Airport Security

ColinW

It bugs me no end that every time I go on holiday I have to face the inconvenience of so called "airport security". In my mind, every penny spent searching old white grannies on their way out to Benidorm is a penny that can't be spent targetting people who are more likely to be real terrorists.

I also can't see the point in confiscating drinks (in sealed boxes from Asda) just so I have to buy replacements in WH Smiths on the other side of the barriers.

My suspicions about the total ineffectiveness of our security systems have all proved to be true with the news that one of the girls in the airport WH Smiths where we buy our replacement drinks is a flaming terrorist!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7084801.stm

So the plane bombers didn't need to bring stuff through the security at all, she could just hand them over the counter! Absolute farce.

and on the otherside of the Atlantic.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7084338.stm

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Blimey :o on both accounts...

Whats this all about?

"Malik was bailed under what the judge described as "house arrest" until her sentencing on 6 December."

Whats that all about? Sentence immediately and put the rest of the house

under house arrest :mellow:

1509tarpon_75_.gif

i agree totally colin...a lot of the uk "security" forces appear to be just power hungry jobsworths...a friend of mine flew from exeter to alicante last week, with his wife and young child.he went through security at exeter, his wife was stopped because she had 4 soft cheeses for their kid to eat on the trip...they said she could only take 2.

so my mate picked up the 2 that were taken away from her......and he carried them!

he smiled at the security woman,to be told"rules are rules"....brains dont come into it it appears.

The no liquids in the hand luggage applies from Spain as well Captain, (though not the jobsworths), it has really messed up as we used to always bring back 3 litres of unfiltered cold pressed extra virgin Olive Oil.

I did manage to bring back 2 kilos of chorizo in its place though and nothing was said.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

In the first post one would have to assume she did not have any form of record when she applied for the job, refusing her the position on the basis of her religion was not an option. It does not mean the security screwed up that is what make these attacks so deadly.

The company in the USA abused their position and the directors/ owners/ managers should all pay the price with heavy prison sentences as they did not give a damn about passenger safety.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The no liquids in the hand luggage applies from Spain as well Captain, (though not the jobsworths), it has really messed up as we used to always bring back 3 litres of unfiltered cold pressed extra virgin Olive Oil.

I did manage to bring back 2 kilos of chorizo in its place though and nothing was said.

Tony

Its also possible that the "no liquids in hand luggae" rule is very fluid (get the pun? :D ) .

We flew back to the UK from Santander a couple of weeks ago and carried through various bottles of oil among other things and didn't have any problems.

The items were not hidden away, but were in an open topped bag clearly visible.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Tony

hi tony, yea they check here(at alicante), ive flown three times from there this year, and been checked each time.

what they dont do though is have that @rsehole attitude(im sure you have noticed!) :lol:

ive been speaking with my mate i posted about, just a few minutes ago, he said they also took a bunch of 3 bananas away from them??but did return all of them after they "checked it was ok to take them" :lol: what on earth is that all about?since when have bananas been a notifiable weapon!LMAO!

well done on the chorizo tony! that will keep you going for a week or two! :lol:

Edited by captain cojones

I work in Ireland and fly between Dublin and Glasgow 3 times a month. Dublin Airport securuity takes some beating. I was behind a gentleman in the queue who had a stunt kite he had bought for his son. They made him open it and remove the string as it could be used as a weapon. In the shop through security they were selling the same item complete with string. When politely asked why, the security got quite stroppy and just argued that those were the rules.

At Glasgow Airport, during the Ryder cup week in Ireland, I came into security to hear a guard saying firmly to an elderly American couple to sit there and he would sort it. I was intrigued thinking that Uncle Sam had a couple of Geriatric terrorists. It turns out that the couple had a load of Whisky minatures in their hand luggage they had collected on a distillery tour. The guard sorted it all right. Two glasses were produced and the couple where invited to take the liquid "On board" before their flight. (Common sense being applied at a time when no liquids were allowed)

On another occasion in Glasgow a crowd of workers in Overalls were in front of me. A bag was going backwards and forwards through the scanner and giving security some concern. The bag was opened and a 2 foot long shifting spanner was taken out of it. The guards, to the amusement a of the gentlemans work mates surrounding him, politely explained that this would need to go hold baggage. The gentleman looked crestfallen as he complained to the guard, "but this is my favoutite one".

Strange people we have travelling these days.

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

The worst of it is, while they are hassling old grannies about having a bottle of water, they let me and my Iraqi workmate board flights with one of these. It's only an exhaust gas analyser, but if anything looks more dodgy I don't know what it is.

quintox9106m.jpg

Ignore the captions, I couldn't be bothered uploading my own photo!

Edited by ColinW