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but we've gotcha now, once you are weaned off scavenging luncheon meat onto delicious baked perch with ginger and spring onions, we will have you into barbel curries in no time. :lol:

No :angry: had a piece of curried spam only this evening, well for the sake of field testing

you have to.

Better not mention to Emma about eating barbel, still she is not likely ever to catch one so (a huge sigh of relief) <_<

Eat it rare, if it's not been hung up by the back legs for a couple or three weeks it's not fit to eat (IMO).

Agree entirely, eat it rare, or as my mate says when asked how he wants his steak cooked:

'just cut off its horns and wipe its ar5e"

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

No :angry: had a piece of curried spam only this evening, well for the sake of field testing

you have to.

Better not mention to Emma about eating barbel, still she is not likely ever to catch one so (a huge sigh of relief) <_<

But if she does!

Youtube Video ->

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I'm with Yorkio on this, nothing survives a twenty minute microwave session without having spent the previous five days in the freezer, at least nothing that'll fit in a microwave. Might have to give this a try but I'm pretty sure I'll be forwarding an organic paperweight to Emma soon after :P .

Back on topic, I doubt the OP will take a microwave :D

You lot don't spend much time in kitchens do you? why does the timer on my microwave go up to 30mins if nothing is going to survive after 20?

have a look at these...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1729,150160-227202,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726,159179-254193,00.html

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Basic%...e%20meat%20loaf

There are hundreds of microwave recipes which require 20 mins and longer.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

You lot don't spend much time in kitchens do you? why does the timer on my microwave go up to 30mins if nothing is going to survive after 20?

have a look at these...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1729,150160-227202,00.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1726,159179-254193,00.html

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Basic%...e%20meat%20loaf

There are hundreds of microwave recipes which require 20 mins and longer.

They are men, they don't cook they reheat ;)

They are men, they don't cook they reheat ;)

Aaaaah thanks, I see! ;):)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Possibly. A lot of posts now end up about hunting and shooting or other various ways to kill things, it's just starting to irritate me. I guess I see fishing differently to a lot of people. Anyway, sorry to take this off topic.

I dont think you did take this off topic mate :D ,

I also dont agree with you, I as a Sea and Game Angler, Make no distinction between hunting and fishing,I also started Angling as a very young child with a Boy scout type vision of being able to feed myself off of the land, This was always a bit of a challange in Woolwich South East London so I cut my teeth on Muddy old thames flounders And some quite tasty though no dought polluted Eels,not forgetting Scrumped Apples, and Black Berries these Generaly came From road side bushes and tasted of Petrol and diesel soot with a hint of Dog wee, I always thought It odd that every one left the realy low hanging fruit alone untill I got older :D My camp was Made from pallets on the derilict quays, Jettys and warfs that went on to be Thamesmead estate and River side developments.Bait was a pint of Brown shrimps from Berisford sqaure market Woollwich Arsenal or Maddies from the thames mud. I think it was a good question and a eqauly good awnser from Emma. I think My love of fishing and Shooting comes from a Primitive hunter gatherer side of my phsyci and Pressumed most out door types where the same, Mushroom foreggers, through Anglers to Wild fowlers.

Sorry To the Course Guys and Girls I awnserd this in the Fly Section, and didnt realise it it was moved over.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

I dont think you did take this off topic mate :D ,

I also dont agree with you, I as a Sea and Game Angler, Make no distinction between hunting and fishing,I also started Angling as a very young child with a Boy scout type vision of being able to feed myself off of the land, This was always a bit of a challange in Woolwich South East London so I cut my teeth on Muddy old thames flounders And some quite tasty though no dought polluted Eels,not forgetting Scrumped Apples, and Black Berries this Generaly came From road side Bushes ans tasted of Petral and diesel soot with a hint of Dog wee, I always thought It odd that every one left the realy low hanging fruit alone untill I got older :D My camp was Made from pallets on the derilict quays, Jettys and warfs that went on to be Thamesmead estate and River side developments.Bait was a pint of Brown shrimps from Berisford sqaure market Wooliwch Arsenal or Maddies from the thames mud. I think it was a good question and a eqauly good awnser from Emma. I think My love of fishing and Shooting comes from a Primitive hunter gatherer side of my phsyci and Pressumed most out door types where the same, Mushroom foreggers, through Anglers to Wild fowlers.

You sound a bit like me FB even although we spent our formative years in very different circumstances, you in the East End of London and me in the glens of Scotland. My first fishing experiences were also sea and game, catch and release did not come into it, only fish that were to small to eat or that we did not fancy eating were released, eels for example were regarded as being fit for otters and a pike would be either slung up the bank or taken home for the dogs.

only fish that were to small to eat or that we did not fancy eating were released, eels for example were regarded as being fit for otters and a pike would be either slung up the bank or taken home for the dogs.

And we were the other way round - when I was a kid, eels (for the pot) were the only things we actually went out looking for.