Pike exam

Anderoo

I'm not feeling 100% at the moment so yesterday I bought an AT so I had something fishy to read while I felt sorry for myself (some big old perch in there this week!). One article was about having to pass a 'pike exam' before being allowed to fish for them and cited the Farnham AS scheme as evidence of the benefits of this. I used to fish the Farnham waters (and still would if I hadn't moved away) and I thought it was a brilliant idea that you had to prove competence in handling and unhooking pike before having your club book stamped and being free to pike fish in club waters (as well as being shown how to tie good rigs and traces, shown good rigs and indications, etc.). In my opinion all clubs should do the same thing - although this does rely on all waters being regularly baliffed to enforce it.

However (bet you knew that was coming!) the article went further and cited a club who asked their members to also pass a written exam. It listed a few sample multi-choice questions (I'm not sure whether they were from that club or if AT had made them up) which were for the most part nonsense. The idea that you could fail this exam for getting one of these wrong is almost funny. Sometimes 10lb mono is acceptable when piking, and sometimes you may wish to use a large single hook.

I've forgotten what the point of this topic was now :rolleyes: *eats more iboprofen*

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are to be entrusted with the life of any creature on this planet, I believe you should have to complete some form of competency test. This would not have to be just for pike, it could be a general handling course.

I think you're right - the one that springs to mind is children :rolleyes::D

I do think pike are a special case though, purely because they're such fragile creatures and because they're essential to the overall health of a fishery.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think you're right - the one that springs to mind is children :rolleyes::D

I do think pike are a special case though, purely because they're such fragile creatures and because they're essential to the overall health of a fishery.

re the underlined bit I take you mean other than the practical exam :huh:

Can you do the exam in Polish? :lol:

I'll get me coat............

Interesting idea but don't know how enforceable such things can be.

Rather than an exam it might be more useful to hold "How to fish for Pike" days a few times a year, although I know a lot of PAC regions have these.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

After witnessing some of the appallingly bad fishing practice and complete ignorance of some so-called anglers over this past year, I think a compulsory exam before you are issued with a licence is an excellent idea. I'm sure this would sort out the people who were serious about learning the sport from the idiots who just don't care about anything other than themselves. At least then you'd know the basics of good fish handling and angling techniques. Before I started, I read every book and magazine I could find, and lurked on various angling forums to try and learn the basics. Firstly, because I didn't want to look like a total numpty, and secondly because I actually do care about fish welfare.

I think angling clubs should take a lot more responsibility. After all, it's in their best interests to ensure that anglers respect both the fishery and the fish, isn't it?

Janet

Good ideas,

Espiacialy fish handling and unhooking.

But funding would be an issue if it was rolled out Nationaly,Secondly I would imagine it would be met by resistance from the Ive been fishing for thirty years brigade, Can you you remeber how much resistance somthing common sence like compulsary seat belt wearing created. I would be prepared to pay a one off thirty quid though on top of my licence fee though got to be worth it.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Can you do the exam in Polish? :lol:

I'll get me coat............

Interesting idea but don't know how enforceable such things can be.

Rather than an exam it might be more useful to hold "How to fish for Pike" days a few times a year, although I know a lot of PAC regions have these.

extremely enforcable after you attend the pike teach in you get a red stamp in your permit without it you cannot pike fish ,once taken the red stamp appears in every permit then on.

not sure why a written exam is needed in the other example surely pike wouldnt understand alice in wonderland being narrated to them on the unhooking mat nor the written text either <_<

cant remember its been so long since i took my teach-in but i'v stopped bleeding now ;)

its mandatory for bailiffs to attend (i took mine long before i became one) but if you dont fish for pike then its optional for the member but i would prefer it mandatory for all as you dont have to concentrate on pike fishing alone to catch them accidentally.

mind you the stamp is like a driving licence it doesent ensure you do anything wrong after you have it thats where other anglers enter the arena by tipping off the bailiff (discretely ofcourse) that perhaps a word is needed with the offending angler about his methods ,a quiet word usually works but bailiffs can and occasionally do confiscate permits on the spot ,the angler can then plead his case in front of the committee

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

cant remember its been so long since i took my teach-in but i'v stopped bleeding now ;)

its mandatory for bailiffs to attend (i took mine long before i became one) but if you dont fish for pike then its optional but i would prefer it mandatory for all as you dont have to concentrate on pike fishing alone to catch them accidentally

Why not have a series of species specific mandatory exams? (Written, oral and practical).

After all you can't predict exactly what your going to catch. :rolleyes:

Each exam would be reviewed yearly before a licence could be issued.

Then we could introduce medicals, to see if you are in a fit state, mentally and physically to fish for your preferred species.

These would decide if you were brave enough to fish for pike, patient enough to session fish for carp,

physically fit enough to stalk chub, etc.

Then if you failed any or all of these, you would only be licenced to fish commercial 'puddles'. :rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John